The Student Room Group

CAE (language requirements)

I will sit a language exam this june. However, I don't know when to start revising? Is there anyone who's taken the exam before? Could you give me some advice? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by cocoflow
I will sit a language exam this june. However, I don't know when to start revising? Is there anyone who's taken the exam before? Could you give me some advice? Thank you :smile:

Hi

I haven't taken it before, but I have taught CAE classes before. If you haven't taken the exam before I advise you to start practicing asap.

It's not really revising that's critical, rather getting really used to the question styles. For example, after you've done several reading papers, for example, you'll find it much easier to recognise the question styles and answer quickly. Also, you should practice the speaking section a lot as it's very easy for your mind to go blank.

Do 4 or 5 practice exam papers and check the answers carefully, and you'll be fine :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! :smile: I struggle with the grammar part sometimes, other than that I'm fine I think. I just don't know where to start because there's so many words and phrases .. Do you think the step from CAE to CPE is big?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Milostar

Hi

I haven't taken it before, but I have taught CAE classes before. If you haven't taken the exam before I advise you to start practicing asap.

It's not really revising that's critical, rather getting really used to the question styles. For example, after you've done several reading papers, for example, you'll find it much easier to recognise the question styles and answer quickly. Also, you should practice the speaking section a lot as it's very easy for your mind to go blank.

Do 4 or 5 practice exam papers and check the answers carefully, and you'll be fine :smile:

Good luck :smile:

Sorry I should probably quote you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you! :smile: I struggle with the grammar part sometimes, other than that I'm fine I think. I just don't know where to start because there's so many words and phrases .. Do you think the step from CAE to CPE is big?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to brush up on your grammar, go through a book like 'English Grammar in Use' and do all the exercises and you'll probably feel more confident.

The CAE to CPE is pretty big, basically because you can do CAE if you're just ok at English and you'll still be able to do quite a few questions. The texts in CPE are noticeably much more complex.

However if your English is advanced and you can get a good score in CAE, you'll probably not find it too big a step. Also, the articles used in CPE texts tend to be a lot more interesting than CAE, which can make it more engaging.
Reply 5
Ok :smile: I will try Cae in June and then move on to Cpe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ok :smile: I will try Cae in June and then move on to Cpe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excellent. I'm sure you'll do really well :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending