The Student Room Group

Foundation

Some universities have been very clear that I would not be considered for an Engineering foundation year if I have studied Maths at Baccalaureate level which seems strange as I feel that I would benefit undertaking a foundation to sharpen my skills and get used to the English way of teaching before I enter my UG Year 1. Both Birmingham and Loughborough have said this but Nottingham is happy to consider me. Any other engineering foundation you would suggest as I am submitting the choices this week.
Reply 1
Original post by Monty2006
Some universities have been very clear that I would not be considered for an Engineering foundation year if I have studied Maths at Baccalaureate level which seems strange as I feel that I would benefit undertaking a foundation to sharpen my skills and get used to the English way of teaching before I enter my UG Year 1. Both Birmingham and Loughborough have said this but Nottingham is happy to consider me. Any other engineering foundation you would suggest as I am submitting the choices this week.

I did a Foundation year for an Engineering degree in the past because I had to, not because I wanted to. I didn't have the necessary A-levels to enter Engineering back then, so I had to go via foundation year route.
It was an absolute waste of my time, and money. I have learn't nothing valuable, it was high school level maths and physics, which I already had a good understanding of and 1st year modules were quite welcoming in the first half anyway so there was nothing I couldn't have googled real quick to help in my studies.

So if I was in your shoes I'd stay away from it if at all possible. And considering you've already had studied Maths at Bachelors level there is definitely no point in going through foundation year if you can get accepted straight into year one.
Reply 2
Original post by ThatguyAl
I did a Foundation year for an Engineering degree in the past because I had to, not because I wanted to. I didn't have the necessary A-levels to enter Engineering back then, so I had to go via foundation year route.
It was an absolute waste of my time, and money. I have learn't nothing valuable, it was high school level maths and physics, which I already had a good understanding of and 1st year modules were quite welcoming in the first half anyway so there was nothing I couldn't have googled real quick to help in my studies.

So if I was in your shoes I'd stay away from it if at all possible. And considering you've already had studied Maths at Bachelors level there is definitely no point in going through foundation year if you can get accepted straight into year one.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. We probably apply for Year 1 Chem Eng and another option for foundation as a safety net.

Quick Reply

Latest