The Student Room Group

OCR AS History A

Hey,

I'm currently studying for the sources paper in May (The British One), I was just wondering if anyone could give me a hand in how to structure them? My teacher is pretty terrible and as of yet I've had only one of the past 5 essays I've submitted back and all he said was 'poor'?

For the 70 marker he said to split it up into Introduction, Similarities, Differences, Provenance and Judgement/Conclusion.

The 30 marker we've had no real guidance, I have no idea how to strcutrure it just been guessing up until now.

If anyone could help that would be much appreciated :smile:
for the 30 mark question, my teacher has basically told us to write four paragraphs. one on similarities, one on differences, one on provenance and finally one on usefulness. don't bother writing an introduction or a 'conclusion', but in our usefulness section we basically just sum up which source is the more useful, and what the other source could be considered useful for - like "source a is more useful in relation to he question, but source b could be useful for a historian inquiring about .... "

for the 70 mark question, we basically split it up into: introduction, where you outline the two arguments and which sources support each side, then a few paragraphs on similar arguments in the first group of sources, so if they all mention about a certain issue that supports the argument you would write a paragraph on it, and then reliability of the first group of sources. do the same for the second group of sources - a few big arguments, and then assess the reliability. finally, you would write your conclusion about which side you think is more convincing and why.

i hope this makes sense :colondollar:
Reply 2
I know it's not the best way to go about it but how long should the answers be? When we did the essay paper (50 marks) I wrote about 3-4 pages per answer in the exam?
for the 50 mark questions, i tend to write just over three pages so 3-4 pages seems to be a good amount. in terms of paragraphs, i write about six (introduction, four main points, conclusion) but some people in my class write about five main points if that's any help :smile:

for the 30 mark i think i write just over two pages, and the 70 mark 4-5.
Original post by Dingo749
Hey,

I'm currently studying for the sources paper in May (The British One), I was just wondering if anyone could give me a hand in how to structure them? My teacher is pretty terrible and as of yet I've had only one of the past 5 essays I've submitted back and all he said was 'poor'?

For the 70 marker he said to split it up into Introduction, Similarities, Differences, Provenance and Judgement/Conclusion.

The 30 marker we've had no real guidance, I have no idea how to strcutrure it just been guessing up until now.

If anyone could help that would be much appreciated :smile:

Hey, I did this paper last year and got an A on it so hopefully I will be able to help.

When you are looking at the sources group them into sources which agree, and that disagree with the statement/interpretation. Highlight key phrases as you'll be able to add your own knowledge here.

Introduction:
Identify the source groups (example: sources A and C both agree with the statement, where as sources B and D...). Sometimes it may be an equal split, or there may be up to three main ideas on the paper (it is unlikely that every source will present a different view because this would make the paper very hard and you wouldn't have enough time to write).

Sources that agree:
Analyse the sources which agree with the question/interpretation/statement. Cross reference by identifying similar quotes or ideas. Make sure to weave provenance into the answer rather than adding it at the end of the paragraph or having a new paragraph for it (this is a big no-no).

Sources that disagree:
Same as before but with different sources.

Conclusion:
Make a judgement and answer the question IN REGARD TO THE SOURCES.

Make sure that you add bits of own knowledge throughout, however do not base your essay on this. You are supposed to be writing about the sources. Own info will get you C/B grade answers.

Last year health was the main theme for the paper so they will probably avoid it again this year.
Reply 5
So, I've got five sources with the question 'Use your own knowledge to assess how far the sources support the interpretation that Asquith should bear the major responsibility for splitting the Liberal Party in 1916.' , Sources B and D agree with the statement and the other three don't. So I'm giving B and D a single paragraph then A, C and E a paragraph?
Original post by Dingo749
So, I've got five sources with the question 'Use your own knowledge to assess how far the sources support the interpretation that Asquith should bear the major responsibility for splitting the Liberal Party in 1916.' , Sources B and D agree with the statement and the other three don't. So I'm giving B and D a single paragraph then A, C and E a paragraph?

Yeah. Grouped sources :smile:
Reply 7
Um.. Can someone PLEASE with a super duper cherry on top, explain clearly how to answer a 70 marker with the five sources...

I'm getting confused with all the ways I'm being told to answer it.. :argh:
Reply 8
Original post by zedaa
Um.. Can someone PLEASE with a super duper cherry on top, explain clearly how to answer a 70 marker with the five sources...

I'm getting confused with all the ways I'm being told to answer it.. :argh:

For a top band, your answer will need to look something like this:

INTRODUCTION
- Use this to introduce the discussion point, briefly introduce your arguments and touch on some contextual information. Only aim to write 3-6 lines, not a whole para! Use this to IMPRESS the examiner, they have hundreds of exam scripts to mark - make yours stand out! Similarly, don't make any stupid mistakes, or they'll instantly think you're only worth a low band.

Then you have to find 3 or 4 themes within the sources, that relate to the question. This is essential for the THEMATIC approach, otherwise you'll get a max grade of a C.

PARA 1
-Discuss the theme presented in the question. For instance, is the q was "How far did slavery cause the US civil war...", write your first para about Slavery.
-Start with a good INTRO SENTENCE. It should briefly present your argument for that paragraph, make sure it relates to the question. Also, make sure your paragraph sticks to it, don't go off topic!
-Then use the sources which are related to that theme to discuss your argument. For each source make sure you ANALYSE it and discuss its PROVENANCE (use your own knowledge). Make sure you use as many sources as possible. You have to use all of them in your whole essay to get a B.
- After you've compared/contrast sources and used your own knowledge, wrap it off with an "overall..." couple of lines. Make sure this relates to the Q and your starter sentence.

PARA 2
-Discuss your second theme with similar structure as above. Remember: Intro sentence, sources (analysis and provenance), cross reference sources, own knowledge, conclude. (make sure you are COMPARING sources)

PARA 3
- Again, discuss third theme with similar structure.

CONCLUSION
- Relate to the Question as closely as possible!. Touch on your 3/4 themes again. Don't start discussing provenance here, you should have done that in your body para's.

Remember - for an A grade:

Use ALL sources

Group sources into themes, write with a THEMATIC approach.

Discuss provenance. Not just "it's exaggerated because it's a newspaper" but instead, "we can see that they've used exaggerated language, for instance by saying... this is not surprising as it's a newspaper designed to have a particular viewpoint..."

Use your own knowledge! (if you don't have any then use your creativity)

Clarity is essential. What are you arguing in this paragraph? Stick to it!

Don't make stupid mistakes, such as getting the century wrong.

Write with a sophisticated manner. Don't repeat phrases (e.g. instead of saying "this source says..." all of the time you can say claims, implies, suggest, insists... be creative.

Treat the examiner like an idiot. Don't assume that they can infer what you're inferring - so explicitly state what the sources say/mean.

IMPRESS THE MARKER at all opportunities.

I've probably missed out a lot of stuff, but thinking about the above points gets me an A grade. Try your best - good luck on tuesday!
Anyone doinh churchill or nazis. Any tips. And btw for nazi Germany is there a set questions which examiners use. Cuz I think my teacher said there are like 8 or so questions that the examiners choose from does anyone know where I can find them and what they are

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending