The Student Room Group

Edexcel C1, C2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by James A
I don't blame you, learning the basics is the hardest thing in any subject, but once you actually get down to using the basics you learnt to more interesting concepts, then that's when it gets enjoyable. Still you need to put in just as much effort (if any case, more)

To be honest, AS is hard, I'm not even gonna lie. I worked hard and got an A overall. When it came to A2, I actually found the content more interesting and once you get down to applying the basics from AS into A2, thing's get easier (still some hard concepts like the trig identities, vectors in c4 etc)........

The reason I didn't do so well at the end of A2 was because I had resits also to focus on, so was pretty limited on time for each subject. Got a high B overall for maths, so it's down to C2 and C3 to get my 2 ums. Whichever module I get the 2 ums in, I'll have my A....

Geometric series is a load of nonsense.

Differentitation makes up quite an important part of maths

Yeah exactly, I find the AS level interesting and rewarding than GCSE, I like putting in effort and being given back as opposed to GCSE.

Yeah as I'm looking to do STEP and then maths at university, I often oversee parts of C3,C4, FP2, FP3 and it all looks so interesting, my favourite parts being the wide variety of differentaition/integration on offer, love these topics (apart from optimisation, hence C2 differentiation- > by this I mean proving formulas by cancelling a variable from something like a cylinder) That is why I hate C2 differentiation, minimums and maximums are piss easy.

Aha that's interesting, 2ums should be fine for you to get, and good luck with reaching your offer, I think I recall from the alevel results posting thread that you only applied to one uni/got an offer for one ? :P.

Agreed, differentiation and integration though are lovely
Original post by James A
I don't blame you, learning the basics is the hardest thing in any subject, but once you actually get down to using the basics you learnt to more interesting concepts, then that's when it gets enjoyable. Still you need to put in just as much effort (if any case, more)

To be honest, AS is hard, I'm not even gonna lie. I worked hard and got an A overall. When it came to A2, I actually found the content more interesting and once you get down to applying the basics from AS into A2, thing's get easier (still some hard concepts like the trig identities, vectors in c4 etc)........

The reason I didn't do so well at the end of A2 was because I had resits also to focus on, so was pretty limited on time for each subject. Got a high B overall for maths, so it's down to C2 and C3 to get my 2 ums. Whichever module I get the 2 ums in, I'll have my A....

Geometric series is a load of nonsense.

Differentitation makes up quite an important part of maths

The B you achieved is great! You'll defo do good in C2, C3 with your knowledge increase. It's like how I did better in my C1 resit!
Original post by Robbie242
Yeah exactly, I find the AS level interesting and rewarding than GCSE, I like putting in effort and being given back as opposed to GCSE.

Yeah as I'm looking to do STEP and then maths at university, I often oversee parts of C3,C4, FP2, FP3 and it all looks so interesting, my favourite parts being the wide variety of differentaition/integration on offer, love these topics (apart from optimisation, hence C2 differentiation- > by this I mean proving formulas by cancelling a variable from something like a cylinder) That is why I hate C2 differentiation, minimums and maximums are piss easy.

Aha that's interesting, 2ums should be fine for you to get, and good luck with reaching your offer, I think I recall from the alevel results posting thread that you only applied to one uni/got an offer for one ? :P.

Agreed, differentiation and integration though are lovely

Yeah, I applied to Herts for Pharmacy but withdrew them straight away when I got my offer from Reading...

Cheers yeah, just hoping that C2 is a nice paper and maths will be out of the way.

Good luck with your exams and STEP for next year. You got any unis in mind you wish to apply to?
Original post by reubenkinara
The B you achieved is great! You'll defo do good in C2, C3 with your knowledge increase. It's like how I did better in my C1 resit!

:biggrin:

Thanks and yep, your knowledge always gets better as you do more maths xD

You aiming for an A* in maths, yeah?
Reply 184
Original post by James A
Yeah, I applied to Herts for Pharmacy but withdrew them straight away when I got my offer from Reading...

Cheers yeah, just hoping that C2 is a nice paper and maths will be out of the way.

Good luck with your exams and STEP for next year. You got any unis in mind you wish to apply to?

Aha great, good luck with your offer, I'm sure that you'll get in and have a blast at Reading :biggrin:

Yeah the two papers prior to our one have being easy, Jan13 was such a nice paper... I think it may be harder but that means lower grade boundaries which is good. I'm just hoping for no trig graph transformations.

Thanks, my first two exams are actually on Monday, economics 2 in the morning and M1 in the afternoon, hope they go well!. Yeah got 4 in mind already, in ascending order of where I'd like to go, Cambridge (Pembroke college), Warwick, Bristol and then Exeter, probably a lower entry requirement one as my last one, 3 of my choices are A*AA haha :s-smilie:
I just did all the C1 soloman papers. 50 minutes per paper whilst marking. Now 12 M1 papers left.

One question: Why is the surface area of a sphere given in the formula booklet?
Original post by thelion0
I just did all the C1 soloman papers. 50 minutes per paper whilst marking. Now 12 M1 papers left.

I'm not sure! I find those mensuration formulae to be very useful for connected rates of change in C4!
Everyone looking forward to C1 on monday? Shouldn't be too bad i'm hoping :P Easiest maths paper and it seems where people lose marks is always silly mistakes. My class did a mock and 5 of them would have gone up 20-30% if it wasn't for silly mistakes

jeez, all solomon in one day! you crazy thing!!

good luck AS students! I was in your position last year and honestly c1 is nice :smile: especially since you've done c2 so good luck!

abt 12 hours to go. good luck :smile:
Argh I try and do Solomon papers and always do rubbish because I can't do the questions, they're too hard. But when I do edexcel papers I do really good getting 65+... If I can't do Solomon papers does that mean I may struggle a little in the real exam on Monday? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamesandrew93
Argh I try and do Solomon papers and always do rubbish because I can't do the questions, they're too hard. But when I do edexcel papers I do really good getting 65+... If I can't do Solomon papers does that mean I may struggle a little in the real exam on Monday? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, the Solomon Papers are a bit harder than the real things. :smile:

You beast, haha.

Make sure you are learning from any mistakes you make in the papers as that are what practice papers are for, to see where you are weak at and where to improve upon!
Did C1 solomon papers 2 days before my january exam... Almost cried luckily its over. Lol!

C2 Solomon papers are alright, only some questions I can't do but its all good.

D1 however is sooo annoying, i know how to do it but so easy to make mistakes so i'm really worried about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Freddy-Francis
Here are the ones i think we need to know

C1 Quadratic Equation Proof:
ax2+bx+c=0ax^{2} + bx + c = 0
complete the square
ax2+bx=cax^{2} + bx = -c
x2+bax=cax^{2} + \frac{b}{a}x = \frac{-c}{a}
(x+b2a)2b24a2=ca(x+ \frac{b}{2a})^{2} - \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}} = \frac{-c}{a}
(x+b2a)2=b24a2ca(x+ \frac{b}{2a})^{2} *= \frac{b^{2}}{4a^{2}} - \frac{c}{a}*
(x+b2a)2=b24ac4a2(x+ \frac{b}{2a})^{2} *= \frac{b^{2}-4ac}{4a^{2}}
(x+b2a)=b24ac4a2(x+ \frac{b}{2a}) *= \sqrt{\frac{b^{2}-4ac}{4a^{2}}}
(x+b2a)=b24ac2a(x+ \frac{b}{2a}) *= \frac{\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}
x=b24ac2ab2ax = \frac{\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a} - \frac{b}{2a}
x=b±b24ac2ax = \frac{-b \pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}

C1 Sum of Arithmetic Series:

Sn=a+(a+d)+(a+2d)+...+(a+(n2)d)+(a+(n1)d)S_{n} = a + (a+d) + (a+2d) + ... + (a+(n-2)d) + (a+(n-1)d)
reverse*
Sn=(a+(n1)d)+(a+(n2)d)+...+(a+2d)+(a+d)+aS_{n} = *(a+(n-1)d) + (a+(n-2)d) + ... + (a+2d) + (a+d) + a
add both
2Sn=2a+(n1)d+2a+(n1)d+2a+(n1)d+...+2a+(n1)d2S_{n} = 2a + (n-1)d + 2a + (n-1)d + 2a + (n-1)d + ... + 2a + (n-1)d
2Sn=n[2a+(n1)d]2S_{n} = n[2a + (n-1)d]
Sn=n2[2a+(n1)d]S_{n} = \frac{n}{2}[2a + (n-1)d]

C2 Sum of Geometric Series:

Sn=a+ar+ar2+ar3+...+arn2+arn1S_{n} = a + ar + ar^{2} + ar^{3} + ... + ar^{n-2} + ar^{n-1}*
rSn=ar+ar2+ar3+ar4+...+arn1+arnrS_{n} = ar + ar^{2} + ar^{3} + ar^{4} + ... + ar^{n-1} + ar^{n}
SnrSn=aarn S_{n} - rS_{n} = a - ar^{n}
Sn(1r)=a(1rn) S_{n}(1 - r) = a(1 - r^{n})
Sn=a(1rn)(1r)S_{n} = \frac{a(1 - r^{n})}{(1 - r)}

Any more?

I don't think we have to be able to prove the quadratic formula, do we?
Original post by IWantSomeMushu

nope. as far as i know its not in the spec
Original post by mel1995
im actually so stressed for the c1 exam, does anyone have any ideas of what sorts of things may pop up? the january paper was so hard compared to the other ones:frown:

willing to bet that we will have to prove the sum of an arithmetic series - i don't think reciprocals will come up as they came up in January so im expecting a graph transformation using the whole f(x + a ) business lol - but please don't use this as a revision tool !!! haha :L
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
That isn't in the spec for Edexcel
For C2, what proofs do we have to learn again?

All I can remember from last year is that we gotta learn the proof for the sum of a geometric series.... :s-smilie:

I can't quite remember if there's another proof!
Original post by James A
For C2, what proofs do we have to learn again?

All I can remember from last year is that we gotta learn the proof for the sum of a geometric series.... :s-smilie:

I can't quite remember if there's another proof!

thats it i think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending