The Student Room Group

Are dating sites a waste of time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by gemmam
Just a thought what did people (those who cant get out to meet people due to work/circumstances/being new to the area etc) do to meet people in the days before the internet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

People weren't scared to approach people and it wasn't considered creepy or weird.
Reply 81
Original post by Humbert Humbert
4: Don't let it go on too long before asking them for a drink. Move to texting or FB quickly.

Very important. Keep the momentum going and don't let it become a friendly chat chat chat internet buddy sort of thing. I also try to avoid real-time chat convos in the early stages, as they deplete a lot of her (and your) motivation. Keep it brief and concise and don't talk about everything online before you even meet.

The problem is most women on dating sites have something wrong with them. Like properly crazy. Mostly illiterate too. There seems to be lots of potential womens at first, but use a few filters, like say filtering out single mothers, and you are left with crap. Bottom of the barrel. Bottom of the ocean. When you meet even decent seeming ones they always turn out to be either insane or a bitch. They are on there for a reason, and the good ones are quickly snapped up.

Correct. The only decent ones seem to be those who are genuinely "new to the area" (just returned from travelling or something) and they only stick around for a week or so. I've been on and off PoF/OKc for four years now and I see the same faces still. We're all scum.

Meet women IRL.

BUT HOW?
Reply 82
Original post by NB_ide
Maybe they didn't.

Or they just made more of an effort, I guess. There are lots of places people can go pretty much solely to "meet" people, activities that are pretty much designed to pair people up. For example, there seem to be a lot of dance classes around where people go to learn some salsa or whatever, then have a few hours of free dancing afterwards. They're just speed-dating events really.

Have you ever been to a dance class? I've been to a few in the past (not expecting to meet anyone just for fun/excercise) and it's mainly women apart from the odd middle aged man whose come along with his wife. Then again maybe more single men went to them back in the day as a way to meet women :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NB_ide

BUT HOW?

My unified theory has not progressed that far yet. My guess is at a student union, in classes or via your job.
Reply 84
Original post by gemmam
Have you ever been to a dance class? I've been to a few in the past (not expecting to meet anyone just for fun/excercise) and it's mainly women apart from the odd middle aged man whose come along with his wife. Then again maybe more single men went to them back in the day as a way to meet women :dontknow:

Yea, they're mostly women. Which is of course great for men.
Reply 85
Original post by NB_ide

Yeah I agree its good for men, not much use for women. I was actually given dance classes as a suggestion when I asked where are good places to meet men on here a while back which I found a bit daft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by NB_ide

Yeah I agree its good for men, not much use for women. I was actually given dance classes as a suggestion when I asked where are good places to meet men on here a while back which I found a bit daft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
My favourite pastime is going on Plenty of Fish and drawing people. It's fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try doing male activities?

Like in the past, if you wanna chat about anything, PM me.
Reply 89
Original post by Zarek
Pretty soul destroying, particularly for men. Converts dating in to something even more competitive and less rewarding than a job interview. Any contacts are likely to be riddled with frustration. I would stick to the work, pub, friends of friends or hobbies as potential sources of partners...

Hit the nail right on the head in my view.
A girl has tonnes more chances on a dating site than a guy does, as so many guys are there to hand to message any girl they see, and girls litterally get swamped with messages generally, that they don't bother reading most of them. My friend for example, but she has a couple of dates lined up.

I'm selective, and don't get any messages myself without messaging them first (and even then, that sometimes doesn't happen). I wouldn't consider myself ugly, but I'm not in a model catagory either.

I'm on POF, but personally, I can't really be bothered checking it. I'm not one of those guys that will chase to find someone. If no one messages me, I'm not really going to bother, unless someone I see on there really sparks my interest to chat to.
I haven't had much luck outside of dating sites and such either though, but again, I've learned to just accept the fact I'm different.
(edited 11 years ago)
Dating sites are just soul destroying for men. Full stop. They just suck. If by dating you're spending mt of the time online instead o meeting people it's a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Dating sites are just what they say, you meet, you don't
Waste of time for me, people post certain things they are looking for and most the time actually aren't, the 4 or 5 people who I did manage to get a conversation with and seemed to get on, weren't willing to actually meet/go out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sam_a225
Waste of time for me, people post certain things they are looking for and most the time actually isn't, the 4 or 5 people who I did manage to get a conversation with and seemed to get on, weren't willing to actually meet/go out.

That's the problem. Most girls aren't willing to GO OUT and meet. You aren't dating if you aren't meeting in real life. You can't get to know anyone by just reading messages

The stranger danger bs is usually an excuse as well. The Use of the Internet fr dating is just usually an excuse for more games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
That's the problem. Most girls aren't willing to GO OUT and meet. You aren't dating if you aren't meeting in real life. You can't get to know anyone by just reading messages

The stranger danger bs is usually an excuse as well. The Use of the Internet fr dating is just usually an excuse for more games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the same for everything on the internet, the anonymity makes people feel they can do/say something with no weight behind it because in the end, nothing will happen unless they choose to make it. Two of the people I spoke with went as far as closing their profiles which shows the lack of seriousness behind most of it.
Unfortunately, as a guy it's impossible to explain the reasons why dating sites don't work without sounding bitter, so give it a shot and see what happens.

..but for the record, I agree with the other guys. So many girls talk in their profiles about receiving messagers from weird perverts that it's not really the most conducive arena for charming anyone.
It's difficult coming up with a witty headline without sounding like a complete cretin.
Original post by theonefrombrum
Nah they're not, my cousin met his fiancée on a dating site about two and a half years ago and now they live together and have a 6 month old son.

If you're having no success then its not because of the dating site but because of the fact that for whatever reason women aren't as interested in you as they'd need to be for there to be a viable connection. It's like saying 'I've tried meeting women by doing everything you possibly can, is this proof that anything you do is a waste of time?'

My guess would be that you're setting yourself up for a fall by wanting to attract the fittest girls and you're assuming that the conventions in the offline world that govern who fit girls usually even speak to are forgotten in the online world just because of the fact that the internet is so innovative. Fact is, it isn't and attractive people generally won't go for someone too below their level of attractiveness if there's a person with similar interests, hobbies and all of the intangibles that will bring about compatibility but who is much better looking.

Well the thing is I don't go after the best looking girls on dating sites because i'm not shallow. I just talk to anyone but none are interested. I've always found in real life the pretty girls are nicer than the ugly ones.
Original post by Foo.mp3

So don't bother trying to be witty, just put something random/generic - most girls' headlines are dire so who cares?

Examples?
I would say no, they aren't a waste of time. I don't use one right now, but I used to for a few months, and I met a nice guy who was actually in the British Army, we met up in Windsor (where he works as a guard :colondollar:) and he took me for a tour around Windsor castle (we got to go in for free as he had his army pass!
:h:)
and he showed me around the park and we went inside his army barracks. Then he drove me halfway of the way home (I live in London).
He was really nice, but it didn't progress onto anything else, we texted for a while and stuff and I still have him on facebook and we chat sometimes.
Even though we didn't progress, I have no hard feelings about it whatsoever though, I wasn't upset, because I had a really nice day and it was nice meeting him. I've heard about people who haven't had as nice experiences, so I feel quite lucky. I added him on facebook before meeting up with him though, I saw he had about 700 contacts and hundreds and hundreds of tagged photos of him on nights out, and in the army and with friends. And he had lots of wall posts, comments and statuses. So I knew he wasn't pretending to be a soldier or something. So I would advise you to add them first on facebook if you can, it always helps.
As for not getting many responses, I think that's normal for guys, they don't seem to get a lot of responses on online dating websites regardless of how they look. I'd suggest using pof.com as that's the site I used. Good luck! :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending