The Student Room Group

Strange PwC final partner interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nothing strange there, HR are not big fans of one of the audit partners I know doing interviews as he's fairly jolly and deviates from the questions, and he takes zero notes on the candidate. Comes out of an interview and sends HR an email going 'He was alright'. No vagueness there :lol: .
Reply 21
Has anyone else received this email sometime following their AC, but before booking the final interview:

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your patience. We will be in contact with you very shortly to confirm how we will be proceeding with you application.

In the meantime if you have any urgent queries please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Kind regards,

This was sent from a specific person and not "recruitment@". Got this yesterday after waiting 4 weeks. Anyone else get the same thing?
Original post by Lotak
Has anyone else received this email sometime following their AC, but before booking the final interview:

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your patience. We will be in contact with you very shortly to confirm how we will be proceeding with you application.

In the meantime if you have any urgent queries please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Kind regards,

This was sent from a specific person and not "recruitment@". Got this yesterday after waiting 4 weeks. Anyone else get the same thing?

This is a pretty standard holding pattern email. Odds are they can't find an available partner, or they are figuring out which locations still have space... no point reading into it really.
Reply 23
Original post by Hedgeman49
This is a pretty standard holding pattern email. Odds are they can't find an available partner, or they are figuring out which locations still have space... no point reading into it really.

That's what I thought. Was just a generic email sent 4 weeks after passing AC.

Sad times. Thanks
Reply 24
my partner interview for pwc lasted only around 35 minutes and that's only because I asked him a lot of questions at the end. He didn't seem to be interested by the competency questions and asked me only about stuff I had put down on my application, my uni experiences etc

Overall it was more like a chat and I received the offer 2 hours later :smile:

PS: anyone else doing the internship in actuarial?
My final interview was a bit weird. My partner chatted at extreme length about himself and did more talking then I did, going into ridiculous detail about his job details that I couldn't even hope to respond to in an intelligent way. I ended up having to nod and look interested and make a small comment when he had finished a 5 minute rant. I was asked competencies but we talked at length about how the validity of information and how we can we make decisions when there is so many differing sources. I was extremely nervous, because I had almost been late and I'm not sure if I was smiling enough or came across like a piece of wood. The interview lasted about an hour and ten (mostly cause he talked for so long). There was also an awkward moment when he wanted to look at my thesis at the end and he took it with him after the interview had ended; it was my only hard copy so I had to ask if I could get it back at a later time, he said he'd lose it so I suggested sending to him via email.

All in all, my partner was a bit self-absorbed and talked a lot. I answered the question relatively well but am not confident at all I'm going to get an offer. Basically think I ****ed it on the last stretch. It's busy period for them so I'm expecting word back next week.
Reply 26
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
My final interview was a bit weird. My partner chatted at extreme length about himself and did more talking then I did, going into ridiculous detail about his job details that I couldn't even hope to respond to in an intelligent way. I ended up having to nod and look interested and make a small comment when he had finished a 5 minute rant. I was asked competencies but we talked at length about how the validity of information and how we can we make decisions when there is so many differing sources. I was extremely nervous, because I had almost been late and I'm not sure if I was smiling enough or came across like a piece of wood. The interview lasted about an hour and ten (mostly cause he talked for so long). There was also an awkward moment when he wanted to look at my thesis at the end and he took it with him after the interview had ended; it was my only hard copy so I had to ask if I could get it back at a later time, he said he'd lose it so I suggested sending to him via email.

All in all, my partner was a bit self-absorbed and talked a lot. I answered the question relatively well but am not confident at all I'm going to get an offer. Basically think I ****ed it on the last stretch. It's busy period for them so I'm expecting word back next week.

Hey how did this go? Did you get an offer??
Reply 27
I'd be interested to know from others if things have changed in the past nine years, but when I did my application back in 2004 it followed a rigid structure of online testing, a one hour competence interview with an associate, an e-tray exercise (including a mock business meeting with a senior manager) and finally an informal chat with a partner.

I must say I would be slightly surprised if partners were involved in the formal interview stage. Given their hourly rate, it's unlikely a Big 4 firm will ask a partner to speak to anyone unless the interviewing managers are comfortable that the candidate has successfully completed all the other stages (unless they want to upset their partner). Partners take recruitment very seriously but they expect a decent filter before candidates reach them and they don't have a lot of time to read CVs or prepare specific questions because by the time you reach them this kind of interview won't derive a lot of value. The partner interview used to be about checking they could tolerate having you in their office (basically checking you were likable) and I imagine it still is!

One potential danger sign is when a partner isn't available to interview you. It might imply you did so badly at the e-tray exercise that it isn't worth their time to talk to you; certainly when I worked in the big 4 senior managers (not even directors) sometimes did the interviews when they didn't think they wanted the candidate. These would be more formal and might be used as a 'last chance' to assuage their nagging doubts about the candidate. However, in provincial offices it may simply be because the partners are too busy and also, I've known people to join the firm after me given this treatment who managed to get in!
Original post by hmark101
Hey how did this go? Did you get an offer??

Nope. Apparently I failed on a competency that I didn't even get asked about, so I was a bit confused.

My interviewer was terrible though, made no attempt to relax me into the interview and talked about himself for half of the hour we had (for example telling me his son couldn't have aspartme??). That being said, my nerves probably were the primary factor in my rejection, influenced the way I came across so I didn't have the Halo effect on my side.
Reply 29
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Nope. Apparently I failed on a competency that I didn't even get asked about, so I was a bit confused.

My interviewer was terrible though, made no attempt to relax me into the interview and talked about himself for half of the hour we had (for example telling me his son couldn't have aspartme??). That being said, my nerves probably were the primary factor in my rejection, influenced the way I came across so I didn't have the Halo effect on my side.

Thats too bad. I hope you get an offer elsewhere.

Can I ask when you did your interview and at what location? Also how long did they take to get back to you?
Original post by hmark101
Thats too bad. I hope you get an offer elsewhere.

Can I ask when you did your interview and at what location? Also how long did they take to get back to you?

Yeah was disappointing but it was only my second ever interview so all good experience, and I got through all the previous stages which is something positive to take from it. Thanks me too.

It was on the 18th of December in London, the Embankment Place office. Got back to me on Christmas Eve.
My partner interview at KPMG was mostly just chatting, then two or three competency questions, then chatting about recent business news and how it would affect the company. It was slightly more formal than I was expecting, but certainly not a "formal interview". I got the offer so clearly went alright!

how long did it take from your final interview to the job offer?
Original post by Eagledave
how long did it take from your final interview to the job offer?

2-3 days I think
2-3 days I think

I had my final round of interview on 10th November with PWC India.The interview went pretty well and was asked if I am comfortable to travel or not.Now as the days are passing by my anxiety is getting into nervousness that if I am selected or not.Could you please let me know that how many days does it take to give the results and roll out the offer in PWC India and what are the chances of getting rejected?Really looking forward to your response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending