The Student Room Group

What to do in y12 for best shot at Russell group unis later on (economics?)

So I’ve been in y12 for about three weeks and I’m doing maths,fm, economics and history and I got really good gcses and am really interested in both economics and history . I know it’s early on but I feel like this year matters a lot for uni admissions and was wondering what I could do this year in terms of extra curriculars, epq etc to possibly go to a really good uni for economics later on .
I know I’m doing 4 but there’s several topics of economics that I have a massive interest in and I think maybe I could really enjoy an epq? Maths honestly isn’t that bad apart from the homework amount .
Reply 1
By Russell group I mean great unis in general I don’t want to seem like I’m dead set on anything right now it’s just I didn’t really take gcses seriously but did surprisingly well so I wanna do the best I can in a levels.
Original post by Peach_rose34
So I’ve been in y12 for about three weeks and I’m doing maths,fm, economics and history and I got really good gcses and am really interested in both economics and history . I know it’s early on but I feel like this year matters a lot for uni admissions and was wondering what I could do this year in terms of extra curriculars, epq etc to possibly go to a really good uni for economics later on .
I know I’m doing 4 but there’s several topics of economics that I have a massive interest in and I think maybe I could really enjoy an epq? Maths honestly isn’t that bad apart from the homework amount .

1. Keep your grades up
2. Engage in super-curricular activities in your subject.
3. Try to have some practical experience in your subject area
4. Engage in your school activities to get leadership position or valuable experience
5. Visit unis of interests during open days
6. Ask for advice from your school so they can put you on the right track.
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
1. Keep your grades up
2. Engage in super-curricular activities in your subject.
3. Try to have some practical experience in your subject area
4. Engage in your school activities to get leadership position or valuable experience
5. Visit unis of interests during open days
6. Ask for advice from your school so they can put you on the right track.

Thank you. I’ve been reading some books on economics but the only ones I’m unsure about is getting practical experience in subject area or having positions of leadership in school stuff . Nothing at school on offer is remotely related to economics like the music band I take part in but I’m pretty alright at leadership stuff(I have experience teaching basketball as part of d of e). I don’t know if that counts for anything
Thank you. I’ve been reading some books on economics but the only ones I’m unsure about is getting practical experience in subject area or having positions of leadership in school stuff . Nothing at school on offer is remotely related to economics like the music band I take part in but I’m pretty alright at leadership stuff(I have experience teaching basketball as part of d of e). I don’t know if that counts for anything

Practical experience is different to leadership experience. Your experience in Duke of Edinburgh and Music Band are excellent. If you can secure a role as a prefect or a school student leader, that would be good.

For practical experience, you can consider summer jobs or other activities that can help you to understand your subject beyond the classroom. It wont be the end of the world but can be a bonus.
(edited 7 months ago)

Here is a link to super-curricular suggestions: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending