The Student Room Group

English Literature Exam 23 May Poetry

Just wondering how did people find it? I studied the relationship cluster, but which poems did you pick and what points for the unseen poem? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oweeze123
Just wondering how did people find it? I studied the relationship cluster, but which poems did you pick and what points for the unseen poem? Thanks

I thought it was alright, although i did the Conflict cluster. For the unseen poem i said something about how the structure showed a journey as her daughter was growing up, and her ideas about her daughter growing up were both positive and negative but ended with her daughter saying goodbye with a handkerchief, which i thought was a final negative at how she didn't want her daughter to grow up so soon.
Although english isn't really one of my strong subjects so i'm just hoping i did well :biggrin:

How'd you find it? :smile:
Reply 2
I found it quite good, I put about the unseen poem, that the handkerchief represents the sadness of the mother and all about self realisation :smile:
I found it quite good, I put about the unseen poem, that the handkerchief represents the sadness of the mother and all about self realisation :smile:

Ahh that's good then, and yeah i said something like that too, like handkerchiefs represent sadness (in a way) with tears and all, i think i might've stretched it but i think it was quite a nice unseen poem, for me anyway. How did your first section of the exam go?
Reply 4
I did 'relationships' too, and I did Sonnet 116 with To His Coy Mistress...what did you do? I didn't have time for the handkerchief but I did things about how she starts like wobbly then screaming with laughter while the mum is worried, but also kind of wants her to fall so she can catch up...? Loved both questions!
Reply 5
Oh no I didn't, haha! I did In Paris with You, but not many people did...
Original post by nombo
I did 'relationships' too, and I did Sonnet 116 with To His Coy Mistress...what did you do? I didn't have time for the handkerchief but I did things about how she starts like wobbly then screaming with laughter while the mum is worried, but also kind of wants her to fall so she can catch up...? Loved both questions!

Those are some pretty good points for the unseen poem, i think i mentioned something about her wanting the daughter to fall, in a way that she doesn't grow up so soon, and how she was going into the distance and leaving her mother alone.
Reply 7
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Those are some pretty good points for the unseen poem, i think i mentioned something about her wanting the daughter to fall, in a way that she doesn't grow up so soon, and how she was going into the distance and leaving her mother alone.

Oo nice one! I hinted at that but didn't expand. What books did you do for Literature? I did Purple Hibiscus and Lord of the Flies - the last question was horrid!
Original post by nombo
Oo nice one! I hinted at that but didn't expand. What books did you do for Literature? I did Purple Hibiscus and Lord of the Flies - the last question was horrid!

Haha thanks :biggrin: Ahh well i'm sure you'd do well with the points you gave anyway :smile: I did An Inspector Calls and Of Mice And Men, the questions for the first text were awful! But the section B might've saved me a bit but i kinda ran out of time so rushed the ending, ahh well. How'd you find the exams overall anyway?
Reply 9
Haha thanks :biggrin: Ahh well i'm sure you'd do well with the points you gave anyway :smile: I did An Inspector Calls and Of Mice And Men, the questions for the first text were awful! But the section B might've saved me a bit but i kinda ran out of time so rushed the ending, ahh well. How'd you find the exams overall anyway?

Oh thank you, I hope so!
Me too, wrote barely anything for part b!
Not too bad, I don't feel stressed or relieved or anything, which is awful because I thus have no motivation! How about you?
Original post by nombo
Oh thank you, I hope so!
Me too, wrote barely anything for part b!
Not too bad, I don't feel stressed or relieved or anything, which is awful because I thus have no motivation! How about you?

Well they seemed like good points, like the one about the screaming, good luck with it :smile: What are you predicted for it out of curiosity?
Ahh too bad, well if lots of people wrote a little on section B then hopefully they'll be more lenient, although i did see an example section B once that was only about a page and got full marks, so you never know.
Well i guess i'm just glad it's over, and i think it went alright though, both papers went better than i expected, but that's mainly because i stressed out so much for this exam thinking i'd not be able to do anything, which was silly but i can never be sure with english.
Reply 11
Well they seemed like good points, like the one about the screaming, good luck with it :smile: What are you predicted for it out of curiosity?
Ahh too bad, well if lots of people wrote a little on section B then hopefully they'll be more lenient, although i did see an example section B once that was only about a page and got full marks, so you never know.
Well i guess i'm just glad it's over, and i think it went alright though, both papers went better than i expected, but that's mainly because i stressed out so much for this exam thinking i'd not be able to do anything, which was silly but i can never be sure with english.

Thank you, an A*. What about you? I'm going to keep in touch with you and let you know what happens, will you do the same?
Oo good thinking! Hopefully, hopefully!
Yes both papers weren't AWFUL, but the second was so much kinder than the first! English can be so unpredictable, you're right!
Original post by nombo
Thank you, an A*. What about you? I'm going to keep in touch with you and let you know what happens, will you do the same?
Oo good thinking! Hopefully, hopefully!
Yes both papers weren't AWFUL, but the second was so much kinder than the first! English can be so unpredictable, you're right!

You're welcome :smile: Wow that's really awesome, for some odd reason my teacher predicted me an A*, he must have confidence in me that i don't have myself, but really doubt i'm going to get it so i'm aiming for an A. Yay sounds cool, sure i will :smile:
Haha yeah well that's always my confidence boost or looking at a bright side of things when i run out of time (which happens quite a lot :tongue:)
Yeah i agree, although paper 1 could've gone better, but it wasn't as bad as some of my other exams like german. And yeah that's why i like other subjects like science better, it's quite predictable, but English is the opposite, but i do really like poetry for some reason.
Reply 13
You're welcome :smile: Wow that's really awesome, for some odd reason my teacher predicted me an A*, he must have confidence in me that i don't have myself, but really doubt i'm going to get it so i'm aiming for an A. Yay sounds cool, sure i will :smile:
Haha yeah well that's always my confidence boost or looking at a bright side of things when i run out of time (which happens quite a lot :tongue:)
Yeah i agree, although paper 1 could've gone better, but it wasn't as bad as some of my other exams like german. And yeah that's why i like other subjects like science better, it's quite predictable, but English is the opposite, but i do really like poetry for some reason.

Your teacher must know you and your work best, I'm sure you'll do well and get an A*! But an A is good anyway, lots of people would kill for an A.
Oh I did German! I didn't like the listening but the reading was oookay. I finished early and drew a farmyard in the booklet :biggrin: I hope it cheers the examiner up! But you're right, science is so...formulaic, which is helpful. I really need to practise my timings for the next English exam, though! I'm awful with that. It's 1.5mins per mark, but I always go over!
Original post by nombo
Your teacher must know you and your work best, I'm sure you'll do well and get an A*! But an A is good anyway, lots of people would kill for an A.
Oh I did German! I didn't like the listening but the reading was oookay. I finished early and drew a farmyard in the booklet :biggrin: I hope it cheers the examiner up! But you're right, science is so...formulaic, which is helpful. I really need to practise my timings for the next English exam, though! I'm awful with that. It's 1.5mins per mark, but I always go over!

Thank you that's actually cheered me up, because i pretty much think there isn't a chance to get an A* for me, and thanks hopefully i will :smile: Same goes for you, i'm sure you'll do great :smile: And yeah of course an A is really great, i'd even kill for it. Are you going to pick either English for A-levels? Not something i'd want to go into but still a nice grade in english looks amazing :smile:
Oh cool, yeah i found the listening really awful, they repeated the options too much so you couldn't eliminate the ones you didn't hear, and it was really hard. The reading wasn't too great for me, it was also pretty confusing, i don't think i did too well on either to be honest. Haha nice, they might up your marks for that amazing drawing :wink:
Yeah it makes it easier to revise for i guess, i always find it strange trying to revise for english because i'm not sure where to start. Yeah so do I, i've got language on the 4th, but our school made everyone retake it after we did it in january because the exam boards didn't send out the grade boundaries and so we aren't too sure what we all got, which is annoying because i thought sitting the exam once was enough torture for me :tongue: Yeah even though you get 2 hours 15 minutes then i still feel i need more time.
Reply 15
Thank you that's actually cheered me up, because i pretty much think there isn't a chance to get an A* for me, and thanks hopefully i will :smile: Same goes for you, i'm sure you'll do great :smile: And yeah of course an A is really great, i'd even kill for it. Are you going to pick either English for A-levels? Not something i'd want to go into but still a nice grade in english looks amazing :smile:
Oh cool, yeah i found the listening really awful, they repeated the options too much so you couldn't eliminate the ones you didn't hear, and it was really hard. The reading wasn't too great for me, it was also pretty confusing, i don't think i did too well on either to be honest. Haha nice, they might up your marks for that amazing drawing :wink:
Yeah it makes it easier to revise for i guess, i always find it strange trying to revise for english because i'm not sure where to start. Yeah so do I, i've got language on the 4th, but our school made everyone retake it after we did it in january because the exam boards didn't send out the grade boundaries and so we aren't too sure what we all got, which is annoying because i thought sitting the exam once was enough torture for me :tongue: Yeah even though you get 2 hours 15 minutes then i still feel i need more time.

No, I don't think I'm going to do an English, although I love English and will probably keep writing in my spare time. I've already made my A-Level choices and I don't want to do five, so I have to drop English! And History, which I love!
Yeah, I have to agree, German in general hasn't been my easiest. I'm pretty certain they're gonna up my marks, it was a rather incredible drawing :wink:
That's really annoying, but at least you get another go! I know, I know - I have such a love/hate relationship with the time. On the one hand, my hand is going to cry blood after, but on the other hand, IT'S NEVER ENOUGH TIME!
Original post by nombo
No, I don't think I'm going to do an English, although I love English and will probably keep writing in my spare time. I've already made my A-Level choices and I don't want to do five, so I have to drop English! And History, which I love!
Yeah, I have to agree, German in general hasn't been my easiest. I'm pretty certain they're gonna up my marks, it was a rather incredible drawing :wink:
That's really annoying, but at least you get another go! I know, I know - I have such a love/hate relationship with the time. On the one hand, my hand is going to cry blood after, but on the other hand, IT'S NEVER ENOUGH TIME!

Oh well fair enough, and yeah i really like english as in writing stories and poems, but i don't like all the english to do with exams, and you'd be surprised how fun it is writing on your own accord, i used to write some stories last summer but haven't got the chance recently, but it's kinda fun. :smile: Oh cool, which subjects did you pick? And i never liked history, i didn't even pick it for GCSE :tongue:
Yeah, i was late to joining my german class, since everyone else started in year 7 and i started in year 9, but even though i have improved a lot, it was still really hard and one of my weaker subjects. Hahaha, of course they will :wink: I don't see any reason to not up someone's marks because of a drawing they drew :tongue:
Yeah i guess so, and i saw how badly i did in my question 4, but the rest was alright so now i can improve that. Haha yeah my hand is dying after the english exam, but i still wish i had enough time, and then you get subjects like german where you get way too much time :rolleyes: the exam boards are messing with us!
Reply 17
Oh well fair enough, and yeah i really like english as in writing stories and poems, but i don't like all the english to do with exams, and you'd be surprised how fun it is writing on your own accord, i used to write some stories last summer but haven't got the chance recently, but it's kinda fun. :smile: Oh cool, which subjects did you pick? And i never liked history, i didn't even pick it for GCSE :tongue:
Yeah, i was late to joining my german class, since everyone else started in year 7 and i started in year 9, but even though i have improved a lot, it was still really hard and one of my weaker subjects. Hahaha, of course they will :wink: I don't see any reason to not up someone's marks because of a drawing they drew :tongue:
Yeah i guess so, and i saw how badly i did in my question 4, but the rest was alright so now i can improve that. Haha yeah my hand is dying after the english exam, but i still wish i had enough time, and then you get subjects like german where you get way too much time :rolleyes: the exam boards are messing with us!

Yeah, it's hard to finish things I've started writing though! I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths, and French for A-levels - what are you doing?
Yes, we started German in Year 8 I think, because nobody had done it before then. Almost everyone had done French in primary school though, and I hadn't! It's alright now, I don't struggle with it.
Omg I know, German was hard but there was SOOOOOO much extra time!!! Hence the farm.
Original post by nombo
Yeah, it's hard to finish things I've started writing though! I'm doing Bio, Chem, Maths, and French for A-levels - what are you doing?
Yes, we started German in Year 8 I think, because nobody had done it before then. Almost everyone had done French in primary school though, and I hadn't! It's alright now, I don't struggle with it.
Omg I know, German was hard but there was SOOOOOO much extra time!!! Hence the farm.

Yeah true, but when i get in a rhythm of writing something, or writing an exam i just flow with it and actually get a lot done. That sounds kinda weird saying it now, haha but i don't know it works for me. Oh cool, i'm guessing you also took French at GCSE to do it at A-Levels, i would die having to do another foreign language, i barely survived german :tongue: I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics, and possibly Geography since one of the sixth forms asked me to do 5 :/
Oh i see, that probably made it harder. Yeah I had french in my primary school, but I didn't learn anything because I hated it so much. Oh cool well that's good then, i don't really stuggle much german as much but it wouldn't matter since i'm not going to take it further with A-Levels.
Yeah exactly! The extra time didn't make it any easier, harder in fact since i started double thinking what i wrote, which is normally a bad thing for me. Lol the farm :tongue: I can imagine you'd have added some animals and a farmer had you even more time :tongue: A windmill might've made a nice addition too.
Reply 19

I did this cluster too, i chose the question about sonnet 116 and then compared it to the manhunt:smile:
I thought the unseen was ok and just suggested how it could be interpreted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending