The Student Room Group

Why after break-ups you just turn into strangers?

I've come to realise, people just turn into strangers after break-up?

I just want to know why?
Its like i got broken up with 3 months ago, and me and my ex boyfriend are now like strangers and its sad to think that happens.
and to be honest, i dont see why people can't be friends if their brake up wasnt bad for example :/

i just dont get why people just stop talking and act as if that person never existed in their life at all?
i know people move on as of feelings etc..
but why would people drop someone and just never speak or see them ever again?
even if they had so much in common and their brake up wast bad for example?
its confuses me :/

Random i know, but why do people who once had a strong bond, but suddenly stop talking and become strangers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know exactly what you mean. It seems such a shame for someone who once meant so much to you to just become nothing more than a stranger.

As for our question, I'd say it's just people have no contact(as a form of dealing with grief) after a breakup, and then simply don't want to talk to that person, whether that's due to hard feelings or not seeing any point to it(as they've gone so long without talking).

Breakups are ****.
Distance from each other can really help get rid of any residual feelings either of you may have left over. Sometimes it's best to just keep yourself to yourself, make sure you have a grip on who you are and all. I'd like to think it's helping me :smile:
Original post by art127
I've come to realise, people just turn into strangers after break-up?

I just want to know why?
Its like i got broken up with 3 months ago, and me and my ex boyfriend are now like strangers and its sad to think that happens.
and to be honest, i dont see why people can't be friends if their brake up wasnt bad for example :/

i just dont get why people just stop talking and act as if that person never existed in their life at all?
i know people move on as of feelings etc..
but why would people drop someone and just never speak or see them ever again?
even if they had so much in common and their brake up wast bad for example?
its confuses me :/

Random i know, but why do people who once had a strong bond, but suddenly stop talking and become strangers?

I'm sorry Chelsea :frown:
I wish sometimes I could stay friends with my exs, but once we've split up, I just find it awkward every time we see/talk to each other.
Reply 5
Original post by Popppppy
My ex and myself got on well and even lived with each other for 6 months after we broke up.
Then he brought some girl back to my flat for sex when I flew home to look after my mum who had just been diagnosed with cancer.

Never talking to the jerk again if I can manage it.

Why is he a jerk?

If you guys aren't together, did you expect him never to have sex again?

If you weren't even at the flat, why should you be upset that he brought someone over?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sorry Chelsea :frown:

errm.. im not chelsea? who are you talking too?
I specifically asked him not to have sex in my flat.
I believe in saving sex for marriage and we had never had sex.

Who cares? You're being absurd. Assuming he paid his dues it's just as much his flat as it is yours.
Reply 8
I specifically asked him not to have sex in my flat.
I believe in saving sex for marriage and we had never had sex.

1. Was it your flat or was it shared? If it was shared and you both paid rent, then he has the right to do whatever he wants (within legal reason of course). If you were the one who was paying for the flat, then you should have kicked him out.
2. Since you weren't in a relationship, and had been broken up for 6 months, I cannot possibly fathom how you could ask/demand that he not have sex.
3. You believe in saving it for marriage - I guess that he didn't!

None of these make him a jerk IMHO. I'm not getting on your case, but I cannot fathom how you could make such demands on a person, man or woman, who you're not in a committed relationship with
Reply 9
No, he rented the spare room from me.
My flat, my rules.

Just seeing this.

To be honest, you demanding that he not have sex make you as much of a jerk as him for doing it.

To be honest, though, there is absolutely no way that I'd live in such close proximity with any ex, exactly because these types of situations are bound to occur.
Reply 10
My flat.

I didn't have a problem with him having sex, I just asked him not to do it in my flat, just like a Jewish person might ask someone not to cook pork in their kitchen, it is against my beliefs.
When I said this, he said he would move out at the end of the month.
I then had to rush home to see my mum before the month was up, and when I came back I found used condoms lying on the top of the bin.

I wouldn't call someone cooking pork in your kitchen (when you aren't there) a jerk either. Especially if they were gonna move out pretty soon anyway.
Reply 11
My ex and myself got on well and even lived with each other for 6 months after we broke up.
Then he brought some girl back to my flat for sex when I flew home to look after my mum who had just been diagnosed with cancer. (and I specifically asked him not to have sex in the flat).

Never talking to the jerk again if I can manage it.

Why? You were not even together?

EDIT: Never mind, read your previous posts.
No, he rented the spare room from me.
My flat, my rules.

Think he enjoyed it even more because of this.... tbh I would do the same and leave the condom on show :colone:
Reply 13
-_- this had turned into something else now lol...
Original post by art127
-_- this had turned into something else now lol...

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
I didn't realise people would jump down my neck like that, I'll delete my posts :smile:
Reply 15
I didn't realise people would jump down my neck like that, I'll delete my posts :smile:

Its ok, just thought i'd say as i could see it getting out of hand or being about something else sooner or later lol.

but i get what your post was about :smile: i agree and disagree, but i thought id keep my thoughts to myself :smile: haha
(edited 11 years ago)
The only way of getting over is cutting contact, only way you can move on really, it is sad and harsh that people become strangers after being so close and inseparable at one stage, but mostly if you are hurt then staying in contact would only hurt you more.
Reply 17
Original post by Rock Fan
The only way of getting over is cutting contact, only way you can move on really, it is sad and harsh that people become strangers after being so close and inseparable at one stage, but mostly if you are hurt then staying in contact would only hurt you more.

I have moved on and everything from my ex.
i was mainly just asking how come people just fade and become strangers after brake ups.
as i find it weird. because you've once has a close bond with that person and of course was friends before, and then suddenly once you brake up its like you never meet that person and they treat you as if you never meet,was together or meant anything to them at all?

if you get me.
but no i have moved on, thats the reason why me and my ex dont talk is because we've both moved on even though we was friends after and our brake up was bad or anything, it just seems like we have both faded and just lost contact over time apart after the break up.
(edited 11 years ago)

I think your in the right regardless of your views on sex and how long youd be broken up for to bring a girl back for sex to the flat you share with your ex thats just low
I didnt remain friends with my ex because
1) I couldnt get over him while still being on contact, I didnt want to have to hear or see his new girlfriends i didnt want to think of him kissing touchign sleeping with girls saying the same stuff he did to me to them
2) He was a total ****er he cheated on me with so many girls I was so utterly head over heels in love i kept turning a blind eye to his cheating it was a severe case of him saying jump and id ask how high. As soon as I cut contact with him I realised what an utter dirty waste of space he was that I was far better than him and that i wasnt going to even soothe his guilty conscience by being civil to him he thought that if we were 'friends' id forgive him for the terrible things he did to me, i.e leaving me in a hospital on my own after having a fit without contacting any of my realatives so he could go back to the girl he cheated on me with
3) If my now boyfrined was hanging out with an ex I wouldnt be happy its just wierd you move on with your life ypur ex is an ex for a reason if I become an ex with a person I want them out of my life forever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending