The Student Room Group

What's the dating culture like in UK? Like, how does it usually happen?

I recently moved countries, and a boy asked me out a few days ago. We've known only for a little while, and I was wondering that's how things work here? Anyone care to explain to me a bit? Is this normal or is he just a plain red flag...
Reply 1
Normal as far as I am concerned.
As a girl, I think this is a red flag. You need to first take the time to get to know someone to know if you really like them. If a guy wants to date with you after only just a very short while, its mostly for the physical appearance and that's all, not for their personality or something else.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
As a girl, I think this is a red flag. You need to first take the time to get to know someone to know if you really like them. If a guy wants to date with you after only just a very short while, its mostly for the physical appearance and that's all, not for their personality or something else.

That is literally what dating (and indeed courtship) is: getting to know someone to see if you like them.
Original post by gjd800
That is literally what dating (and indeed courtship) is: getting to know someone to see if you like them.

Why not get to know them first before dating then? If you date and spend all that time with them and then find out they're not compatible with you, then you just wasted all that time.
Reply 5
Why not get to know them first before dating then? If you date and spend all that time with them and then find out they're not compatible with you, then you just wasted all that time.

What a sad outlook.

I'm not sure how the process is functionally different except 'dating' is more one-on-one time than otherwise. It is a shame that this sort of discovery and self-discovery would be viewed as a waste of time.

I'm glad I'm not a young person today.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6

How do you plan to get to know someone without spending time with them? That is literally what dating is.
Reply 7
Original post by Gazpacho.
How do you plan to get to know someone without spending time with them? That is literally what dating is.

Yes, this is how I see it too. It's how it has always been (at least to my knowledge).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending