The Student Room Group

Who was your favourite Roman?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Biggest let-down is Octavian. Because he changed his name from Octavian, which is badass, to Augustus, who is the fat kid in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Reply 41
Crassus, the most fabulous of all his peers!
Reply 42
Scipio Africanus was the man, Pompey was overrated although still a fantastic general.
Original post by Plainview
Biggest let-down is Octavian. Because he changed his name from Octavian, which is badass, to Augustus, who is the fat kid in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I think Augustus has a far better meaning than Octavian.
Lucullus. Able to do so much with so little.
Reply 45
One Roman who I'm quite interested in is Vespasian. What I like about him as a Roman, is that he was normal. Unlike most Romans who were egotistical, mad, evil, tyrannical, incestuous, or some kind of megalomaniac, Vespasian was plain ordinary by Roman standards. Naturally he, like most Romans, were driving by politics, and by a desire to climb the ladder, but he brought stability to an empire who was ruled by madman, the last being Nero, who was supremely unpopular by everyone, senators, armies, and plebeians alike. After rule of the four Emperors, Vespasian brought stability and reform to the Empire once more.
I love this question !! I absolutely love lilva drusilla, the third wife of Augustus :smile: she was such a character and the 'mother of Rome' - she's one of my favourite women in history :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NaomiMG
I love this question !! I absolutely love lilva drusilla, the third wife of Augustus :smile: she was such a character and the 'mother of Rome' - she's one of my favourite women in history :smile:

She's so bad in I, Claudius. I wonder how realistic that is. Did she poison so many people? Even Augustus! :eek:
Original post by The Angry Stoic
She's so bad in I, Claudius. I wonder how realistic that is. Did she poison so many people? Even Augustus! :eek:

Ive read so many books on her and fully believe her to be guilty :smile: I picture her as a really power hungry murderer but maybe not to the extent as I, Claudius - though I do think she killed Augustus!!! It's my favourite roman mystery :smile: I want to write a mystery novel based on it one day :biggrin:
There are two characters which counts to my personal favorites: Gaius Julius Caesar, because he was the most successful conqueror and Marcus Tullius Cicero, as there are some writings and orations (Catilina for instance) which are interesting and pleasures me. If characters from Roman mythology can be named, then Romulus and Remus who were the founders of the ancient Rome count to my favorites too.
Cicero! Great statesman and noble defender of Roman Republican principles :smile:
Original post by Super Cicero
Cicero! Great statesman and noble defender of Roman Republican principles :smile:

oh I was wondering which roman you would choose (sarcasm over) I have to agree Cicero is awesome :smile:
Original post by Super Cicero

Oh please, he was an arrogant and foolish fellow that had about as much integrity as a wood louse. All of his political speeches are posthumous productions in other words, that is how he wanted to be remembered, and his letters make an interesting contrast (i.e. a scyophant who believed every Roman senator was in love in with him - ol' Cicero, the lawyer with no armed forces. Yeah right.) His speech against Verres, which we should be under no illusion was composed and delivered for Pompey's interest, is filled with hysterical hyperbole. Cicero's speech against Catiline is to a large extent fabricated and self-inflated etc.

Evidently, I don't like Cicero :colonhash: My favourite Roman is Petronius.
I have read that Vespasian cured a blind man by stroking a finger over the eyes of the blind man during his stay in Alexandria. What do you think about that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
It's Roman Greece, but Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus (Plutarch) without a doubt.
Second would probably be Pliny the Younger, because of his undying love for Calpurnia. Such a sweetie.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
Marcus Tullius Cicero and Marcus Tullius Tiro.
Studying Cicero's Ad Verrem is very interesting and then I came across Tiro and the positive relationship between the two is interesting too.
Roman Bellic
Original post by MrHayden
Crassus, the most fabulous of all his peers!

Did he not have peoples houses burnt down and would only put the fire out if they sold the property to him? He also had a ironic death.
Cicero.
Nero, he was a very interesting character.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending