The Student Room Group

Essex blonde, 16, has Einstein IQ

Apparently this is a big story this morning - the Telegraph have given it the front page treatment. Of course, Einstein never took an IQ test, but they put it in the headline anyway.

Lauren Marbe, 16, from Essex, the blonde daughter of a black cab driver, has passed the Mensa test with an IQ of 161.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9865246/Essex-teenager-has-higher-IQ-than-Einstein.html

Lauren from Loughton also (according to the article) beat Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates (both on 160).

She likes Towie and wants to read Architecture at Cambridge.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Einstein never even took an IQ test
Original post by GPODT

Yes, apparently "experts" have "calculated" his score, according to the article. :rolleyes:
they have not allowed comments because the writer knows she will get backlash for writing tripe

the writer should be fired for writing worthless articles

on average at least 10-20 people in every year group have an iq above 160, it is nothing newsworthy but the writer has somehow lost her brain.

The telegraph is nearly as bad as the daily mail

the only news site worth reading is the bbc, even the guardian regularly allows rubbish to be posted
(edited 11 years ago)
What a waste - IQ of 161 and watching TOWIE.....
IQ is a load of bull****
Original post by Dukeofwembley
they have not allowed comments because the writer knows he will get backlash for writing tripe

the writer should be fired for writing worthless articles

on average at least 10-20 people in every year group have an iq above 160, it is nothing newsworthy but the writer has somehow lost her brain.

The telegraph is nearly as bad as the daily mail

the only news site worth reading is the bbc, even the guardian regularly allows rubbish to be posted

I think the "story" is that she's from Essex and blonde? It does confound one or two stereotypes. :smile:
Original post by Bude8
IQ is a load of bull****

Sshhhh! Mensa will hear you.
The thing that annoys me is how they have tried to frame it as interesting by adding details that somehow make it more amazing. She's blonde, she's from essex, she's a cab driver's daughter. It even gives the price of their house for god's sake.
Original post by doggyfizzel
The thing that annoys me is how they have tried to frame it as interesting by adding details that somehow make it more amazing. She's blonde, she's from essex, she's a cab driver's daughter. It even gives the price of their house for god's sake.

It's almost as if they've got tips from the daily mail!
I think the "story" is that she's from Essex and blonde? It does confound one or two stereotypes. :smile:

jodie marsh has a supposed iq that could get her into mensa

but look at her

although the funny thing is you could put her in your average maths class and she would outperform most people
Original post by de_monies
It's almost as if they've got tips from the daily mail!

The value of their house will probably rise as a result of this.
Come back when you do something with your IQ.
Sshhhh! Mensa will hear you.

And perhaps racists.
Original post by GPODT

Neither did Hawking as far as I'm aware.
Original post by The Socktor
Neither did Hawking as far as I'm aware.

Yes, I think he's said "very high" or something like that when asked about it, but never given the figure - this "160" value seems to be something journalists pick up from top quality sources like Yahoo Answers.
This made me laugh :lol:
- What is your IQ?

- I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers Stephen Hawking

^ True quote.
Reply 18
Neither Einstein nor Hawking have ever taken an IQ test. Einstein because they weren't invented in his time, and Hawking because he thinks (read: knows) they're bull****.
Just. Like. Mensa.
Basically this story says: "Stereotype not based on anything scientific isn't true of every person in extremely large group."
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending