The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Got my offer to study architecture and landscape, uni of sheffsheff, 2014, wheeeeyyyyyyy!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Is anyone else going to the Politics dual honours open day tomorrow? I am a Politics and Philosophy firmer, anyone else? :smile:
Original post by rebecca.w95
Is anyone else going to the Politics dual honours open day tomorrow? I am a Politics and Philosophy firmer, anyone else? :smile:

I'm going tomorrow! but for Journalism :smile:
Reply 983
Original post by sophiestewart
I'm going tomorrow! but for Journalism :smile:

I'm visiting for History tomorrow, looking forward to it!! :smile:
Original post by M!17
I'm visiting for History tomorrow, looking forward to it!! :smile:

You been to Sheffield before? :smile:
Reply 985
You been to Sheffield before? :smile:

Nope! Not the city or the University haha :smile:
Original post by M!17
Nope! Not the city or the University haha :smile:

Ohhh! they're both lovely!
Reply 987
Ohhh! they're both lovely!

Yeah I reckon ill like both. That's where the dilemma comes in haha... choosing between Sheffield and Edinburgh! :smile:
Original post by M!17
Yeah I reckon ill like both. That's where the dilemma comes in haha... choosing between Sheffield and Edinburgh! :smile:

haha oh god! good luck with that! - i'm sure looking around will help you to decide! haha I was certain on Sheffield from April last year!
Reply 989
haha oh god! good luck with that! - i'm sure looking around will help you to decide! haha I was certain on Sheffield from April last year!

Haha yeah im sure looking around the place will help. Im hoping to check Edinburgh out too so I can make a proper decision. Even if I don't it comes down to pros and cons if I like both! :smile:

Last year? Wow. I assume you're firming it then! :wink:
Original post by M!17
Haha yeah im sure looking around the place will help. Im hoping to check Edinburgh out too so I can make a proper decision. Even if I don't it comes down to pros and cons if I like both! :smile:

Last year? Wow. I assume you're firming it then! :wink:

Yeah, do that haha! yep - firmed in December as soon as I got an offer from my insurance choice!
Reply 991
Yeah, do that haha! yep - firmed in December as soon as I got an offer from my insurance choice!

Fair enough, sounds decent. What is your insurance? :smile:
Original post by M!17
Fair enough, sounds decent. What is your insurance? :smile:

University of Lincoln :smile:
Reply 993
University of Lincoln :smile:

Decent. Good luck getting the grades needed! :smile:
Original post by M!17
Decent. Good luck getting the grades needed! :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 995
Original post by pukewizard
Got my offer to study architecture and landscape, uni of sheffsheff, 2014, wheeeeyyyyyyy!

Woot, same here! Congratulations :smile:
Hey guys,

I'm a student ambassador for the University of Sheffield Law School. If anyone has any questions about the city or the uni I would be happy to help!

Matthew
Reply 997
Original post by Law_Sheffield
Hey guys,

I'm a student ambassador for the University of Sheffield Law School. If anyone has any questions about the city or the uni I would be happy to help!

Matthew

I have an offer for LLB Law. Coming to the applicant day next week.
I have heard that lectures are really large:frown: does it feel informal. I worry that it could be difficult to build a rapport with fellow students:s-smilie:
Are seminars and tutorials smaller? what are the average numbers and how often are they held

If I was to opt for city campus accommodation would I miss out on all the freshers activities during the first weeks
Original post by velmark
I have an offer for LLB Law. Coming to the applicant day next week.
I have heard that lectures are really large:frown: does it feel informal. I worry that it could be difficult to build a rapport with fellow students:s-smilie:
Are seminars and tutorials smaller? what are the average numbers and how often are they held

If I was to opt for city campus accommodation would I miss out on all the freshers activities during the first weeks

First year lectures are quite large, there are often quite a lot of students in because every first year doing LLB law will be doing the same modules. This doesn't give it an informal feel though, in fact it often means you get to sit next to someone new every lecture and you can get away with talking a little more as there are a large number of people... you shouldn't be talking during lectures though.. :wink:

Seminars are much much smaller, typically around 15-20 maximum in a seminar and they're timetabled differently for different people, so some weeks you'll have one some, sometimes you'll have them on consecutive weeks. I wouldn't be able to comment on the frequency of your seminars specifically but at least one per fortnight is a good rule of thumb.

If you are worried about meeting other law students you shouldn't be, the university has one of the best Law Societies and they do plenty of socials. There are also a number of opportunities for you to meet people in lectures and seminars and from memory one of the modules has you working on a group project too. On top of all that the university has a vast number of sports clubs from Football to Tenpin Bowling to Korfball and has way more interest societies than one would ever need.

Freshers activities outside of the student villages are hosted by the university or the university clubs and your choice of accommodation wouldn't have much bearing on whether you attend them. You wouldn't be missing much from the villages either. I remember my Ranmoor freshers being okay, nothing to write home about, but a good way to bond with flatmates. I assume something similar will happen on the city campus.

Anything else I can help with?

Matthew
University of Sheffield Law School Student Ambassador
Original post by esparist
Woot, same here! Congratulations :smile:

Hey! you got an offer too?! for architecture and landscape?!!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending