The Student Room Group

How do I ace my Maths GCSE?

Hello all,

I'm currently with Edexcel and doing the modular course. I've done Unit 1 last March and resat Unit 2 in March(in which I got a C originally, and was 3 marks off an A in the resit) and going to do Unit 3. However, my teacher has entered my to resit Unit 1 (in which I was a mark off an A).

I'm not struggling with the content of Unit 1, as looking at it now, seems pretty straightforward. It's just the Unit 3 stuff that completely leaves me baffled. Maths has never been my forte but I've been getting Bs and (very rarely) As in mocks in class. I have Mathswatch and printed off both the specs, but does anyone have any other tips/resources? I'd really like an A overall :frown:

I'd be eternally thankful for any input :colondollar:
Original post by laylarose
Hello all,

I'm currently with Edexcel and doing the modular course. I've done Unit 1 last March and resat Unit 2 in March(in which I got a C originally, and was 3 marks off an A in the resit) and going to do Unit 3. However, my teacher has entered my to resit Unit 1 (in which I was a mark off an A).

I'm not struggling with the content of Unit 1, as looking at it now, seems pretty straightforward. It's just the Unit 3 stuff that completely leaves me baffled. Maths has never been my forte but I've been getting Bs and (very rarely) As in mocks in class. I have Mathswatch and printed off both the specs, but does anyone have any other tips/resources? I'd really like an A overall :frown:

I'd be eternally thankful for any input :colondollar:

1) Try and do all the questions on the topics at which you are struggling in (from the textbook).

2) PAST PAPERS- These will help you tons, both with exam technique and general theory.

3) I would recommend buying "Letts Success- Edexcel GCSE Mathematics workbook.

Hope these help, btw, where did you get Mathswatch from?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by catalyst_777
1) Try and do all the questions on the topics at which you are struggling in (from the textbook).

2) PAST PAPERS- These will help you tons, both with exam technique and general theory.

3) I would recommend buying "Letts Success- Edexcel GCSE Mathematics workbook.

Hope these help, btw, where did you get Mathswatch from?

Ah, thank you so much! I'll try and order the book tomorrow (or go on a WHSmith quest)

And the Maths department at my school were selling the CD for 50p :tongue:
Im on the same boat as you. I got a B in unit 1, and A in unit 2 and i'm currently on Unit 3 and struggling a lot with it.Use the textbooks they give you in school. Edexcel has one and they're really useful. Also, BBC bite size have some videos, talking you through some of the topics which are useful as a sort of "home tutoring" system. The main thing is to not worry. It may be stressful and daunting, but it's most of the Unit 3 stuff is unit 2 work, so if you did OK in that then you should be fine. Just try and practice as many questions as you can and you'll be fine! Good luck! 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What do I need to know for unit 2 tomorrow.... Haven't dne ANY revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find the maths GCSE 11 June 2013 ???
If you can remember any of the answers you put for specific questions please tell me so that I can compare with mine.

Thanks
Pay complete attention in class
Complete all the exercises of your workbooks.
Complete some extra exercises on the internet on relevant topics.
Read alternative explanations of the subjects.
Do past papers.
Make good notes so you can refer to the information quickly in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending