The Student Room Group

Reference Letters (academic)

Hey guys.
I'm kind of antsy right now so I thought I should just ask for some advice.
I'm an international student who graduated from a UK Uni last summer. I'm now planning to apply for a post grad again in the UK to study TV and Film production. Before I left the country, I had asked my tutor if she would mind writing any reference in the future and adding her as a reference in my CV.
She was very kind to say that she would be happy to help me. So fast forwarding to this year, I had started filling up some Post grad applications.
I had sent her two emails previously , just to keep in touch and updating what was going on. I have applied to the uni I previously went as well as three other around the country. I've sent her another email asking for a reference for these uni. That was in early mid-Feb. One of the uni application had that system where the reference writer could log in and write in the reference directly. I noticed in the end of the month that it was still not filled. I sent her an email on the 28th, getting a reply that she was going to do it tomorrow (as in the next day). It's already coming really close to one of the deadlines (the uni I went for Undergrad) and I still haven't got it.
I've emailed her twice. One after two weeks of contact and once yesterday (in the afternoon in the UK). I haven't heard from her and I'm kind of worried.
I've already got a conditional offer as well from one of the uni , but the condition was to get my academic reference (and also pay for my position but that isn't much of a problem). I'm not sure if I should just phone her or not. I don't want to sound too pushy and make her decline. I don't really have a back up academic reference provider either (which is one of my mistakes...I've sent an email to one professor. Haven't got a reply. I'm considering emailing one of my other professor that I don't really know much) and I really want her reference because I feel that she knows me best.
I was also told that it was best to also send an email of my request to the administration office (the email I sent my professor for reference letter) but I'm not really sure about. Is that something normal to do?
I guess my question would be: Should I call her office even though I've already sent her 2 follow up (reminder) emails? Should I send the request email (as in cc. form..) to the administration office as well?
Sorry for the long thing, I'm just too nervous and worked up.
Reply 1
Original post by psychedelicious
I know what you're going through, one of my referees didn't reply to any of my emails either. I had to practically emotionally blackmail said academic in the end. I know it can be quite anxiety inducing and you don't want to be seen as pushy. A lot of the time academics are swamped with work. Try sending another quick email and if you get no response, try telephoning your referee.

Thanks for the reply. Its just one of those things you feel helpless. I'm thinking of emailing her on the 20th (since I've just sent her an email on the 17th in the UK time) and maybe telephoning her on the 21st or 22nd. Just a problem though. I've already sent her 3 previous follow up emails (including the one I sent yesterday) and I kind of used the "I was just wondering if you needed any documents from me in order to write it" card. So not so sure how to write it up. I just wish I have asked it the previous year or something and received it before leaving the country.
Reply 2
Original post by sjrose
Thanks for the reply. Its just one of those things you feel helpless. I'm thinking of emailing her on the 20th (since I've just sent her an email on the 17th in the UK time) and maybe telephoning her on the 21st or 22nd. Just a problem though. I've already sent her 3 previous follow up emails (including the one I sent yesterday) and I kind of used the "I was just wondering if you needed any documents from me in order to write it" card. So not so sure how to write it up. I just wish I have asked it the previous year or something and received it before leaving the country.

I think it might be good to ring her up and just get a confirmation that she's aware of the deadline and she will do it before that. They can be really busy sometimes and then just don't want to waste time replying and saying "yes, I will send it in", or they just forget... Just call and say you are grateful and sorry for being pushy. I know if you don't have another referee, but you might have to be prepared when she says she simply doesn't have the time. Either way, it's better to know sooner than later! Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by annette2010
I think it might be good to ring her up and just get a confirmation that she's aware of the deadline and she will do it before that. They can be really busy sometimes and then just don't want to waste time replying and saying "yes, I will send it in", or they just forget... Just call and say you are grateful and sorry for being pushy. I know if you don't have another referee, but you might have to be prepared when she says she simply doesn't have the time. Either way, it's better to know sooner than later! Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I think I'll do that tomorrow (It's 23:51 over here :wink: when its early enough for her to be in her office and not too late for her to be out of it. True, I guess I'll just have to find another person who could write me in the worse case scenario. Just crossing fingers that won't happen. I was also thinking on emailing the administration if I can't catch with the phone.
Thanks for the advice! *crossing fingers*
Reply 4
So I just called because I couldn't be in that agonizing stress of not knowing. It went straight to voice mail (or voice machine? I'm not sure what you call them). I then decided to call the administration, explaining that I had several problems with emails not been received (which is true. My previous referee didn't receive my first email...but that was easily resolved when I sent the automatic request for reference application thingy), I left a note asking for a reference..but found out she was out of the country. I don't know. I feel free from antsy feeling of not knowing but at the same time I feel a little scared.
I had a problem getting a second reference for my PhD application - all the people who had taught me at under-grad level had either died, retired or just disappeared. Despite this I was short-listed, interviewed and got the studentship with this still 'pending'.

So, I would suggest you tell the Unis you've applied to that this reference may be 'late' (ie. after the deadline) for reasons outside your control and that you understand that any offer would be conditional on receipt of this reference. That should give you enough breathing space so you can phone this academic up and explain that she needs to do this *now*. Or, you have time to find someone else who is a) more reliable and b) interested in you.
Reply 6
Also bear in mind that in the UK, we're approaching the Easter break. Your referee (and any potential substitutes) may shortly be out of contact for a while before the start of next term.
Reply 7
Hi.

Thank you all for the advice and support. I managed to get an extension for the deadlines and got to phone calling my referee. I got the heads up from one uni that they received my academic reference and now I got a conditional offer (I got to pay my deposit) so I guess everything is great.
I also managed to find another person to write before I got the reply from my first referee so I guess I could send that one too to the other Uni I'm still considering to apply or instead of my employer reference (I feel like this other academic professor knows me better than my previous employer..)

I just want to say it feels great to finally get on track. Since I'm going to be leaving to the UK, my next step would be applying for Visa.

Thanks you guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending