The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ravel
Do you even carb bro?

You literally contribute nothing, do you realise that?
Reply 981
Original post by HFerguson
Yknow what rustles my ****in jimmies?

When you get these ***** who go gym and like "gym memes" on facebook, commenting like "hurr forgot leg day" "thats what happens when you skip leg day"
I bet most of them skip leg day because they have "football legs" or "cycling legs", or they do enough running. Most of them probably leg press for 12 reps and have never squatted to parallel, let alone squatting high-bar ATG for a 1RM PR. Plebs.

Not a single **** is given about your jimmies.
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
It's actually really hard to get into a full overhead position while keeping your rib cage tucked in. Been mobbing for a while now and my rib cage still goes forward. Having proper breathing patterns helps a lot though.

Why is it good to have a tucked in rib cage?
KStarr is clever and has some good ideas but I swear half of them are impossible to implement.

No one has ever squatted with perpendicular shins. At least nothing meaningful.
Original post by The Troll Toll
Why is it good to have a tucked in rib cage?

Bad choice of words from me. More like in a neutral position. The lift turns into a standing incline press when the ribcage starts to tilt upwards. It's always at those last few inches before the bar is directly over my head that my ribcage comes up and when this happens you end up with the lower back pain that everyone complains about. I lack thoracic extension atm.

As for perpendicular shins I only see him doing those in his hip openers not his squats. Even in his book his shins don't stay completely perpendicular. Maybe you're referring to box squats but those are practically useless for a raw lifter anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
blah blah blaha bodybuilding version of he said this she said that. Lol@ ogus selling g4p tank tops. He just needs to let this **** go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Michael XYZ
KStarr is clever and has some good ideas but I swear half of them are impossible to implement.

No one has ever squatted with perpendicular shins. At least nothing meaningful.

Bad choice of words from me. More like in a neutral position. The lift turns into a standing incline press when the ribcage starts to tilt upwards. It's always at those last few inches before the bar is directly over my head that my ribcage comes up and when this happens you end up with the lower back pain that everyone complains about. I lack thoracic extension atm.

As for perpendicular shins I only see him doing those in his hip openers not his squats. Even in his book his shins don't stay completely perpendicular. Maybe you're referring to box squats but those are practically useless for a raw lifter anyway.

Have you tried doing that glute cue? If you lack thoracic extension but your ribcage tilts up that means your lumbar is overextended, so it might help to focus on squeezing your glutes throughout the lift.

Is this perpendicular shin thing from our other conversation (it doesn't seem to be from this one)??? If so I suggested vertical shins for Harrison because it is a pretty foolproof way to not hurt your ankle. Any comparison to world class squatters is kind of moot when your lifetime goal is to squat 3 plates and not be made of glass (no offense).

As a side note if you look at some world class squatters (Aita, Malanichev) they squat closer to shins vertical than maybe you would think from their stance and technique, but I think this is because world class squatters have short femurs rather than any conscious effort to keep their knees back.

As for box squats being useless it depends.. do you mean for raw powerlifters or any raw lifter? Because for a raw lifter not that interested in squatting 1RM I think box squats can be a great substitute for real squats in some circumstances (this might be one of them).
(edited 10 years ago)
Bad choice of words from me. More like in a neutral position. The lift turns into a standing incline press when the ribcage starts to tilt upwards. It's always at those last few inches before the bar is directly over my head that my ribcage comes up and when this happens you end up with the lower back pain that everyone complains about. I lack thoracic extension atm. .

The trick to keeping neutral ribcage and not letting it become an incline press is not pressing more weight than you can handle. If you can't press it without your rib cage tilting, then it's too much weight, it's not a true "strict" press, and you need to check your ego.

blah blah blaha bodybuilding version of he said this she said that. Lol@ ogus selling g4p tank tops. He just needs to let this **** go.

u mad? ogus has taken something that tarnished him but is actually going to end up making money off it. Smart as ****

Original post by The Troll Toll

Is this perpendicular shin thing from our other conversation (it doesn't seem to be from this one)??? If so I suggested vertical shins for Harrison because it is a pretty foolproof way to not hurt your ankle. Any comparison to world class squatters is kind of moot when your lifetime goal is to squat 3 plates and not be made of glass (no offense).

None taken but I have no aspirations to squat any amount of weight; a squat is a fantastic movement, be it functionally or as a mass-building movement, for sports people or obviously those that compete in the lifts, but you can build plenty of mass without squats and squats don't have the best risk-reward ratio for me. My aspiration is to have legs of a certain size and leanness, and that can certainly be achieved without squats.

I think if you're training SOLELY and PURELY for aesthetics or hypertrophy, then training functionally for strength goals is kind of... ****ing retarded. Goals dictate training methodologies. "I wanna be bigger and more muscular hmmm... I know, I'll train for strength!" is the equivalent of someone going "hmm I want to get stronger, I'm doing to do 12 rep sets and drop-sets and super-set **** and do machines instead of free-weights", yet the latter is retarded but the former is encouraged?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 989
The trick to keeping neutral ribcage and not letting it become an incline press is not pressing more weight than you can handle. If you can't press it without your rib cage tilting, then it's too much weight, it's not a true "strict" press, and you need to check your ego.

u mad? ogus has taken something that tarnished him but is actually going to end up making money off it. Smart as ****

None taken but I have no aspirations to squat any amount of weight; a squat is a fantastic movement, be it functionally or as a mass-building movement, for sports people or obviously those that compete in the lifts, but you can build plenty of mass without squats and squats don't have the best risk-reward ratio for me. My aspiration is to have legs of a certain size and leanness, and that can certainly be achieved without squats.

I think if you're training SOLELY and PURELY for aesthetics or hypertrophy, then training functionally for strength goals is kind of... ****ing retarded. Goals dictate training methodologies. "I wanna be bigger and more muscular hmmm... I know, I'll train for strength!" is the equivalent of someone going "hmm I want to get stronger, I'm doing to do 12 rep sets and drop-sets and super-set **** and do machines instead of free-weights", yet the latter is retarded but the former is encouraged?

I know I have trolled a few of your responses lately, but for once, I agree with what you had said. Certainly the last paragraph. I don't see the point in training for strength if your goal is purely hypertrophy. Most of the time, strength and mass do not correlate. I gain mass easily, but my strength compared to a lot of the guys in the gym (big and small) is piss poor (certainly on the bench). But, I have never cared for numbers.

Do you train for aesthetics or strength?
I can't keep my rib cage from rising without any weight at all. Tried glute cue and it does help a lot. Without it I'm just ****ed up from the start but it still won't let me go the full ROM without the rib cage tilt.

Hferguson how many people want to walk around with a shirt saying G4P? Just like his salad video it's not funny at all. The whole thing is just incredibly cringeworthy. I know he got really mad over it because you could see it from his posts when it first came out that he did it so it's no use pretending that he's laughing it off. Inside he's mad and everyone has seen it.

Regardless of the exercises/workout routine you choose you need strength gains with enough volume to maximize hypertrophy. This is why Blaha's routine works so well. The main reason you have had almost zero gains is because your strength gains are practically non existant. If your strength gains had been great do you think you would be in the same position you are in now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ravel
I know I have trolled a few of your responses lately, but for once, I agree with what you had said. Certainly the last paragraph. I don't see the point in training for strength if your goal is purely hypertrophy. Most of the time, strength and mass do not correlate. I gain mass easily, but my strength compared to a lot of the guys in the gym (big and small) is piss poor (certainly on the bench). But, I have never cared for numbers.

Do you train for aesthetics or strength?

I've trained for both before, but training for strength has always injured me in one way or another, so right now I'm training for aesthetics
I can't keep my rib cage from rising without any weight at all. Tried glute cue and it does help a lot. Without it I'm just ****ed up from the start but it still won't let me go the full ROM without the rib cage tilt.

well then you need to consciously contract your abs - that has helped me immensely with rib cage tilt.
Reply 993
I've trained for both before, but training for strength has always injured me in one way or another, so right now I'm training for aesthetics

Sounds good. What is your typical diet?

Hferguson how many people want to walk around with a shirt saying G4P? Just like his salad video it's not funny at all. The whole thing is just incredibly cringeworthy. I know he got really mad over it because you could see it from his posts when it first came out that he did it so it's no use pretending that he's laughing it off. Inside he's mad and everyone has seen it.

Regardless of the exercises/workout routine you choose you need strength gains with enough volume to maximize hypertrophy. This is why Blaha's routine works so well. The main reason you have had almost zero gains is because your strength gains are practically non existant. If your strength gains had been great do you think you would be in the same position you are in now?

my strength gains weren't too bad a few months back under certain circumstances, and I gained a fair bit of size and mass when I was doing a lot of bicycle riding - love to stay in shape - but since I stopped riding my bike so much, and became a lot more sedentary over exams, and lived off chocolate, coke and instant ramen noodles, yeah my body fell to pieces no surprise there.

I agree and disagree about needing strength gains to maximise hypertrophy - progressive tension overload. Adding more weight is not the only way to increase tension progressively, it's just easiest to measure in increments and probably more quantifiable. It's hard to say "oh well last week I did 4 second negatives so today I'll do 6 second negatives", which is probably retarded anyway. Yes I agree you need to be adding weight but strength gains don't necessarily need to be your primary focus and it's ok to stagnate on a weight a couple of workouts in a row so long as you're getting decent tension, you'll still grow.

I would gladly walk around with a t-shirt saying G4P but then again I'm not quite riht in the head.

Please aware me on Blaha's routines? I was just about to start a new routine today, doing legs/vertical/horizontal i.e. antagonistic movements on days B & C. I was also going to be experimenting with low volume i.e. 1 working set to failure and beyond with drop-sets and rest-pause.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ravel
Sounds good. What is your typical diet?

depends on goals, right now I'm cutting so I'm eating 150g of whey per day, 1 pint of milk, a shot of olive oil, and as many veggies as I ****in want, sometimes some chicken or grilled fish

if I was bulking, I would be eating half a kilo or rice or pasta per day, 2 soreen malt loaves, 4 pints of milk, a can of coke, a big bar of chocolate, post-workout shake, about 300g of fried beef mince per day
I type one comment on ICF's video about his claim that you cannot squat 300kg natty and I come back to a dozen comments converting the weight in lbs and telling me that 300kg isn't 300lb.

Commenting on YT. Not even once.
Why is 300kg unachievable natty?
No idea, he just said that in passing.
Original post by Jtking3000
I type one comment on ICF's video about his claim that you cannot squat 300kg natty and I come back to a dozen comments converting the weight in lbs and telling me that 300kg isn't 300lb.

Commenting on YT. Not even once.

I got spammed for suggesting not one athlete in the 100m was free of PEDs. They called me a retard. Same guys who think Kalli muscle is 100% natty. The thing is you might be debating with a 13 year old keyboard warrior, so is there any sense in replying.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest