The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Went to see Sheffield uni, it was awful! The staff are rude and never answered my questions properly. Everyone's doing their own thing. Was really turned off. Deffo not firming Sheffield. One of the teachers from the management department goes they usually don't look at the overall application, most of the time they look at the grades then give offers. This turned me off as I've spent weeks on my PS. I just feel Sheffield isn't very professional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by mhassan
How long after did you get your booklets regarding accommodation?. I received an offer for accounting and financial management last week. Also what offer did you get?

I got my offer on 25th november, the date on my letter about accommodation was dated the 3rd december :smile:
Reply 782
Original post by abc95
Went to see Sheffield uni, it was awful! The staff are rude and never answered my questions properly. Everyone's doing their own thing. Was really turned off. Deffo not firming Sheffield. One of the teachers from the management department goes they usually don't look at the overall application, most of the time they look at the grades then give offers. This turned me off as I've spent weeks on my PS. I just feel Sheffield isn't very professional.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course are you applying for? Did you get a chance to look at the accomodation?
Reply 783
Original post by sophiestewart
I got my offer on 25th november, the date on my letter about accommodation was dated the 3rd december :smile:

Oh ok thank you. I should be getting it soon then
Original post by mhassan
Oh ok thank you. I should be getting it soon then

Yeah you should! You firming sheffield then? if so what accommodation are you thinking of?
Reply 785
Original post by mhassan
What course are you applying for? Did you get a chance to look at the accomodation?

Business management. I couldn't even see the accommodation properly. I checked one of them out and the rooms are tiny compared to Kent or Aston which I was very pleased with. Sheffield really turned me off. Terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
Original post by mhassan
How long after did you get your booklets regarding accommodation?. I received an offer for accounting and financial management last week. Also what offer did you get?

I got an offer for accounting and financial management as well, on the 18th of December and I got the booklets a few days ago :smile:
Reply 787
Yeah you should! You firming sheffield then? if so what accommodation are you thinking of?

Not sure to be honest. But if i am firming i will choose the endcliffe accomodation. I was watching some clips on YouTube and it looks very clean and nice. Only downside is that it's 25 mins away from the uni. Wbu?
Original post by Rlove95
Shouldn't the mods sticky this thread instead of the 2013 one?

I will do :smile: If I can find the special thread glue :tongue:

Edit: Found it, and done!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 789
Original post by .snowflake.
I will do :smile: If I can find the special thread glue :tongue:

Edit: Found it, and done!

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by mhassan
Not sure to be honest. But if i am firming i will choose the endcliffe accomodation. I was watching some clips on YouTube and it looks very clean and nice. Only downside is that it's 25 mins away from the uni. Wbu?

Yeah i'm going for endcliffe. I went on the open day and its so much nicer than any other university accommodation i've looked around! yeah that puts me off, there is the city and central campus one, but I want the full uni accommodation experience in a student villiage!
Original post by Laura Louise
Oh, mine for Journalism is the 19th March, I'll probably end up asking you if it's worth it tbh.

Do you reckon you're going to firm it?

I'm hoping it's gonna be worth it, but I'm definitely firming it anyway - I love the uni itself, the tutors have loads of experience and are friendly, the student village is great (despite the distance) and it's got the best student union in the UK! I think there'd have to be something pretty drastic to make me change my mind haha but it's my favourite out of my choices :smile:
Original post by abc95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheffield are not usually like this.. In the journalism department, the personal statment is the most important thing
Reply 793
Original post by abc95

Posted from TSR Mobile

On another thread it appears that you only applied about 4 or 5 days ago, that's quite some turn around. Was your visit before your application if so if it was that bad then I can't understand why you even bothered applying.

Re the PS thing I guess it varies between depts., I hear that the medicine dept go very strongly on PS and I suppose different depts. will have their different views on it. Just basing offers on grades isn't uncommon amongst many unis.
Hi everyone. Just a quick question from my friend.. 'If your offer states Distinction Distinction B' for an ABB course. If you get Distinction* Distinction* (which in the eyes of uni's should be grades AA) then will you be able to get away with a C in your other subject to get in?' Thanks :smile:
Reply 795
Original post by butterfly-wings
I was so happy!! Unfortunately no more offers as of yet! :/ yeah, and it's a portable instrument too haha! :P naah I don't think they mind what instrument you play, as long as you can play relatively well! I love the piano, although I'm not brilliant at it. I'm about to take my Grade 5 as I need to be at that standard for a couple of other unis. Is Sheffield your top uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got an offer from Sheffield today! :smile:
Reply 796
Applied on the 20th Nov for Chemistry and still haven't heard a thing
Reply 797
Anyone with a history offer been told of an offer holders day yet?!
Reply 798
Hi everyone. Just a quick question from my friend.. 'If your offer states Distinction Distinction B' for an ABB course. If you get Distinction* Distinction* (which in the eyes of uni's should be grades AA) then will you be able to get away with a C in your other subject to get in?' Thanks :smile:

If a course is looking for ABB then a C may still not be good enough as they don't want anything less than a B. I say may not as it is entirely up to their discretion and varying factors depending on other offer holders and what they got and so forth. Strictly speaking AAC does not mean one has officially met an offer of ABB, you could get A*A*C and you still wouldn't be seen as meeting the offer grades. Exceptions to this are courses looking at UCAS points but this generally doesn't apply to Sheffield.

In conclusion not an automatic meeting of the offer grades but still in with a chance at the Uni's discretion.
Original post by Folion
If a course is looking for ABB then a C may still not be good enough as they don't want anything less than a B. I say may not as it is entirely up to their discretion and varying factors depending on other offer holders and what they got and so forth. Strictly speaking AAC does not mean one has officially met an offer of ABB, you could get A*A*C and you still wouldn't be seen as meeting the offer grades. Exceptions to this are courses looking at UCAS points but this generally doesn't apply to Sheffield.

In conclusion not an automatic meeting of the offer grades but still in with a chance at the Uni's discretion.

Oh thanks, its just sheffield have their grade entry on the website on the courses. And it states ABB or equivalent. When you click on it it says AAC, A*AD ect. Just wondered if this would apply for my friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending