The Student Room Group

What's COLLEGE like instead of SECONDARY SCHOOL? UK

--
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
compared to school college was cool as hell.

A lot more chilled. More respect from the tutors.

although more freedom comes with responsibility.
Reply 2
You don't have the annoying year 7s in college. When I was in sixth form, one of my teachers was also the Head of Science. So when someone from the younger years was naughty, we'd get them. During lesson changeover, they'd make a lot of noise. People at college are generally more mature.
My 6th form is attached to the secondary school but even in that environment things are SO much better. Everything is generally more chilled, you get less muppets mucking about (though there are still some in classes) as everyone taking a subject generally enjoys it, the content is far more interesting (chemistry GCSE = snooze-fest, chemistry A-level = enjoyable, but taxing subject)

And, not to be underestimated, banter with teachers is actually quite common in 6th form, and there are loads of quite funny moments you don't get in lower school with teachers. An example was when a philosophy teacher looked in on my chemistry class, looked at a mechanism on the board and whispered 'sorcery' to us.
Original post by 00user
Hey, i'm going to college in september and i'm just wondering what it's like in comparison to secondary school/high school. The things that bothered me in secondary school were things like the teacher asking you to speak something in a book or forcing people to interact in group discussions and stuff like that... is there more freedom in college? like less social interaction? (not that i dislike making friends, its just in school you were sought of forced to speak to people perhaps you didn't like or annoyed you)...

And also, is there more of an age-range in college? Like different people of all ages like more mature adults rather than annoying kids being forced to go by their parents.... you know what i mean..

thanks.

The workload is quite a lot higher, but the teachers won't push you along. If you don't hand in your work then you'll be told that you're an idiot but they won't punish you until they've got the work. You've got to be dedicated.

I don't think there's any less 'social interaction' as you put it, but I find that the difference is that you don't actually have to get involved. In some of my classes I just work on my own even if I get told to work in a group, because a lot of people just don't want to do anything or are much clever/not as clever as I am. (when I say they don't want to do anything, I just mean that they'd rather just cover the stuff at home. They're not disruptive or irritating or anything)

There's not really a very broad age range. Everyone is between 16 and 19, with a couple of exceptions. I've found that everyone is a lot more mature and easy to get on with. Everyone just sticks in their groups and doesn't hassle anyone else, it's quite nice. They kick the disruptive kids who don't want to be there out really fast. If someone is being difficult in class then the teacher is pretty likely to just kick them off the course.

So yeah, big difference from school but it's a good kind of difference. I much prefer college to school, except for the workload. :smile:
College is brilliant, can't complain really. The majority of teachers treat you as an equal not as a child and it's encouraged to do well in my studies (the jury is still out on the grades though :tongue:)

I still have to do group work but everyone on college is eager to learn and therefore the quality of discussions is much greater and you should enjoy it.

I find there's a lot more freedom, you can go off campus, teachers let you do independent work in the library or something, as I said they treat you as equals.

It's a big step up but if you're mature enough to take it then you'll love it, the annoying kids flake out early on.
Reply 6
--
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 00user
Hey, i'm going to college in september and i'm just wondering what it's like in comparison to secondary school/high school. The things that bothered me in secondary school were things like the teacher asking you to speak something in a book or forcing people to interact in group discussions and stuff like that... is there more freedom in college? like less social interaction? (not that i dislike making friends, its just in school you were sought of forced to speak to people perhaps you didn't like or annoyed you)...

And also, is there more of an age-range in college? Like different people of all ages like more mature adults rather than annoying kids being forced to go by their parents.... you know what i mean..

thanks.

Helloo, I started college last September and I pretty much had the same questions as you did. I'll make some simple, straight forwards facts about college.

-It's only fun for the 1st month or so, because as time goes on, work increases :frown:
-Lessons start at different time each day, so sometimes it starts at 1.00pm, so you can SLEEP IN! Some lucky people get whole days off. It's more likely to happen if you're doing vocational subjects though.
-However, it can sometimes be annoying, because you'll get bored and you'll have to make lots of journeys. Eg; I have lessons from 9-12.15 on a Monday then I have a 4 HOUR :angry: gap. Then I have my final lesson of the day at 4-5 :frown:
-Don't think the gaps you have is free time, especially after about 2 months. If you don't knuckle down and start some revision, you'll go crazy before exams. Trust me, I know :colondollar:.
-You can call teachers by their first names and they're far more approachable and friendlier than school teachers.
-You can sit wherever you want and so when doing group discussions, you're more likely to be around people you like :smile:
-HOWEVER, some teachers are still mean enough to put you into groups.
-Also, you're going to HAVE to talk to new people, because you wouldn't most probably know anyone in your classes. Eg; in my Chem class, there isn't one person from my secondary school. Don't worry about making friends, because everyone's in the same position and it'll get sorted quickly. You WILL still have friendship groups, but people will be more nicer to you, no matter who you are.
-You DON'T HAVE TO attend your classes, but the only problem is that you'll fail your exams.
- You're more accepted for who you are :smile:
-Finally, you might think school is hell and you'd still think that up till Christmas, but then you WILL start to miss school no matter how horrible it was. And that is a fact.

Hope that's enough info for you. Good luck fellow student :biggrin:
Reply 8
--
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 00user
Thanks a lot for that. The working hard part actually really doesn't bother me, the only bad thing about it really was the fact i'll have to make new friends, which i seem to find really hard to do. The thing is i actually left school the same time as you but didn't stay onto college, i actually worked until about 3 weeks ago and now i've decided that if i'm going to make it in this world i guess i should try for a degree and pursue something i enjoy.

Thanks, again.

BTW - When you said vocational subjects, does that mean a trade?

Hi :smile: Don't worry about making friends :smile:(I felt the same as you on my first day!) Everyone there is in the same position as you and you're all there because you're interested in that subject. It shouldn't be a problem after a week or two :smile:

Vocational courses are courses that involves a lot of 'doing' rather than sitting in a class room and learning. Art, hair dressing, catering, travel and tourism are all vocational.

Exact meaning when I googled it :biggrin:- Any course that is intended at least to train students for a particular profession, career or job. They often...
Reply 10
--
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending