The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy - Volunteering

Hi,

I'm in my second year of a four year Speech and Language Therapy course and I think it's time I gather some relevant experience because by the time I come to apply for jobs, I feel like my CV is going to be empty! I generally want to get volunteer work with any of the client groups that I could possibly work with, whether that's specifically something like an aphasia group or something more general like working in a home for the elderly or a nursery. But I'm really finding it difficult finding anything and wanted advice on how to find relevant volunteer work, I've sent out so many emails but it seems that most of these places are either too far for me to go as I don't drive or they more want volunteers who have personal experience e.g. have a child with communication difficulties.

Anyway, any advice, links, personal stories of what anyone did would be most appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Have you tried the do-it website? There are usually a lot of care homes looking for volunteers for various things on there.

Or maybe try asking your placement site if you could do some volunteering with clients in your spare time, maybe something ward based like speech practice with stroke patients?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Celestia
Hi,

I'm in my second year of a four year Speech and Language Therapy course and I think it's time I gather some relevant experience because by the time I come to apply for jobs, I feel like my CV is going to be empty! I generally want to get volunteer work with any of the client groups that I could possibly work with, whether that's specifically something like an aphasia group or something more general like working in a home for the elderly or a nursery. But I'm really finding it difficult finding anything and wanted advice on how to find relevant volunteer work, I've sent out so many emails but it seems that most of these places are either too far for me to go as I don't drive or they more want volunteers who have personal experience e.g. have a child with communication difficulties.

Anyway, any advice, links, personal stories of what anyone did would be most appreciated, thanks!

Hi, I am looking for a volunteer to do speach and language therapy with my little boy who is almost 5, in a mainstream Montessori nursery although he is autistic and pre verbal but can say some sounds and words such as cat, dog, duck. I am pretty sure the nursery would allow you to volunteer there but it is in Stirling. If this can suit you we may be able to sort out transport for you. let me know if this may work for you and I will speak to the nursery.
Reply 3
Original post by Celestia
Hi,

Your time would be better spent learning to drive as this will limit placement oportunities and the number of jobs you can apply for whilst 'relevant' work experience will only benefit a small number of applicatons.

Quick Reply

Latest