The Student Room Group

Anyone taking CIE iGCSE in May/June 2013?

Hey, is anyone taking the CIE IGCSE in May/June 2013? I am doing it so just curious who is doing it on TSR! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Me, for English Language and English Literature, my 2 least favourite subjects :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same as above, also my 2 least favourite subjects :frown:
I am. For Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, French, Literature, First Language English, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Geography, Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Art (Art's already started, though).
Reply 4
Original post by SammySingally
I am. For Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, French, Literature, First Language English, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Geography, Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Art (Art's already started, though).

Yeaaaaah..
I am doing
Arabic
English Language (1st)
Maths
Bio
Chem
Physics :smile:)
Reply 5
Original post by Bude8
Same as above, also my 2 least favourite subjects :frown:

oh god.. I hate English.. so hard! I do the 2 hour past paper in like 2.5 hours.. In other subjects I only use 1/3 of the time!!!!!!
Original post by iGCSE lover
oh god.. I hate English.. so hard! I do the 2 hour past paper in like 2.5 hours.. In other subjects I only use 1/3 of the time!!!!!!

What is it that you find hard in English. I'm pretty sure I should be able to help.

(quick tip for English(1st lang), you know the paper that has two argumentative/discursive, directed and narrative writing at the back and you have to pick one to do, always pick the narrative because you can use your imagination and get great marks for just writing whatever).
Reply 7
Original post by SammySingally
What is it that you find hard in English. I'm pretty sure I should be able to help.

(quick tip for English(1st lang), you know the paper that has two argumentative/discursive, directed and narrative writing at the back and you have to pick one to do, always pick the narrative because you can use your imagination and get great marks for just writing whatever).

Ahaa!!! I usually gofor argumantative.. But I will see what i can do with narrative. Thank you very much!!
My biggest problem is that I dont write enough, my grammar and punctuation are fine, but I just can't write 350-400 words in one hour :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I am doing english, maths, science, french and my two least favorite, please can you answer mine, anyone
Reply 9
Original post by Niral9
I am doing english, maths, science, french and my two least favorite, please can you answer mine, anyone

Ummm, What do you want me to answer :smile:
Hey guys I'm doin add Maths, Maths, Malay, bio, chem, phy, and eng as a 1st Lang! I have a problem with my eng paper tho! My teacher said I'm weak in expressin myself (question 2) and weak in my vocab! So she told me 2 do argumentative and/or descriptive writing! Bt nt narrative! How do u study n do well for eng paper 2 & 3? Thank u! :redface:
& I also understand wht ur goin thru igcse lover! Abt nt finishing it on time!
Reply 12
Original post by JohnPereira
& I also understand wht ur goin thru igcse lover! Abt nt finishing it on time!

yee!!! annoying
Reply 13
Original post by iGCSE lover
Ummm, What do you want me to answer :smile:

thank you, atleast one person wants to answer my question lol, well, i am 15, i get mostly b's and really want to get into a good university, will i?
And a question for my friend, are you allowed to lie in your personal statement? Like saying you do all sports and music, thank you??????
Reply 14
Original post by Niral9
thank you, atleast one person wants to answer my question lol, well, i am 15, i get mostly b's and really want to get into a good university, will i?
And a question for my friend, are you allowed to lie in your personal statement? Like saying you do all sports and music, thank you??????

I'm 13 doing it inJune. I usually get A* and A's.
I started revising for iGCSE in Summer 2012, because , I'm doing it alone, noy llt with school/clas.
I finished all the subjects around December 2012, therfore givong me around 5-6 months for Past papers (sarcastic yay). I'm currently doing 2 past papers a weekday, and 4 a weekend.. Adding upto 18 past papers a week. So what i think u should do is do 2-3-4-5 Past papers for EACH subject review your mistakes and read around the subject. A* in the 6th paper guaranteed ^_^ hope i helped..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Niral9

My advice, don't lie. Tell your friend that. At my school interviews, I was asked stuff that had to do with my personal statement. The questions were asked indirectly, but still they led up to my personal statement. Tell your friend to just be his/herself and not lie. That's the best way to go. Or, your friend could quickly do some extra-curricular stuff, do something in music or sports before sending out his/her personal statement so he/she doesn't have to lie.

Some uni's would like to know your IGCSE grades, but Sixth Form grades count more with getting into a good uni. My bro's in uni, that's how I know.
Original post by JohnPereira
Hey guys I'm doin add Maths, Maths, Malay, bio, chem, phy, and eng as a 1st Lang! I have a problem with my eng paper tho! My teacher said I'm weak in expressin myself (question 2) and weak in my vocab! So she told me 2 do argumentative and/or descriptive writing! Bt nt narrative! How do u study n do well for eng paper 2 & 3? Thank u! :redface:

Honestly, I never study for English papers. However, you can read up something quickly on writer's effect and stuff like that so you remember how to answer questions on them. Also, practice with past question papers and for those questions that say something like 15 marks for content and 10 for quality of writing, under the question, plan out what you're going to write. Write down all the contents and make sure you have at least 7 points written down then put them all together, don't repeat points, use this method to answer the question (this is what I use) it's call the P.E.E it means, Point, Evidence, Explanation. Works well with answering questions in both English and Literature.
Also, in summary writing, make sure you don't say too much, just give what is asked for and don't bother explaining anything. Join your points together so it doesn't seem like you're just listing them out.
I have some handouts from my teacher on Writer's Effect, Argumentative/Discursive writing and stuff like that, would you like me to photocopy them and put them up here for you?
Seriously I didnt know u need to hv 7 points!!! all this while I thought it ws 15 points! Haizz thanks 4 lettin me knw! :smile: Feel stupid! Haha yea I am doin the past year papers hv 5 more papers 2 do 4 paper 2 (m/j series) excluding paper 3! There's so much more! Hw on earth did u finish all of it b4 the exams? >< n the P.E.E thing really helps thank u! Bt when u say evidence n explanation do u mean like elaborating ur points? I seem to b ok with summary writing tx god bt thanks 4 helpin m on that! oh really yes please! Tq so much Sammy Singally! Hope it's no trouble 4 u! :smile: appreciate it! (need any help lemme knw) haha tx
I believe at least 12 points is better than the 7. (I just remembered something an IB teacher (who now teaches IGCSE English) told me).
Evidence = proof from the passage
Explanation = Why you think what you pulled out as your evidence gives the effect you are talking about or something.

We do past questions from time to time in class and I do some at home. I believe I've only done one 2012 paper, though, so I still have a few to go. Also, I've been doing both May/June and Oct/Nov.
Oh ok haha thanks! I see so it's how the writer words gave an impact on me alone? I see I kinda get it now! Thanks. I only did may/June 2011-2006 but I have to redo 2009 because my teacher said I went out of point. I haven't started on oct yet because I wanted to understand how to ans q2! Haha how do u find q2? Easy?

Quick Reply

Latest