The Student Room Group

Is it unfair to break up with someone over the exam period?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It would be unfair to pretend everything is fine for the next few weeks, but yeah i guess he'd be pretty gutted so maybe talk to him sooner than later so he can get on with his exams:smile:
Original post by Treeroy
^ a weakness.

I've no doubt that there wouldn't be a huge difference between breaking up with him now and breaking up in a month, but it's a difference regardless. A small advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

I simply don't see why you would want to care about how this guy feels, but then again I don't really care how anyone feels, so I guess that's a bit of a moot point.
I don't really care, I like helping other people (at least ones I like) out and doing the 'good' thing. I'd rather have that "weakness" than be cold and unfeeling. To be fair though, I don't think you're typical of people in general, and it's more likely OP is like me than you, considering they made a thread asking about whether it's "unfair" to break up with someone.
Having experienced this myself with exams at university, for his sake, please don't mess it up for him. Even though you may think the love has gone, it would be nice to show some respect and consideration by leaving the bad news until after exams. Fair enough, you're entitled to end it now and gain an extra month of your own happiness, but is it really worth potentially sacrificing his future in Oxford? I can understand both sides of the argument, but try to see the bigger picture given the timing and don't just think about yourself as you clearly care about him as you're in a relationship, even if you do want to bring it to an end. I wish my ex had been a bit more considerate, it just made it really hard to focus on revision and exams, but we had been together nearly 5 years and was not something I was expecting at all just before exams started. I was lucky to just about get through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending