The Student Room Group

A-Levels or Foundation?

I need some advices. I'm done with IGCSEs and now I'm having a super hard time deciding on what program I should do for when I join the college next year. I'm thinking of going into the business area (Accounting and Finance maybe I'm not so sure at the moment) and if I were to do A-Levels, my subject choices would be Mathematics, Accounting and Economics.

I know that if I get good results I'd be able to choose what university I'd want to join but a lot of people have told me that A-Levels Mathematics is tough and it's almost like Add Maths and I didn't do Add Maths for IGCSE so I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time trying to cope up.

As for Foundation, I know that once I've completed a Foundation course, I'd be able to do my degree right away and that would be easier for me. My teacher told me that why would I want to take the hard route (A-Levels) when there's an easy one (Foundation) but the thing is I want to be able to choose the university I want to go to, and I don't want to be stuck with only one university because for example, my CV would look better if I graduated from London School of Economics and Political Science instead of University West of England right?

Can someone help me out here? Thanks!
Foundation courses are generally more of a top up of knowledge from level 3 qualifications to get you to where you need to be to start the course. For example if your a level grades aren't high enough or you did the wrong subject/qualification. Foundation courses are 1 year long so yes for the first option it will be easier but you're still doing a levels so you might as well try and get in to the standard course and save yourself a year and the additional tuition fees that come with it.

Quick Reply

Latest