The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by oli1395
Thinking of a title for my EPQ, would appreciate any suggestions and tips before starting.

I think a good way to link Football and Economics as part of the extended project is to look at a hot topic in the news. I know that whenever I talk about football, there is a certain inevitability that someone will chip in and say "I think soldiers should be paid more than footballers."
I think it would be great to look at either:
- Should infantry be paid more than footballers?
or
- Do footballer's deserve large salaries?

Or something along those lines.
I think this gives you solid ground to discuss the economy. Given that football is an affluent sport, there is a lot money floating around so why shouldn't footballers be given a lot of that money? Further, the amount of money that is taxed in every aspect of football, from ticket sales, to paying footballers, to the things footballers buy with that money etc.. Conversely, infantry shouldn't be paid a lot, because high salaries within the army promote war and so on.

I hope this helps! Best of luck
Why not try to understand the football market structure? All footballers can be seen as price-differentiated products, or they can be seen as monopolistically competitive. Obviously there is no perfect competition but all the global young raw talent makes the market contestable. No one player has total control of the market, therefore there is no monopoly or oligopoly, but to what extent is all of that true? That's probably what I'd do my EPQ on if I were to do it again and if it were to be done on football and economics.
Reply 3
Something to do with footballers wages and government intervention?

Football clubs financing debts

Football clubs maximising profits - price discrimination

Ticket prices

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You could do the labour market and impact the private sector has on wages/compare it to public sector healthcare wages and the societal benefit each provide.

Great topic btw!
Reply 5
Original post by oli1395
Thinking of a title for my EPQ, would appreciate any suggestions and tips before starting.

Impact of the Economic recession of football clubs

The MSB vs the MSC of football clubs, which one is greater.
Reply 6
Original post by qr95
Something to do with footballers wages and government intervention?

Football clubs financing debts

Football clubs maximising profits - price discrimination

Ticket prices

Posted from TSR Mobile

theres money there uno bro
I hope your still online here. Im doing my epq on whether male footballers in the english premier league deserve their large salaries and am quite stuck. I have separated the topic into two sections. Section 1 being on the economy and the financial side of it, and section 2 is about the societal views on their large salaries. How would you go about this.

Latest