The Student Room Group

OCR B Physics G494 - June 2013 Unit 4 (OFFICIAL RETAKE THREAD)

This is the official discussion thread for the G494 exam being sat 9am Thursday 20th June.

... What is there to say? You guys know the drill, if you still need revision resources, the documents website is attatched.

Let's hope the paper isn't much harder than G495.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only talk that is happening between A2 OCR B Physics students is on the G495 thread. The resources on that thread also cover G494, so I suggest you visit there if you need certain documents.

If you are confused about a piece of G494 theory, or are stuck on an exam question, please post it here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Just wondering how everyone's revision is going... I'm so worried about physics in general!
Reply 3
Original post by master y
Just wondering how everyone's revision is going... I'm so worried about physics in general!

Same, revisions going okay I guess, As the exams quite late I don't want to do too much now. I have written out notes for everything, I only have papers left to do really.
Reply 5
How's revision going? Just need to get the big one out of the way...
Reply 6
I'm not even touching this stupid exam until Thursday afternoon. Gonna read through my notes, get about 8 past papers done and get an OK A.

I get the impression I'm gonna perform a fair amount better in this coming week's C3 and G495 than next week's C4 and G494. It should still even out nicely though, I hope.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by DurhamChemist
I'm not even touching this stupid exam until Thursday afternoon. Gonna read through my notes, get about 8 past papers done and get an OK A.

I get the impression I'm gonna perform a fair amount better in this coming week's C3 and G495 than next week's C4 and G494. It should still even out nicely though, I hope.

lol ive done like no C4 revision.... this is going to be fun. you doing ocr maths?
Reply 8
Original post by master y
lol ive done like no C4 revision.... this is going to be fun. you doing ocr maths?

Yeah, OCR (Not-MEI).
It's a complicated story for me in terms of Maths. Last year I had a great teacher and I worked very hard, doing every Misc excercise, doing nearly every normal excercise etc. Without trying to boast, I think I was very capable of full marking C1 and C2 if my exams weren't so close together and I had a better sleeping pattern back then. I got 93 and 95 respectively and was set up for the A* (265 UMS due to the awful D1, got 77).

Thing was, I got given 2 bad teachers for A2, add that to my general laziness, and this year hasn't been as good for me. I had only just covered the standard excercises a few days before C3. Tried to cram a load the day before, didn't work and got a C. (0 past papers). 2 weeks ago I made notes on C3 in general, reading my excercise workings out. I've done 6 past papers since then and it has really helped me re-learn the material. The key to Maths is experience, with enough good past papers under your belt, you're generally prepared to get at least a decent A. I plan to do 4 more before Thursday.

C4 on the other hand, I had done a few miscs and covered nicely most of the chapters, excluding most of 2, most of 6, and all of 8. Spent the past few days just learning the examples of chapters 2 and 6, plus some of the workings out my teacher did. Today I did half of chapter 8, and will be 'finished' for C4 tomorrow. My tactic is a bit risky but it's the best I can do with the time left, I'm just going to get the past paper experience (starting from Friday so 4 days lol, gonna try do 2 a day!) and hope that I would've done enough to get me an overall A in maths.

*edit* But I think one thing that will certainly help me is that I am really in the 'Maths state of mind' at the moment because of C3. A lot of C3 transfers over into C4, especially trig identities. I think I'll be OK in the end.... assuming I got a low A in S1 I need on average a low B on C3 and C4, it will probably end up as a high A in C3 and a low B in C4.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I am really worried, haven't even revised for this exam properly. :/

How is revision going for everybody?
Reply 10
Yeah, OCR (Not-MEI).
It's a complicated story for me in terms of Maths. Last year I had a great teacher and I worked very hard, doing every Misc excercise, doing nearly every normal excercise etc. Without trying to boast, I think I was very capable of full marking C1 and C2 if my exams weren't so close together and I had a better sleeping pattern back then. I got 93 and 95 respectively and was set up for the A* (265 UMS due to the awful D1, got 77).

Thing was, I got given 2 bad teachers for A2, add that to my general laziness, and this year hasn't been as good for me. I had only just covered the standard excercises a few days before C3. Tried to cram a load the day before, didn't work and got a C. (0 past papers). 2 weeks ago I made notes on C3 in general, reading my excercise workings out. I've done 6 past papers since then and it has really helped me re-learn the material. The key to Maths is experience, with enough good past papers under your belt, you're generally prepared to get at least a decent A. I plan to do 4 more before Thursday.

C4 on the other hand, I had done a few miscs and covered nicely most of the chapters, excluding most of 2, most of 6, and all of 8. Spent the past few days just learning the examples of chapters 2 and 6, plus some of the workings out my teacher did. Today I did half of chapter 8, and will be 'finished' for C4 tomorrow. My tactic is a bit risky but it's the best I can do with the time left, I'm just going to get the past paper experience (starting from Friday so 4 days lol, gonna try do 2 a day!) and hope that I would've done enough to get me an overall A in maths.

*edit* But I think one thing that will certainly help me is that I am really in the 'Maths state of mind' at the moment because of C3. A lot of C3 transfers over into C4, especially trig identities. I think I'll be OK in the end.... assuming I got a low A in S1 I need on average a low B on C3 and C4, it will probably end up as a high A in C3 and a low B in C4.

Do you do further maths too? Because if you do, you can join me in the misery of the coming Thursday of having C3, FP2 and physics paper two on that day...
Reply 11
I've got 2 Unit 4 papers left to do for next week, I need to look over most of the notes though, there are a few equations and values which I did know but have forgotten that I need to try and remember again.
Reply 12
Leaving revision for this exam until after G495. Good idea? We'll see on the day! I need to get my B from Jan up to an A this time round to hopefully secure me the A overall. But with Further Maths, Maths and Economics exams this week also, it's not going to be easy! And to add to this, I have lost my previous G494 notes as well.
Reply 13
Original post by ninuzu
Do you do further maths too? Because if you do, you can join me in the misery of the coming Thursday of having C3, FP2 and physics paper two on that day...

Sorry to say that I don't do further maths! I originally signed up for it at AS, but due to a few reasons I became scared of it after the first week and in the end switched it to Biology, did pretty well in Bio but dropped it after AS. I wish I did FM as it makes core maths a walk in the park.

Original post by Sora
Leaving revision for this exam until after G495. Good idea? We'll see on the day! I need to get my B from Jan up to an A this time round to hopefully secure me the A overall. But with Further Maths, Maths and Economics exams this week also, it's not going to be easy! And to add to this, I have lost my previous G494 notes as well.

Yeah I'm leaving it till Thursday afternoon/evening. You've lost all your g494 notes? Crazy... I've got mine, and they cover most things.
Use the revision sources on the G495 thread, I know Sam Davyson has G494 notes, and you may find some on GetRevising
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Yeah I'm leaving it till Thursday afternoon/evening. You've lost all your g494 notes? Crazy... I've got mine, and they cover most things.
Use the revision sources on the G495 thread, I know Sam Davyson has G494 notes, and you may find some on GetRevising

Yeah I used Sam Davyson for the Jan exam, and I was ready and getting 50+ marks on the past papers. Then I found the Jan paper so hard to do :frown: Haven't tried GetRevising yet though so I'll give that a go after G495!
Lmao time to revise my ass off. 1 week left till I hopefully don't have to do physics ever again :O
Reply 16
Original post by FailedMyExams
Lmao time to revise my ass off. 1 week left till I hopefully don't have to do physics ever again :O

I will be so happy this time next week for it all to be over!
Reply 17
Original post by FailedMyExams

Yeah same; I haven't done much for C4 on tuesday either. Lots of work to do.... it's the same process all over again haha.

*edit* well when I say 'same process', at least I don't have to fart about with a pre-release article!

Original post by firebolt
I will be so happy this time next week for it all to be over!

I know, it's hard to believe I am 1 week away from finishing up school! Quite annoying that I may end up at my insurance choice, but oh well. Hopefully I can replicate today's apparent success next week.
Reply 18
Yeah same; I haven't done much for C4 on tuesday either. Lots of work to do.... it's the same process all over again haha.

*edit* well when I say 'same process', at least I don't have to fart about with a pre-release article!

I know, it's hard to believe I am 1 week away from finishing up school! Quite annoying that I may end up at my insurance choice, but oh well. Hopefully I can replicate today's apparent success next week.

I know crazy, I would be happy at my insurance but now I really want an A in Physics and get to my firm! I'm not sure how much of a success today is, I found it was quite a nice paper but so did everyone else so who knows how grade boundaries are!

Well I found that exam generally not too bad; unfortunately I missed off the two questions (3 marks) from the back page. Doubly annoyed as I am told they were easy marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending