The Student Room Group

Anyone taking CIE iGCSE in May/June 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
The utter suggestion that the examiners stop marking after a certain amount of lines is complete rubbish. Ludicrous!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 381
Original post by alexgr97
The utter suggestion that the examiners stop marking after a certain amount of lines is complete rubbish. I have never heard of anything like this!

Completely agree..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisyde
No really?do they do that? Wow! We were ever told that, our teachers told us not to write more but they checked with the exam board asunder said that we can still use more paper if needed? So I wrote 2 pages and a half for q 2 and 1 page and a half for q 3, is that ok?

I believe that we're allowed to use more paper (or use a bit more than 42 lines) only if we crossed out a lot of things in what we were writing. If there are very few cancellations, once 42 lines have been counted, a line is drawn and nothing below that will be marked (same with French, once they give a certain number of words, anything above that will not be marked).
What has happened, has happened, we can't change the past. So, just work on the next English paper and try not to use twice the amount of pages required (if a limit is given).

I didn't finish my paper. I was on the last number when we were asked to stop writing. I had an issue with the hand I was writing with (I had a failed surgery on it some years ago and my arm, with it's bad timing, decided to act up and hurt a lot during the exam, so, I had to stop writing for a few minutes, till the pain stopped). I'm both-handed, but my handwriting's different on both hands. I write in script (cursive) on my write hand and in like single letters (nothing joining) on my left, plus the pain was really bad so, it's not like I could have just switched hands (plus the sudden, obvious change in handwriting might raise some eyebrows). Anyways, threshold is about 28-35 for an A, I think. So, I'm praying I get an A on that paper and an A* grade on the next English paper.

Also, how many words did you guys get for the writer's effect (for the passage on Tom Vincent's journey to Cherry Creek). I got a total of 16 or 17 (can't remember, but it's one of the two).
Reply 383
On question 1 on the passage about alaska it wrote a dialog but it was ment to be in a speech form.I did put all the nessasery points in the dialog.How many marks do you think I will lose?
Reply 384
for q1 what skills and knowledge did you talk about?
Reply 385
Original post by allie234
for q1 what skills and knowledge did you talk about?

I just talked about needing to know how to keep warm as this was vital for survival; building a fire and the process especially. Then I said to be wary of the deceiving frozen creeks and then generally just to keep moving as if you didn't, frostbite would be upon you very soon. Oh and then I mentioned to be careful about avalanches no matter how minor they could be they could cause a major impact (extinguishing the fire).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexgr97
The utter suggestion that the examiners stop marking after a certain amount of lines is complete rubbish. Ludicrous!

Not really ludicrous. They do that for French. They literally count your words and after the word limit they cross a line through. It's all in the mark scheme.
Reply 387
Original post by sellerofdreams
Not really ludicrous. They do that for French. They literally count your words and after the word limit they cross a line through. It's all in the mark scheme.

Yes, same for Spanish, because there's an 140 word limit. Here, there is no word limit, they just recommend you write 1 and 1/2 - 2 pages or whatever.

Edit: Last year's mark scheme. Mentions nothing about taking off marks. http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(0500)/0500_s12_ms_23.pdf

Second edit: Found this from an examiner's report. "As usual, Examiners were instructed not to be over-strict and only to penalise when the amount written was clearly excessive. Neither candidates nor Examiners are expected to count words." They only knock off in the summary, not the other two.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 388
Physics.. Good Luck =D
Reply 389
did physics paper 32 just now.. i think it is easier than the past papers before, besides having tons of drawing.. what do you think??
Reply 390
Good luck for Physics Paper 3 today guys! Should be easy, physics has never been really that hard o.O
I have physics IGCSE paper 33 today and im very nervous
Original post by JackTeh96
did physics paper 32 just now.. i think it is easier than the past papers before, besides having tons of drawing.. what do you think??

I hated all the stupid drawing. Um I thought it was alright, not easier than the previous papers, but alright nonetheless. It was quite long.
I hated all the stupid drawing. Um I thought it was alright, not easier than the previous papers, but alright nonetheless. It was quite long.

It was very long... almost not enough time to finish....
Had the EngLang paper yesterday (Alaska then Spanish Civil War). Really disliked the first question, found myself writing far more on the experience itself than what was needed/learned. I actually found the Orwell piece very interesting - that's the nerd in me shining through - and I thought the summary went well. A little concerned that I wrote about 2.5 pages for question 2.
Reply 395

I managed to finish the exam five minutes before it ended. have 5 min to check the answers :smile:
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
Had the EngLang paper yesterday (Alaska then Spanish Civil War). Really disliked the first question, found myself writing far more on the experience itself than what was needed/learned. I actually found the Orwell piece very interesting - that's the nerd in me shining through - and I thought the summary went well. A little concerned that I wrote about 2.5 pages for question 2.

Yeah, I had the same problem with the first question. There really wasn't a lot to glean from the text for the final bullet point and I was wary of making things up... The second passage was definitely more interesting and there were so many points to include for the summary. It was harder finding stuff for the Alaska passage, but I think that over the two summaries you just need 15 points?
Reply 397
Original post by EmilyJane1234
Yeah it went ok, I wrote 2 and a 1/2 pages for question 2 though so I think I'll lose max 3 marks for that, not sure if I'll lose that many for writing too much though. Have you got any idea on grade boundaries??:confused:

I think you'll be alright, I wrote far too much for question 1 but then I was fine after that (I think it was the whole 'recount the story' thing, I used too much detail...)

RE grade boundaries, you need 90 UMS for A*, 80 for A etc. They change the grade thresholds each year for the ums though so we just have to cross our fingers.

Original post by iGCSE lover
It was about the Spanish Civil war not WW2 :P heheh

Haha, shows how good I am at history then :tongue: I think I just assumed 30s... war... must be WW2!
Original post by effortlesswhirl
Yeah, I had the same problem with the first question. There really wasn't a lot to glean from the text for the final bullet point and I was wary of making things up... The second passage was definitely more interesting and there were so many points to include for the summary. It was harder finding stuff for the Alaska passage, but I think that over the two summaries you just need 15 points?

Yes you do only need 15.
60% of my language GCSE is for coursework and 40% for exam, and I have 49/50 in my first piece of coursework and needed 48 for an A* and i have 28/30 for my second piece which you needed 27/30 for an A*. So for my exam what would I have to get to get an A?:smile:
Reply 399
Original post by EmilyJane1234
Yes you do only need 15.
60% of my language GCSE is for coursework and 40% for exam, and I have 49/50 in my first piece of coursework and needed 48 for an A* and i have 28/30 for my second piece which you needed 27/30 for an A*. So for my exam what would I have to get to get an A?:smile:

I did the same coursework options as you, and the average raw mark out of 125 to get an A* I remember from past mark schemes is about 106, with 50 marks from the exam, 50 from coursework and 25 from speaking and listening. I don't know about other grades though, and I've been looking everywhere to find the site I got that from...

Quick Reply

Latest