The Student Room Group

Extremely depressed about leaving university :(

I'm on a four-year course and due to graduate uni next year. Before I came to uni, my life was completely different (single mother with abusive boyfriends, often had nowhere to stay, no social life at home to speak of). This affected me when I got to uni, but this has ended up being the place where I grew up and actually started to live a normal life.

First and second year were pretty up and down for me due to lack of money and having to juggle home problems with being a student, but thankfully the last year has been pretty good to me and I know final year is going to be amazing, though all too short I fear.

I'm already starting to feel bad about leaving, though, even though I don't graduate for another year. I'm going down to London for the whole summer, as opposed to staying in my university city as I have for the past summer holidays, as I have some internships lined up. I want to settle in London after I graduate and I'm going to find work there, but I've spent so long at my university and settled in so much that it feels like home. Even just going away for the summer is depressing me, though realistically I wouldn't want to spend the holidays alone in my house either.

I know graduating gets everyone down but it's not even for another year, and I'll stay in touch with all my good friends. It's just that I'm really attached to my university as a place, because it's the first place I've actually had a normal life and it has a beautiful campus. I feel like it's "home", because I could never call the place where I struggled to survive and went to school in home. But after I graduate, all my friends will be leaving too and there is no reason for me to come back, so how do I stop feeling like this? It's not such a great city that I want to work here afterwards, but I feel like it will break my heart when I go down to London.
You found profound happiness in your University, which you may find in your new workplace.

I think being optimistic is the best way to deal with situations like this.

I hope that helps and goodluck with the amazing life of yours to come :smile:
Reply 2
Why are you so keen on returning to live in London after you graduate, if you've found such a home at uni?
I live in London, but go to uni in Stirling. Whilst I've only just finished my first year, I have loved it there, and fully intend to move to Scotland on a permanent basis after I graduate!
I was sad when I left uni, too. I can't pretend to have had the problems at home that you have, but all the same I'd met people who I was very close to and was worried that we wouldn't see each other when we all moved back home (I was right really- I graduated a year ago and haven't seen the majority of people who I was so close to during the degree).

I took a long time to adapt. It was as though I'd made this whole new life at uni, then all of a sudden it was over and I was right back to where I was before I started. In many ways, it was as though those three years had never happened.

But they did. I learned to think of uni as a vital part of my journey towards becoming who I am today. I know I wouldn't be the person I was without uni and the people I met while I was there, and that makes me think about the experience in the way it shaped me, and being glad that it happened rather than sad that it's over.

Another thing it taught me was that it's possible to make amazing friends, who will be there for a lifetime, and that I can make more friends like that no matter which situation I might be placed in. As will you. Enjoy London, grasp hold of every possible experience. Don't resent your past that lead you to where you are. It helps you to appreciate the people you've met and the opportunities that are now open to you; everything that happens adds up to who we are now.

You will miss people, and uni, but it will get easier :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by tufc
Why are you so keen on returning to live in London after you graduate, if you've found such a home at uni?

I live in London, but go to uni in Stirling. Whilst I've only just finished my first year, I have loved it there, and fully intend to move to Scotland on a permanent basis after I graduate!

London isn't my home either, I just want to work there because it has more opportunities and I do really like the place too. I guess a lot of my uni and course friends will be working there too.

My university city isn't great; it's up North, has a high crime rate and all my friends will be gone after I graduate. I feel like I'd be trying to hang onto something that's no longer there if I hang around after everyone I know has left. On the other hand, the campus as a place is absolutely stunning, but I can't see much reason to return as an alumni. It's four hours away from London too.
Reply 5
Well done on struggling through and getting your degree under what must have been very difficult circumstances, you shouldn't have posted anonymously, you should be proud of what you have achieved, and shouldn't be ashamed of the feelings you're having. When you integrate into a way of life, in a city you like, with people you like, in a way it's a first love, and the thought of leaving it behind is sad, but you have to look upon this as just another step forward in your journey for you and your kid(s).
Reply 6
Although it doesn't feel it now, you will feel differently in a year. If you had such an incredible transformation before uni and at uni, that means that the next transition, to life as a graduate, will be just as exciting and fulfilling. Change doesn't have to be a bad thing! Everyone gets blue when they finish uni and leave that stage of life behind but that doesn't mean all the good times are over - plus you can have the best times going back for weekend visits with all your friends and getting nostalgic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending