The Student Room Group

How can i motivate myself?

i've always been a good student and i've never really bothered too much with homework or revision etc. but i've always been near top of the class-i'm in year 11 now and i've got a*'s in all modules so far. since summer, my mental health has really gone into a downwards spiral and i just can't work in class anymore, and i'm sleeping so much out of lessons that i'm falling behind.

If i have a revision timetable that was suitable i'd probably stick to it, but i've spent a week 'making' it and i'm nowhere near finished. i'm a lazy perfectionist, tbh.

My january results have really shocked me as I didn't expect to do too well because of everything that's happened, but it was still a shock to have it confirmed that i had done badly.

How can I ensure that I keep up with my work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by deepsleeps
i've always been a good student and i've never really bothered too much with homework or revision etc. but i've always been near top of the class-i'm in year 11 now and i've got a*'s in all modules so far. since summer, my mental health has really gone into a downwards spiral and i just can't work in class anymore, and i'm sleeping so much out of lessons that i'm falling behind.

If i have a revision timetable that was suitable i'd probably stick to it, but i've spent a week 'making' it and i'm nowhere near finished. i'm a lazy perfectionist, tbh.

My january results have really shocked me as I didn't expect to do too well because of everything that's happened, but it was still a shock to have it confirmed that i had done badly.

How can I ensure that I keep up with my work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're tired. Catch some sleep. Jan exams are over. WOOP! Take a break. Exercise. Sleep. More sleep.

Once you feel re-energised, your motivation should hopefully return. "With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts."

Think about what you're working for, what you're ultimate aim is and how much work you have already put in to get to the position you are in now.

You CAN do this, THIS is the home stretch. Don't let your dreams be shattered by 1 month of laziness. Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."

It's time to change and it's time to set yourself a realistic aim that you WANT to achieve. "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." Remember that, "by failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail!".

I hope that I have motivated you to change your mindset. You need to fight your demon, because our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Reply 2
Original post by micboy
You're tired. Catch some sleep. Jan exams are over. WOOP! Take a break. Exercise. Sleep. More sleep.

Once you feel re-energised, your motivation should hopefully return. "With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts."

Think about what you're working for, what you're ultimate aim is and how much work you have already put in to get to the position you are in now.

You CAN do this, THIS is the home stretch. Don't let your dreams be shattered by 1 month of laziness. Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."

It's time to change and it's time to set yourself a realistic aim that you WANT to achieve. "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." Remember that, "by failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail!".

I hope that I have motivated you to change your mindset. You need to fight your demon, because our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

i will definitely be sleeping...12 hours minimum is ideal, but not possible.

Thank you very much for this, i'm really going to try and push. i don't want to let my work so far go to waste. :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Thank you very much for this, i'm really going to try and push. i don't want to let my work so far go to waste. :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont mention it. Im good at motivating others just not myself XD
Reply 4

12 hours would be oversleeping. You generally want 6-8 hours of good-quality sleep.

I find that when it comes to motivation, it helps to think of where you want to be in the future, such as imagining yourself in you ideal Uni, job, or surrounded by bags and bags of £££.
Reply 5
I have suspected hypersomnia- that is physically not enough sleep for me. it's only because if noise and my sleeping for the whole day earlier that i'm still awake now. Thanks anyway, though...

and isn't everyone's dream to be surrounded by bags of money? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I think the best way to do it is set yourself a revision timetable that has rewards you actually want on it. I set mine as 'every x pages, watch x minutes of a TV show or go out for however long' and then forgive yourself if you miss a couple of days. Spread everything out evenly and give yourself lots of days off! Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Katiehodge
I think the best way to do it is set yourself a revision timetable that has rewards you actually want on it. I set mine as 'every x pages, watch x minutes of a TV show or go out for however long' and then forgive yourself if you miss a couple of days. Spread everything out evenly and give yourself lots of days off! Good luck :smile:

That's a great idea! i'm going to start right now-i can use tumblr for an hour once i've finished my revision timetable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
That's really motivating. I needed the motivation too. Now gonna study (Y)
Reply 9
article-2166611-13DAD9CE000005DC-446_634x366.jpg
That's a great idea! i'm going to start right now-i can use tumblr for an hour once i've finished my revision timetable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's definitely a good idea! You can use ColdTurkey (free, downloadable somewhere) to block tumblr for a certain time as well, which I definitely found useful- I blocked here, tumblr, twitter, facebook!
Reply 11
Original post by Katiehodge
That's definitely a good idea! You can use ColdTurkey (free, downloadable somewhere) to block tumblr for a certain time as well, which I definitely found useful- I blocked here, tumblr, twitter, facebook!

Do you know if it works on Windows RT? i'm working from my Surface...but thanks for the idea, i'll look into it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know if it works on Windows RT? i'm working from my Surface...but thanks for the idea, i'll look into it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should do, it works on mine- if not, I think the page has links to other similar things :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending