The Student Room Group

Anyone taking CIE iGCSE in May/June 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by algorithm

Edit: Why was I negged? I wasn't being sarcastic :/

I don't know :/ I pos repped you back as I didn't understand why you'd received that neg. People seem to neg for really weird reasons on TSR now :/
Reply 981
I don't find out until next Thursday how I did in CIE IGCSE English Lit :frown:
Original post by itsn0b0dy
I don't find out until next Thursday how I did in CIE IGCSE English Lit :frown:

Same here, we can stress together!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 983
So I got 79% (B) on Maths and 88% (A) on English Lit. Does anyone think these are worth remarking or not, because I don't want to waste money or get a lower grade...??
Reply 984
Original post by lcdrz
So I got 79% (B) on Maths and 88% (A) on English Lit. Does anyone think these are worth remarking or not, because I don't want to waste money or get a lower grade...??

See my previous posts on re-marks (this page and the previous page of this thread).

It is my understanding that you get to keep the higher grade even if on re-marking an examiner grades it lower. However, check with your exam board to be sure.
Reply 985
Original post by Angelil
See my previous posts on re-marks (this page and the previous page of this thread).

It is my understanding that you get to keep the higher grade even if on re-marking an examiner grades it lower. However, check with your exam board to be sure.

Do you think it is a good idea to resit next summer? I don't want to put pressure on my AS level by resitting Language and Literature but I really want to go to top universities. What do top universities think of re sitting?
As you're a teacher I would really like to know your opinions.
Thanks
Reply 986
Original post by alexSH
Do you think it is a good idea to resit next summer? I don't want to put pressure on my AS level by resitting Language and Literature but I really want to go to top universities. What do top universities think of re sitting?
As you're a teacher I would really like to know your opinions.
Thanks

I think my advice is different to those going into Year 11 (as opposed to Year 12).
If you are receiving these results in Year 10 (because your school has put you in early) then I recommend resitting in Year 11. Chances are you will be sitting more (I)GCSEs in Year 11 and will be in the right 'zone' - so adding a resit to other (I)GCSE papers is not such a big leap.

As you quite rightly point out, if you have received these results in Year 11 and are now going into Year 12, it is probably better to move on with your new qualifications and concentrate on those. In this case, asking for a re-mark is a better option than resitting - not because I think you have a higher chance of your mark being changed (I don't!), but because it enables you to truly close the doors on the matter.

Resitting exams in Year 11 that you have taken in Year 10 also still looks OK, as in Year 11 you are the 'right' age to be taking them. If you are in Year 12 and resitting exams whose grades you were unhappy with in Year 11, universities will be able to see from the year of your resit and possibly also your age that you are taking this exam 'later' and thus declaring a grade that you got from taking the exam the second time, not the first. It's therefore not unreasonable to assume that they may not view this favourably - especially as it will be plain that you are taking it in the same session as your AS Level.

In your situation, Alex, I'd therefore apply for a re-mark. (And do it quickly! The window for these things is very short. Telephone your exams officer on Monday.)

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Hi just got my igcse result and I don"t know how to feel.pleas drop your opinions :\

Maths_ E
english_A
Biology_E
economics_C
Literatue_B
Ict_B
business studies_b 1mark from an A
Reply 988
Hey all,

I'm doing iGCSE English too.
If I fail my GCSE English Language and pass my iGCSE English then can I put this iGCSE as my GCSE for English? As I can't do a levels without a C in English

Are iGCSE's same as GCSE's or can't I put down I've got a C in english if I don't get it for English Language (but do get a C/B for iGCSE English)??

Help!
Reply 989
I'm saying this because this is what I think will happen. Fail the normal English Language GCSE and pass the iGCSE that I did because of this. So will this iGCSE count as my compulsory C for college/6th form to do A levels?
Reply 990
I think it's highly unlikely that you will have failed your English Language GCSE if you got a good grade in the IGCSE.
But the short answer is that yes, you may put your IGCSE English down in place of the GCSE English Language. They are both equally valid.
The main difference is that IGCSEs are coursework-free (generally!) and so can be taken in one year, which tends to suit students in international schools better as they frequently move schools yearly.
Reply 991
Original post by madhatter17
Hi just got my igcse result and I don"t know how to feel.pleas drop your opinions :\

Maths_ E
english_A
Biology_E
economics_C
Literatue_B
Ict_B
business studies_b 1mark from an A

Well done in your English, Business, ICT and Eco :smile:
Maths and Bio are clearly more of a concern, especially Maths - an E in Maths could bar you from certain universities and even from certain career routes in future.
Are you in Year 10 or Year 11?
I got an A* in maths, happy days!
Does anyone know when grade boundaries will be available - I'm curious! :smile:
Hi, on the CIE Results plus website for my English 0500 First Language Course( paper 2 + coursework) i scored 87. I was just wondering what exactly does this number mean. I achieved an A grade and i was hoping to get an A*. I went online and i found the official grade thresholds, only 84% is required for an A*. Could someone explain to me why i didnt get the A* grade?
Reply 994
Original post by bccl12797127
Hi, on the CIE Results plus website for my English 0500 First Language Course( paper 2 + coursework) i scored 87. I was just wondering what exactly does this number mean. I achieved an A grade and i was hoping to get an A*. I went online and i found the official grade thresholds, only 84% is required for an A*. Could someone explain to me why i didnt get the A* grade?

Where did you find the official grade thresholds? Are they for this year?
Even last year, they were asking 90% as an average across both components to get an A* (with 80 = A, 70 = B, 60 = C and so on).
Okay, basically The grade thresholds refer to raw marks. Which means the actual percentage which you got. They change every year, though usually not by much. The mark you get on your resul sheet is NOT your raw mark. It has been scaled up or down.
So if I got 90 UMS for English, that DOES NOT mean that I got 90% in the English exam. If the grade threshold forenglish was 74 for an a*, that means I got 74% or near there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meandmydream
I got an A* in maths, happy days!
Does anyone know when grade boundaries will be available - I'm curious! :smile:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/iuxtawn7rrkdh/Cambridge_IGCSE
Can someone tell me how and why the grade boundaries for CIE IGCSE change every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 998
Original post by ArsenalForLife
Can someone tell me how and why the grade boundaries for CIE IGCSE change every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good question! I've never moderated for IGCSEs or GCSEs of any kind, so this is just an educated guess, but I would say that the reason for the changes is most likely that moderators look at the overall performance of a cohort and adjust boundaries according to that. For instance, if an entire cohort apparently found the exam difficult, with very few grades over 70%, they may lower the boundaries in order to account for the fact that the exam was apparently trickier than expected. That's an extreme example, but I expect they adjust very slightly each year to account for scenarios that are like this on a much smaller scale.

As for 'how' these changes are decided, it would be a matter of senior examiners/moderators chewing it over until they came to a consensus. These are people with many years of experience in both exam-setting and teaching.

One way to get some insight into the examiners' thought processes is to read the examiners' report after it comes out (I still haven't seen hide or hair of the report for IGCSE FLE for 2013 though :tongue: ) - so I'd always recommend doing that.
Reply 999
Does anyone know grade boundaries for Biology, Physics and Chemistry? I just want to know what you need for an A grade.

Quick Reply

Latest