The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophiestewart
I was just wondering, if you apply to sheffield and you've already completed your alevels, but you got ABC and applied for an ABB course, do you think they would give you an offer?

I can't give a straight answer but I've heard that some students got an offer and were accepted into Sheffield despite not meeting the required A-level grades :smile:

But I do know that personal statements in UCAS play a role as well, so make sure it stands out!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Qamarina
Law School Ambassador University of Sheffield
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Law_Sheffield
I can't give a straight answer but I've heard that some students got an offer and were accepted into Sheffield despite not meeting the required A-level grades :smile:

But I do know that personal statements in UCAS play a role as well, so make sure it stands out!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Qamarina

Oh this is great! The department said my personal statement is really good.. And I have lots of experience too which they are impressed about, I just know I won't get the ABB to get in!
Reply 1162
Oh this is great! The department said my personal statement is really good.. And I have lots of experience too which they are impressed about, I just know I won't get the ABB to get in!

Hey Sophie you worry about this a lot don't you?
I hang round the forums and have a vested interest as my son is there plus it's our home town. I see this issue keeps cropping up for you and it's preying on your mind. Obviously nobody can give you a definitive answer but it would seem that maybe slipping a grade or two wouldn't leave you without any hope.

IIRC you're actually predicted quite high grades which should comfortably get you in so why do you think you're going to miss those? Just general lack of confidence? The only thing you have any control over right now is the work you are putting in. You can't control how well others do nor what the dept will decide should you miss. Like as not they aren't going to know their cut off for this year either.

Nah then lass get thi sen doin sum revisin if tha wants te get thi sen ere.(Now then young lady get yourself busy with revision if you want to get yourself here :smile: )

Will be thinking about you on results day, come on you can do it girl! It's obvious how much you want this :biggrin:
[QUOTE="Folion;47289285"]Hey Sophie you worry about this a lot don't you?
I hang round the forums and have a vested interest as my son is there plus it's our home town. I see this issue keeps cropping up for you and it's preying on your mind. Obviously nobody can give you a definitive answer but it would seem that maybe slipping a grade or two wouldn't leave you without any hope.

IIRC you're actually predicted quite high grades which should comfortably get you in so why do you think you're going to miss those? Just general lack of confidence? The only thing you have any control over right now is the work you are putting in. You can't control how well others do nor what the dept will decide should you miss. Like as not they aren't going to know their cut off for this year either.

Nah then lass get thi sen doin sum revisin if tha wants te get thi sen ere.(Now then young lady get yourself busy with revision if you want to get yourself here :smile: )

Will be thinking about you on results day, come on you can do it girl! It's obvious how much you want this :biggrin:[/QUOTE

Yes, I'm predicted very high grades. I've just been performing very badly in one of my A2 subjects, from an A at AS to a C at A2, which is very worrying!! I want this place ridiculous amounts. I don't actually like any uni's, apart from Sheffield! And this constant worry is probably making me perform worse, and not helping with my Revision!

Thanks for your help!!
I'm predicted very high grades. I've just been performing very badly in one of my A2 subjects, from an A at AS to a C at A2, which is very worrying!! I want this place ridiculous amounts. I don't actually like any uni's, apart from Sheffield! And this constant worry is probably making me perform worse, and not helping with my Revision!

Thanks for your help!!

I'm worrying also! I love Sheffield University and knew for a long time that I wanted to go there. But one of my subjects is proving to be very difficult so I'm worrying but I have been putting in the effort to get where I want to be. Hopefully this hard work reflects in august, instead of the worry getting to my head. :smile:

I've got a conditional offer of AAB for Biomedical Science btw ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pandabun
I'm worrying also! I love Sheffield University and knew for a long time that I wanted to go there. But one of my subjects is proving to be very difficult so I'm worrying but I have been putting in the effort to get where I want to be. Hopefully this hard work reflects in august, instead of the worry getting to my head. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww, good luck! :smile:

That sounds great! Hope it works out for you.

All the best and I hope to see you in Sheffield :smile:

Cheers,

Qamarina
Original post by Law_Sheffield
That sounds great! Hope it works out for you.

All the best and I hope to see you in Sheffield :smile:

Cheers,

Qamarina

Thank you so much :smile:
Anyone doing IR and Politics at Sheffield? Got an unconditional offer and don't know whether to accept!
Msc. Control systems.

Super excited, if only i can manage the finances to go (international fees)
Anyone planning to do french and german at sheffield?
Really hope I meet the conditions (ABB) but on for BBB at the moment so a little bit worried

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eggz95
Really hope I meet the conditions (ABB) but on for BBB at the moment so a little bit worried

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I've firmed Sheffield for German and Russian :smile: I'm also worried about grades, I had my French oral last week and my German one is coming up this week :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goerginab123
Hey I've firmed Sheffield for German and Russian :smile: I'm also worried about grades, I had my French oral last week and my German one is coming up this week :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh. Exciting language choice there chick! (Edit: Russian has far too many cases imho. 6 just isn't necessary... The alphabet isn't that bad. ) Just try your best, and see what the exam fairies bring you on results day. Even if you don't get what you need to meet your offer, it doesn't mean Sheffield will go 'Sod off, we don't want you'. In my year, the seemed to prefer misses that had firmed/ insured the uni, been interviewed, seen the place etc, than some random with ABB or w/e via clearing. Because the former is statistically less likely to drop out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by eggz95

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the Law with Spanish Law offer holders' day, we were told to ring up if we did not get the grades required on the premise that not meeting the entry requirements does not necessarily mean the university is no longer going to offer the place.
From what I was told, it sounded as if they would still be willing to accept you if you miss the offer by just one grade.
So there will hopefully be some room for negotiation! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LizzieB1996
At the Law with Spanish Law offer holders' day, we were told to ring up if we did not get the grades required on the premise that not meeting the entry requirements does not necessarily mean the university is no longer going to offer the place.
From what I was told, it sounded as if they would still be willing to accept you if you miss the offer by just one grade.
So there will hopefully be some room for negotiation! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I have heard they are quite lenient so hopefully I get in, being my firm choice!! :smile:
Original post by eggz95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, I'm doing French and German too, but Sheffield is my insurance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1176
Masters applicant looking for fellow applicants or acceptees (?) for postgrad courses or Town and Regional Planning? :smile:
Anyone doing GEOGRAPHY? 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1178
Original post by ABBIE09
Anyone doing GEOGRAPHY? 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but applicant for MA TRP so we'd be in the same building haha!
Original post by pandabun

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you decide on Sheffield due to the fact you get to do dissection?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending