The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Generally how long do they take to reply? And do you think they've closed up for Christmas now or are they still handing out offers.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Rlove95
Generally how long do they take to reply? And do you think they've closed up for Christmas now or are they still handing out offers.

I sent off my application on nov 19 and got an offer on the 11th of December. History
Reply 582
Original post by IllmaticDragon
I sent off my application on nov 19 and got an offer on the 11th of December. History

Oh so about three weeks? that's not too bad although it's been a week and I can't stop checking my phone lol.
Original post by Rlove95
Really? What course did you apply for?
I was starting to worry that maybe Sheffield was a strictly 'entry-requirement have to match predicted grades' university.

I applied for Journalism which isn't exactly a highly academic course, but it is competitive so I guess it was incredibly lucky for me to achieve a place consisting that my grades are 3 grades below the required amount.
On top of that, I'm a retake student (I failed my first year of year 12 and had to resit the entire year again), so they must have seen that..and still offered me a place.
I don't think you need amazing grades, as long as your personal statement is of a high standard and you show potential :biggrin: One of my retake friends got into Manchester for Maths with ABC as her predictions and they wanted AAB so anything is possible :smile:
Original post by Chanelephantxox
I applied for Journalism which isn't exactly a highly academic course, but it is competitive so I guess it was incredibly lucky for me to achieve a place consisting that my grades are 3 grades below the required amount.
On top of that, I'm a retake student (I failed my first year of year 12 and had to resit the entire year again), so they must have seen that..and still offered me a place.
I don't think you need amazing grades, as long as your personal statement is of a high standard and you show potential :biggrin: One of my retake friends got into Manchester for Maths with ABC as her predictions and they wanted AAB so anything is possible :smile:

Are you firming sheffield?! I got an offer for journalism too :smile: I saw you put about your predicted grades, what are you predicted?
:biggrin:
Original post by sophiestewart
Are you firming sheffield?! I got an offer for journalism too :smile: I saw you put about your predicted grades, what are you predicted?
:biggrin:

Yay! We might be in the same course :smile: Yep I'm firming Sheffield, are you?
I'm predicted BCC, but Sheffield lowered the ABB to BBB for me, what about you?

Yay! We might be in the same course :smile: Yep I'm firming Sheffield, are you?
I'm predicted BCC, but Sheffield lowered the ABB to BBB for me, what about you?

yeah will be good to see you! I firmed Sheffield last week :biggrin: I have to get ABB - but i'm predcited A*A*A - god knows how i'll get that considering I only got ABC in AS!
yeah will be good to see you! I firmed Sheffield last week :biggrin: I have to get ABB - but i'm predcited A*A*A - god knows how i'll get that considering I only got ABC in AS!

Wow 2 A* and an A, thats an amazing prediction to get :biggrin: I'm sure you'll get the grades :smile: What other uni's did you apply to and what's your insurance?
Reply 588
Original post by butterfly-wings
Thank you! Finally I've found someone applying to do Music at Sheffield - I thought I was going to be alone on the course hahha! :P I've also applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Reading (Reading's for education with music as a back up but will only put it down if I don't get any other offers!)

Awhh good luck with your application! Let me know how it goes! I found out after a week and a bit so hopefully you won't have to wait too long! Where else have you applied? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha you're not alone! :tongue:
Ah good choices, I've heard good things about Aberdeen :smile: I'm also applying to Edinburgh! :biggrin:
Aw thank you, finally finished my personal statement today, getting sent off on Monday, hoping some unis will look before they break up for Christmas!
I'm also applying to Nottingham, Liverpool and Birmingham :smile:
Wow 2 A* and an A, thats an amazing prediction to get :biggrin: I'm sure you'll get the grades :smile: What other uni's did you apply to and what's your insurance?

Doubt i'll get it! I also applied to Huddersfield, Lincoln ( which is my insurance, because its also triple accredited), Westminister and Stirling! :smile: You?
Doubt i'll get it! I also applied to Huddersfield, Lincoln ( which is my insurance, because its also triple accredited), Westminister and Stirling! :smile: You?

Are the grades around the same? I've applied to Lincoln too! I'm not sure about it being my insurance though, I haven't got an offer yet, but I've also applied to Coventry,Portsmouth and Chester :tongue: As of now, I have Coventry as my insurance because the grades to get in are BCC which is what I already have :smile:
Reply 591
Original post by ashleighscarlett
I applied for Chemistry & still haven't had an offer/visit day or anything :redface: Are you still waiting too?

Yeah I am, when did you send in your application? :smile:
Are the grades around the same? I've applied to Lincoln too! I'm not sure about it being my insurance though, I haven't got an offer yet, but I've also applied to Coventry,Portsmouth and Chester :tongue: As of now, I have Coventry as my insurance because the grades to get in are BCC which is what I already have :smile:

Its 300 ucas points, which is BBB! Did you apply to normal journalism? You have to have an interview for it! :wink:. I'd just advise you to make sure you have two unis which are accredited by at least the NCTJ, if not then you're probably not going to get a job being a journalist!
Its 300 ucas points, which is BBB! Did you apply to normal journalism? You have to have an interview for it! :wink:. I'd just advise you to make sure you have two unis which are accredited by at least the NCTJ, if not then you're probably not going to get a job being a journalist!

Oh god an interview :frown: Have you already had it? If so what was it like?
It has to be accredited by the NCTJ? Ah, most of mine aren't I think :P Coventry I'm taking English and jounalism. I don't think I want to get a job as a journalist because the pay is very bad and it's extremely hard to be one because most professional journalists have a degree in things like politics or economics :P I just want to work in Public Relations or publishing tbh :smile:
Oh god an interview :frown: Have you already had it? If so what was it like?
It has to be accredited by the NCTJ? Ah, most of mine aren't I think :P Coventry I'm taking English and jounalism. I don't think I want to get a job as a journalist because the pay is very bad and it's extremely hard to be one because most professional journalists have a degree in things like politics or economics :P I just want to work in Public Relations or publishing tbh :smile:

Yeah I had it two weeks ago and got an offer :smile: It was really good, make sure you watch/ read the news on the day though! because they'll ask you a question on what the main story is of that day! they will also make you do a test, but I messed up and so did everyone else and we all got offers! you also do both a broadcast and print workshop!
Ohhh! yeah I was thinking about doing a joint honours, but then I wanted to do all the pratical stuff and i'm planning on being a journalist haha
What is the difference between journalism and journalism studies?
Reply 596

Yeah I've heard Journalism is pretty competitive, well done:biggrin:! Sheffield is no. 4 on the league tables for politics and I want to do politics and philosophy so I'm guessing politics at Sheffield is quite competitive too but fingers crossed my references and personal statement will be good enough for them to give me an offer. That's really good about your friend.
I don't think predicted grades should be taken seriously, the system is so flawed since some people get predicted harshly and some don't I hope universities take that into account.
Thanks for the info, I do feel a bit more hopeful fingers crossed once again:colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rlove95

Hey! I sent my application off on the 4th December and received an offer on the 11th! A week is pretty fast!

Good luck to you! :smile:
Original post by caitypebbles
Hey! I sent my application off on the 4th December and received an offer on the 11th! A week is pretty fast!

Good luck to you! :smile:

What course did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BOOM!!!
Yeah I am, when did you send in your application? :smile:
14th November, what about you?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending