The Student Room Group

Help for American Student

Hello

I plan to apply to some British Unis (Edinburgh, ST. Andrews, KCL, maybe more) this autumn along with some American schools. After doing some research on the UCAS application process, I have come across a few questions:

It seems I only need one reference for each school. Should that be my guidance counselor who is writing for my US schools, or should i use one of my teachers. And should they alter what they write for the US and UK unis?

If I were to get a conditional offer for a degree based on the AP classes I am taking in my last year of high school, would I have to wait until the July after i graduate when i receive my AP scores to decide if I can accept that offer? And could I still accept the unconditional offers i receive if i wait on my AP scores?

Thanks for any help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rumbles_ubamba
Hello

I plan to apply to some British Unis (Edinburgh, ST. Andrews, KCL, maybe more) this autumn along with some American schools. After doing some research on the UCAS application process, I have come across a few questions:

It seems I only need one reference for each school. Should that be my guidance counselor who is writing for my US schools, or should i use one of my teachers. And should they alter what they write for the US and UK unis?

If I were to get a conditional offer for a degree based on the AP classes I am taking in my last year of high school, would I have to wait until the July after i graduate when i receive my AP scores to decide if I can accept that offer? And could I still accept the unconditional offers i receive if i wait on my AP scores?

Thanks for any help
the reference can be written by anyone. i asked my Theory of Knowledge director to write it for me. as long as they know you well enough academically and personally, it can really be anyone. it's usually a school university counsellor or coordinator of some sort though! just make sure you pick someone that likes you! :tongue:

you can accept conditional offers as 'firm' and 'insurance' as soon as you receive them. in fact, you shouldn't wait past May, if i remember correctly. only after you receive your scores in the summer is your place certain, but don't worry about having to wait too long, you'll know more or less where you're headed if you study hard! and good luck x
Reply 2
Hello

Thanks for any help

The one reference could be your guidance counselor, but I personally picked my US history teacher who knew me well and whose class I excelled in. They should alter what they write, as the UCAS reference wants specific things included. Check here to see what should be included and what shouldn't be. They'll have to add in your predicted grades (ie predicted AP results), so they'll have to ask your teachers what you're on track to get.

No you can't even wait until July to pick your firm and insurance, so you'll have to gauge yourself on what kinds of scores you're on track to get. If you get an unconditional, that's great. You could pick a conditional firm and unconditional insurance, so you're guaranteeing yourself a place at uni that year, even if you don't get the grades required.

I went through this as a US applicant a couple years ago (for 2011 entry). If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help. Best of luck! :smile:
If i may ask, how long was your personal statement and what did you stress in it?
If i may ask, how long was your personal statement and what did you stress in it?

For a British student at least, there is a character and line limit, can't remember what it is off the top of my head. If you want to know what to put in it, there are loads of help sites around, and TSR has personal statement helpers.
Also, could i apply earlier to one uni and then apply later to a different one with different SAT scores?
Reply 6
Character limit in your personal statement is 4000, including spaces, and a max of 47 lines.
This might sound a bit odd, but I'd also recommend using UK spelling eg. colour rather than color. If you go to a Uni over here you will need to adjust anyway.
Also, could i apply earlier to one uni and then apply later to a different one with different SAT scores?

anyone know the answer to this?
Reply 8
anyone know the answer to this?
Once you choose a firm and insurance, this is usually final as the university's are giving places to others and are trying to fill their courses. However, there is a process called 'adjustment', in which you can try and get into a 'better' university if your grades were better than expected. There are no guaranteed places though, it depends on the course demand. The opposite process is 'clearing', in which you try and secure a place at university if your two choices rejected you (most likely for not getting the grades.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9

I don't think so, because your UCAS is done in one go, and I'm fairly certain you cannot change any information on it once you've submitted it, unless you've made a mistake about something (you'd call UCAS to fix it). You can, however, add uni choices if you did not originally have 5 on your application. If you retake the SATs after you've sent your app, then perhaps you could let unis that haven't yet made a decision on your application know about your new scores, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to do this, or if they'd necessarily consider the new information.

I think the best thing to do would be to call or email each uni you are interested in, and explain your situation. A look at their page for US students would help as well, as the information could already be on there.
(No offense) I'm kinda confused as to why you would bother applying to universities in the UK if you're looking at the likes of KCL rather than Oxbridge
In terms of the offer thing, most US students I know without unconditional offers also put down a deposit at a US university just in case.

There's a character and line limit, as others have said, and you should aim to get as close to the limit as you can.

In terms of what to stress, a PS is very different to a USA college application essay. You need to stress why you want to study the subject - they don't care about how well rounded you are, and only 20-25% of your PS should be about ECs, and even then, you should be f focusing on those that are relevant to your subject.

Bear in mind that you can only send 1 PS to all 5 unis, so you need to apply to similar courses, and include info that will interest them all (and not name any 1 uni!)

I'd suggest having a look at the TSR wiki to help you understand the UCAS system and what unis want to see.

It's the norm for UK students to apply without having all their grades, so teachers will send in predicted grades alongside grades already achieved, and the unis will use that info to determine whether or not they get a place.

If schooling hasn't been completed then normally an offer that is conditional on achieving certain grades is given. If the grades aren't met then the offer is usually rescinded.

What you'll do is apply to all the unis you want to apply to prior to the January 15th deadline (October 15th for Oxbridge, medicine, dentistry, vet med) with your predicted grades, then get conditional offers, then choose your firm and insurance, and then hope you get the grades you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey, for an american student is the only criteria to go college there; SATS, AP classes and a GPA?
Original post by REASON_Lighters
hey, for an american student is the only criteria to go college there; SATS, AP classes and a GPA?

GPA is of relatively little importance. They're much more worries about standardised test scores, especially APs

However, you also need the ability to pay, a decent PS and a decent reference

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Origami Bullets
GPA is of relatively little importance. They're much more worries about standardised test scores, especially APs

However, you also need the ability to pay, a decent PS and a decent reference

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh right thanks. Provided doing well at AP classes, dyk how many AP classes should be taken to ensue entry into an Ivy League institute?
oh right thanks. Provided doing well at AP classes, dyk how many AP classes should be taken to ensue entry into an Ivy League institute?

There's no such thing as the Ivy League in the UK. The closest equivalent is the Russell Group.

As for how many you need to take, there's no single answer as it well vary from uni to uni and course to course. You'll need to have a look on each website, and if it doesn't say, then you'll need to email your department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
There's no such thing as the Ivy League in the UK. The closest equivalent is the Russell Group.

As for how many you need to take, there's no single answer as it well vary from uni to uni and course to course. You'll need to have a look on each website, and if it doesn't say, then you'll need to email your department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope I meant in the US.
Reply 18
nope I meant in the US.

At my high school, the people who got into Ivies took about 8-9 AP courses. Of course there were some that got in with maybe 3 or 4, as other areas of their application were strong/they offered something else to the university that made them desirable.
Original post by avash27
At my high school, the people who got into Ivies took about 8-9 AP courses. Of course there were some that got in with maybe 3 or 4, as other areas of their application were strong/they offered something else to the university that made them desirable.

Oh right thanks for your reply. Just wondering btw, do you know if the average Harvard/Yale applicant has 8/9 AP levels thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending