The Student Room Group

Midwifery or social work?

I'm just after a bit of advice from current social work/midwifery students and graduates. Last year I started a degree but knew instantly it wasn't for me, so I left. Ever since I've been trying to get more work experience to help with my application I have gained experience with disabled adults, disabled children and the elderly. I am stuck between social work and midwifery. I really wanted to go into adoption and fostering in social work but I know of many social workers who have resigned due to the stressful nature of the job, and this puts me off, but on the other hand I believe it would be a hard yet rewarding job! However, I would love to be a midwife I am so intrigued by the birth of babies and believe it would be an amazing job but also hard work but rewarding. So does anyone have any advice? Or any more advice for how much experience and what experience I need to set my personal statement apart from the rest, I'm looking at getting 600+ hours wok exp and have AAB in A levels! Thanks (sorry for lack of pghs on phone)
Reply 1
My sister did a social work degree and is now a social worker... She liked the job, but she says it is WAY too stressful and too many hours. She is constantly getting home 2 hours later than she should after work because things have come up that she had to deal with. I was also considering a social work degree but after my sister practically begging me not to take it I decided against it, and I suggest you do to :smile:

Also with the recession there are being a lot of cuts to the teams, so you will be way overloaded with work as there won't be as many people there to do it because people are being made redundant.

Hope this helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending