The Student Room Group

What are the best Universities in London for IR?

Except for London School of Economics, they told me they wouldn't accept my access course, so shout out to LSE for a great example they're setting to hard working people who want to help change the world.

All I know is King's College and Queen Mary. Are there any others in London with good reputations?
Reply 1
Original post by mariocasas
Except for London School of Economics, they told me they wouldn't accept my access course, so shout out to LSE for a great example they're setting to hard working people who want to help change the world.

All I know is King's College and Queen Mary. Are there any others in London with good reputations?

Tbf LSE are known for being very tough on qualifications and entry requirements. Tbh you've listed all the good ones really. SOAS if your interested in African and Middle Eastern Studies and don't mind the very left wing atmosphere. That's it really. No need to limit yourself just to London as well.
Reply 2
How strange?

I know of two students at the LSE who got in via the Access route, but in fairness neither was for IR. Both had to sit the entrance exam.

I do believe that as a university they are committed to accept this qualification, the problem is admissions are done on a per department basis, and these tend to look at how well others with a particular qualification have done to see if it is academically rigorous enough. From my own experience, the Access course was a good but not great preparation.

I would also suggest that your academic reference may have had an effect. I was warned by the head of the college not to apply, that the LSE was a tough if not impossible university to get into. This from someone who had attended the LSE as a one year general course student.

Having spoken too many from my Access course, we all feel that colleges are very good at boosting your confidence, but that while you start at your university feeling that you are a giant, you rapidly discover that you are not. For all students (including A Levels), the first year is often spent raising your game to the level required.

With most courses attracting 14 plus applications (and some 19), rejection is what most people experience from the LSE. Having been rejected by a university I did not want to attend, and being hurt by that experience, I can only imagine how that must feel.

I hope that whichever university you attend, you have a great and successful three years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending