The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ade9000
Yeah. Standards are rising and it really is tricky to get in to these universities. UCL only recently started doing interviews for chemical engineering and bumped up their offer range to a max of A*AA. Around the time I was applying was when Imperial decided to take me for a mug and give me an A*A*A offer. Ah well.

I study chemical engineering at UCL. Finished my 2nd year exam about a month ago. Little heads up: UCL have a new policy that require students to have a language at GCSE and if they don't, they'll take a course unit in a language during their degree or during the summer.

Ah damn it; the interview will kill me :redface:
A*A*A ha, that's ridiculous! That's currently the entry requirement at Imperial or A*AAA, I think.

Oh that sounds great. What's it like?
Ah that should be fine, I did 3 languages at GCSE :L Thanks though. Does it matter which or is any MFL okay? Beats me why they want a language when I'm applying for Chem Eng though o.O
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Ah damn it; the interview will kill me :redface:
A*A*A ha, that's ridiculous! That's currently the entry requirement at Imperial or A*AAA, I think.

Oh that sounds great. What's it like?
Ah that should be fine, I did 3 languages at GCSE :L Thanks though. Does it matter which or is any MFL okay? Beats me why they want a language when I'm applying for Chem Eng though o.O

The interview for Imperial was rather relaxing. Maybe because I got a good interviewer who asked me about batch reactors and kinetics. The interview for Surrey *wipes sweat from forehead* Now that was brutal, they pulled down my MEng application to a BEng offer :mad:

Chemical Engineering at UCL is decent. We have good lecturers, the students integrate with each other very well but I do feel we could do with better lab equipment since our stuff is like toys compared the big daddy institutes like Imperial.

As long as you have a MFL and it doesn't include Latin, Biblical Hebrew or Ancient Greek, you're good. It's just this new stupid policy UCL brought up to encourage students to take a language at GCSE. Not that taking a language at GCSE is bad.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ade9000
The interview for Imperial was rather relaxing. Maybe because I got a good interviewer who asked me about batch reactors and kinetics. The interview for Surrey *wipes sweat from forehead* Now that was brutal, they pulled down my MEng application to a BEng offer :mad:

Chemical Engineering at UCL is decent. We have good lecturers, the students integrate with each other very well but I do feel we could do with better lab equipment since our stuff is like toys compared the big daddy institutes like Imperial.

As long as you have a MFL and it doesn't include Latin, Biblical Hebrew or Ancient Greek, you're good. It's just this new stupid policy UCL brought up to encourage students to take a language at GCSE. Not that taking a language at GCSE is bad.

It really does depend on the interviewer, doesn't it :s-smilie: And luck :frown:
Oh dear :redface: I thought Surrey was easier to get into!

Haha, there's no comparison to somewhere like Imperial I'm sure!
I visited Imperial the other day and it looked amazing! But then again, everything looks amazing compared to what I'm used to.

I see, well that's reasonable, I suppose.
Thanks very much for your help (:
Original post by x-Sophie-x
It really does depend on the interviewer, doesn't it :s-smilie: And luck :frown:
Oh dear :redface: I thought Surrey was easier to get into!

Haha, there's no comparison to somewhere like Imperial I'm sure!
I visited Imperial the other day and it looked amazing! But then again, everything looks amazing compared to what I'm used to.

I see, well that's reasonable, I suppose.
Thanks very much for your help (:

No worries. Good luck with the applications :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest