The Student Room Group

Cognitive Neuroscience on the Journey to GEP Medicine

So, I've just had word from a University I spoke with back in November concerning studying Cognitive Neuroscience MSc/MRes. I've always had an interest in Neuroanatomy, Psychology and Cognition and was tempted (prior to finding out more information about GEP Medicine) to study it prior to applying for my Clinical Psychology Doctoral (ClinPsyD).

So my question is mainly focused at current med academics and graduates, do you believe studying this will put me at an advantage in terms of medicine application? My BSc is in Psychology and to a good standard. I'd just do anything to build my knowledge, help prepare myself or put myself at advantage for when I come to applying for Medicine.

Reply 1
Hi there !

I am glad you started this thread. I am in a similar situation; I am applying to study medicine for 2014 entry and am debating whether I should do an access course to medicine or an MSc in neuroscience starting Sep 2013, I have been reading a lot lately and have been really interested by the brain and the mind.

Now, will studying for you MSc put you at an advantage? In my opinion the answer is yes and no.

No - they will see it as a qualification and as long as you get the required grades your degree will be fulfilling the entry requirements.

Yes - it will depend on you and how you approach it. Why you studied neuroscience? How will it make you better suited to become a doctor? Why does it make you stand out? How does it fit in your career goals?

You will need to elaborate on this in your personal statement and interview.

Hope this was helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It won't help you with your application any more than any other degree would, but it may benefit you down the road if you decided upon a neurological speciality.
Reply 3
Cheers for the replies guys. Really appreciated!

A medicine access cards has been on the cards too, im just tired of waiting around doing nothing.
Reply 4
I actually did the same thing, BSc in psychology, and a MSc in Clinical Psychology and I'll be applying for 2014 entry GEM. Obviously when taking my MSc I didn't consider GEM, as the plan was to go toward ClinPsyD, but after a placement on a psychiatric ward a few months ago, it completely shifted my focus and made me much more physiologically and biologically orientated so it doesn't make sense for me to consider ClinPsyD anymore.

An MSc might not (or could - perhaps if you demonstrate it as passion for further learning into a healthcare related speciality in your PS) put you at an advantage in your GEM application, but if you're curious and want to learn more then do it. I'm even researching into neuroscience MScs too because of my curiosity, it's nothing to do with my later GEM application at all.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending