The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing MSc LJMU

hi, im a psychology graduate with a 2:1 degree. im currently working as a support worker and am really interested in going into nursing. i was looking at the titled course but ive heard that it is very difficult to get on to (as i expect is the case with all MSc's) just wondering if anyone has applied or is currently doing the course and could inform me of what to expect in the interview and a general idea of what the course involves. id really like to move forward im considering doing another undergraduate course in nursing but im just undecided atm about committing to another 3yrs in uni thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi, I will try and help you if I can. :smile:

The first thing that is important is the Msc at LJMU is that it has been brought in as part of the governments drive to recruit more health visitors by 2015. The Msc leads to a place on the SCPHN 1 year course. Its classed as a 2+1 course. It doesn't really explain this on the website that well, but they did at the open evening. I know that people on here have applied and been rejected as they haven't shown rationale for health visiting.

I think the recruitment for September 13 has closed now as applications had to be in by the end of Feb. I also think its one of those courses that is commissioned on a yearly basis depending on the funding so it might not be confirmed again until later in the year, unless they have advertised more intakes.

The places are quite limited, i cant remember how many but it wasn't a lot, if they advertise an open evening it's well worth going. If its just nursing you want you might be better to to apply for a post grad diploma in nursing. That is 2 years and I know Nottingham and Sheffield Hallam offer the course.

I was offered an interview for the course in April but I didn't go in the end. The interview was maths and English tests then a presentation/ interview on a public health issue.

I have a place at Chester for their 2+1 course . They also offer something similar, but again it's for HV and its not guaranteed every year as its part of this current drive.

I think that's everything- good luck if you do decide to go ahead :smile: x
Reply 2
Hi, I'm also starting the 2+1 at Chester in September... are you on the induction day tomorrow (26th)? Lisa
Reply 3
Hiya Lisa,

Yes I was, I must have missed this post. Did you enjoy it? It's starting to feel very real now. Where were you sat? X
Reply 4
Hi, yes it was really good on induction day I actually started to believe it wasn't all a dream!! I was sat at the top corner (4 from far end)? it was quite a small group where were you sat? Or how was you described by your parner that might put a face to you? Lisa x
Reply 5
Original post by lisa3
Hi, yes it was really good on induction day I actually started to believe it wasn't all a dream!! I was sat at the top corner (4 from far end)? it was quite a small group where were you sat? Or how was you described by your parner that might put a face to you? Lisa x

I know, I am really looking forward to getting stuck in now. It's really exciting, to finally be doing something I have wanted for a long time :smile:

I was sat along the back, I was fourth along if you had the door behind you and the windows on front.

Were you sat on the side with the door or the windows?

How is your portfolio coming along? I have made a start as would like to get as much done as soon as I can so its not hanging over me all summer x
Reply 6
Hi are you the lady with 3 children (1 only 10 months old?) I'm lisa... if its you I think we had a chat, I'm the one with the 20, 8 and 5 year old sons! I've not started my portfolio yet ive been doing a psychology assignment due next week ( Uni asked me to take a short course to meet the 'studied within the last 5 years' criteria) :/)) so will start it next week. how have you found it? Is it quite straight forward? Lisa x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending