The Student Room Group

AQA Food Technology GCSE - 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Does anyone know any biscuit recipes they dont mind giving me?
Reply 41
can anyone show me an example on how to get full 30 marks on the design question? iv done a few mock papers and cant seem to pick up all 30 marks. Thanks in advance. P.S for the exam tomorrow
Reply 42
Original post by chloeiskwl
Does anyone know any biscuit recipes they dont mind giving me?

I'm learning this cheese shortbread recipe: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/30022/cheese-shortbread-biscuits.aspx

It's quite simple and can easily be adapted for different designs!

Then I'd probably learn a sweet biscuit recipe as well, I'm doing a fruity/oaty biscuit too, like this one: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8781/blueberry-and-pecan-oaties

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 43
I am also doing the exam tomorrow and i'm so nervous! I got an A in my coursework so does anyone know what i would have to get in this exam to keep my A grade?
We've been told that the last question MIGHT be one of these two-
How do manufacturers ensure that the packaging they use is environmentally friendly and supports sustainable resource? OR- How can food manufacturers develop/modify products to meet the needs of special dietary groups?

the answer to number 1 would be:
have labels to show advice on how to dispose of packaging, keep/reduce the amount of packaging so it is kept to a minimum, materials that are used support sustainable resources, re-use recyclable material, use biodegradable materials to reduce harm to wildlife and reduce land fill sites, use paperboard as it is easily disposable and can be recycled.

the answer to number 2 would be:
food companies can change the ingredients in their products depending upon the special diet they are aiming their product at.
Vegetarian- ensure products contain no meat, substitute with quorn
Vegan- make sure no animal by products are produced. USE SOYA
Coeliacs- gluten free flour
Diabetics- sugar substitute such as splenda
Original post by Rakib1010
I've done no revision and I'm literally dying. I achieved an A* in my controlled assessment so even if I gain an E, I'll average out a C. LOL :frown: What are you revising on? Topics?

pretty much anything i can get in my head? from healthy eating to packaging :/
Reply 45
Diabetes- sugar free ingredients
People weight watching- eating fewer calories
Low fat diets- reducing fat, i.e low fat spreads
Low salt diets- avoid salted butter and cheese

Thats what i cud think of, hope it helpd lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Would i also have to add what each ingredient does and what is its purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR-13
Would i also have to add what each ingredient does and what is its purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, the function of the ingredient and how it links to the specification:smile:
Reply 48
Original post by AR-13
can anyone show me an example on how to get full 30 marks on the design question? iv done a few mock papers and cant seem to pick up all 30 marks. Thanks in advance. P.S for the exam tomorrow

Well I did the mock or june 2012 and my teacher gave me full marks im trying to find the paper but i cant. However, all you really have to do is draw the picture of your meal (now there is loads of people who spend ages on the picture trying to color it in I for one have never even colored mine in so dont take to long on that). The main bit is the annotation it has to be detailed for example:
last year it was design a pasta meal that follows the eat well plate and has a animal source of protein. Your answer should be something like this

lamb: the lamb in this meal represent the animal source of protein
pasta: the pasta in this meal represent the carbohydrate aspect o the eatwell plate as flour is use to make pasta
you get the point right
Reply 49
people keep talking about vegans and vegetarians. Dont talk about it in the exam I repeat do not take about this in the exam. This is beacuse being a vegan or vegetarian is a life style choice not a dietary need
Reply 50
Reply 51
Original post by AR-13

I'm not sure it's always 30 marks, but with your two designs, give them a descriptive title, make sure they can work out your drawing (with colour) and tick off each spec point as you go.

As for the kitchen plan, there's 18 things you can do, but only 12 marks, so make sure to do the simple stuff; if your plan makes sense, that's a mark already, and you will also get a mark for mentioning a key term, storage, temperatures, times etc.
But vegan and lacto vegetarian are still dietary needs as it is a requirement that has to be considered when manufacturing a product, whether it is a choice or not, it is still a need
Reply 53
On the design question, do you simply label the ingredient and write was it's nutrition role is. Or do you have to do anything else.
Reply 54
Original post by jamiepman
On the design question, do you simply label the ingredient and write was it's nutrition role is. Or do you have to do anything else.

You should also probably mention how each part meets the design specification. So if it's asking for a healthy product, you can explain that adding vegetables to the product will provide vitamins, and it meets the '5 a day' recommendation etc.
Reply 55
Original post by saffire
You should also probably mention how each part meets the design specification. So if it's asking for a healthy product, you can explain that adding vegetables to the product will provide vitamins, and it meets the '5 a day' recommendation etc.

so how about biscuits?
Reply 56
im so confused about section A do you basically draw one sweet and one savoury biscuit and annotate the functions of butter flour ect ? PLEASE REPLY ASAP NEED TO REVISE LIKEEE NOW :smile: EXAMS TOMORROW :frown:
Reply 57
Original post by Help4321
im so confused about section A do you basically draw one sweet and one savoury biscuit and annotate the functions of butter flour ect ? PLEASE REPLY ASAP NEED TO REVISE LIKEEE NOW :smile: EXAMS TOMORROW :frown:

Thats what im doing...
Reply 58
Original post by jamiepman
so how about biscuits?

Well it just depends on the specification, you just need to explain how your biscuit meets whatever they've asked for. So if they ask for a low fat biscuit, you explain how you've reduced the fat content, or if they ask for a healthy biscuit, you can include fruit and explain that this will provide vitamins, if that makes any sense?
Reply 59
Good luck everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending