The Student Room Group

What do people wear round halls at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-Dog
Why just top and knickers? Why not sweatpants as well when in your room?

I just find clothes quite restrictive, it's more comfortable not to wear trousers so why not if no one can see me anyway.
Most people just wear a t-shirt and trackies (often leggins for girls). Most people are ridiculously casual because it's only halls and it's comfy.
Reply 42
Original post by MissDavies
I just find clothes quite restrictive, it's more comfortable not to wear trousers so why not if no one can see me anyway.

Are you in a shared house or uni halls though?
Original post by A-Dog

I was in halls so had my own bedroom but shared a bathroom and kitchen. Now I live in a studio flat with just my boyfriend so I can wear whatever I want all the time.
Original post by A-Dog

It doesn't matter once you're in your room with the door closed, does it?

One of my housemates for next year mentioned that her boy might be popping to the loo in his boxers (you have to go through the kitchen to get there) and I was like 'not if I'm in the kitchen he won't!'
Reply 45
I was in halls so had my own bedroom but shared a bathroom and kitchen. Now I live in a studio flat with just my boyfriend so I can wear whatever I want all the time.

Can you pay for a studio flat using your student loan?
Original post by A-Dog
Can you pay for a studio flat using your student loan?

Yeah, I go to Kingston University so I get London maintenance loan and it works out to be about £450 a month each including bills. Some landlords don't accept students but it's not too hard to find ones that will.
Reply 47
Yeah, I go to Kingston University so I get London maintenance loan and it works out to be about £450 a month each including bills. Some landlords don't accept students but it's not too hard to find ones that will.

Did you get it off gumtree or through a letting agent, because that is very cheap for a studio
Original post by A-Dog
Did you get it off gumtree or through a letting agent, because that is very cheap for a studio

It's through a letting agent, it's £850-£900 a month between us including bills which is about average since we're not in central London. It's not huge either. It's similar to these ones, which with bills would cost about the same as ours:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-42303185.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-39309199.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27471255.html
Reply 49
It's through a letting agent, it's £850-£900 a month between us including bills which is about average since we're not in central London. It's not huge either. It's similar to these ones, which with bills would cost about the same as ours:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-42303185.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-39309199.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-27471255.html

Ah I see, thanks. Do you have to pay council tax if you rent a flat rather than a normal room in a\ student house?
Reply 50
Original post by RibenaRockstar
It doesn't matter once you're in your room with the door closed, does it?

One of my housemates for next year mentioned that her boy might be popping to the loo in his boxers (you have to go through the kitchen to get there) and I was like 'not if I'm in the kitchen he won't!'

You could have a quickie
Original post by A-Dog
Ah I see, thanks. Do you have to pay council tax if you rent a flat rather than a normal room in a\ student house?

All full time students are exempt from council tax regardless of where they live

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-Dog

Nope, it doesn't matter where you live, as a student you never have to pay council tax. Which is great, I had no idea how expensive it was before!
Reply 53
Original post by A-Dog
Do you have to pay council tax if you rent a flat rather than a normal room in a\ student house?

Not as long as everyone in the flat is a full-time student. If you share with any part-timers or non-students, then you'll pay some level of council tax.

It's the property which attracts the exemption, rather than the individual inhabitants. For the student calculation, the property is only exempt if everyone who lives there is a full-time student.
Last year I wore, one of my boyfriends football or rugby tops whist in my room and when I went to make food or what not, I would put on a pair of shorts! Also I made sure that I was always wearing socks or slippers cause the floor was always dirty!
If I was feeling really rough the next morning after a night out I would also wear a hoody with the good up when I went to the kitchen.
There was times I went to the loo in just my knickers cause I didn't really see the point to putting clothes on to go pee in the middle of the night!
This year coming I'm moving into a house with 3 of my friends and honestly I doubt that my choice of clothing will change!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
People wear literally anything.... some flats at uni we saw guys and girls walk round completely naked.... but its quite rare and never the attractive girls :mad:

Normally people just grab whatever, if we wheren't going out we'd lounge round in sweatpants, pj bottoms, vests, topless (i'm a guy lol) etc....

Reminds me of this guy in my halls actually, I'm quite average looking, not really that build but not really underweight and this really tall lanky guy always used to comment on how un-hairy I was and skinny everytime I used to walk about topless... Weird thing is I'm very adverage in all respects and without being cocky I do fairly well for myself :P

Anyway the amount of looks he got was hilarious seeing he was about 6'5 hairy like a bear and looked like a skeleton, lets just say the amount of times he got shot down by other flatmates was quite funny when he used to say things like that to me.

Anyway moral of the story is, as long as the clothes are fairly clean and don't look ridiculous people don't really care, any nasty people who do normally get a telling off.
Reply 56
Original post by DanB1991
People wear literally anything.... some flats at uni we saw guys and girls walk round completely naked.... but its quite rare and never the attractive girls :mad:

Normally people just grab whatever, if we wheren't going out we'd lounge round in sweatpants, pj bottoms, vests, topless (i'm a guy lol) etc....

Reminds me of this guy in my halls actually, I'm quite average looking, not really that build but not really underweight and this really tall lanky guy always used to comment on how un-hairy I was and skinny everytime I used to walk about topless... Weird thing is I'm very adverage in all respects and without being cocky I do fairly well for myself :P

Anyway the amount of looks he got was hilarious seeing he was about 6'5 hairy like a bear and looked like a skeleton, lets just say the amount of times he got shot down by other flatmates was quite funny when he used to say things like that to me.

Anyway moral of the story is, as long as the clothes are fairly clean and don't look ridiculous people don't really care, any nasty people who do normally get a telling off.

What uni did you go to? :smile:
Generally my flatmates were casual or in pyjamas with a dressing gown or hoodie. I was the same; I only really worried about getting dressed properly if I was going to be out and about the day.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
I made different experiences. There are typical lifestyles for people on different courses, and that includes dress. Business, economics, law, and medical students often dress posh. This can be due to their background (wealthy families) or because they know they'll have to dress nice for the rest of their professional lifes. Also, you're perceived differently (read: preferred) at uni if you dress well. Students of social sciences or humanities dress much more casual (or like bums, as I prefer to put it). Engineers are somewhere in between, but usually not very fashionable.

Economics is a social science. Idiot.
Reply 59
I'm taking my onesie and don't care what anybody thinks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending