The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science chat

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, which do you think is the better place to work as an actuary, the UK or Australia?. I've received offers from both Macquarie Uni (Aus) and Southampton Uni. I'm not sure which one to go to. Could someone please help me out? :s-smilie:
Hi guys

I am undecided as to whether to study at the University of Leicester this year or retake my exams and apply for MMORSE at the University of Warwick next year (both cover the Actuarial exams CT1-CT8). Currently, I am due to start at the Uni of Leicester this September and I got into the Uni through Clearing.

I am worried that studying 'Mathematics and Actuarial Science' at the Uni of Leicester will severely lower my job prospects since it is not a Russell Group Uni (especially when I am looking to work in the competitive industry of an Actuary or work in Finance(Investment/Business)).

Whereas, I feel that going to Warwick will vastly improve my job prospects as it is a russell group uni, higher in the league table and, in general, more prestigious. I feel Warwick will give me a much better chance as to getting into one of the Big 4 Financial firms i.e. KPMG. Also, I think I will benefit from making friends with brighter students as more straight-A students go to Warwick. Maybe, the gap year in order to get to Warwick will will mature me as a person and I could perhaps get a job in the meantime whilst I retake my exams.

However, the grade requirements for MMORSE at Warwick is A*A*A*(including Maths). I achieved an A* in ICT, B in Maths, B in Economics and C in Chemistry. I realised I overloaded myself by doing Chemistry as an extra A-Level which is why I feel that I could achieve an A* in Maths and A*/A in Eco if I retook the exams. Although, I may not even achieve these grades next year and it could end up being a year wasted.

What if going to Leicester will put me at the bottom of the pile since there will be so many other candidates for jobs from better uni and this will result in me getting lower than expected salaries and less job offers? Or am I just over-reacting?

I'm not sure which to go with: Leicester this year or Warwick next year(that's even if i get in!)
Could someone please help me out? Does uni really make a big difference to my future job prospects and future salary?
(Please reply asap because Im meant to be starting the uni of leicester next week)
Original post by lfc1234
Hi guys

I am undecided as to whether to study at the University of Leicester this year or retake my exams and apply for MMORSE at the University of Warwick next year (both cover the Actuarial exams CT1-CT8). Currently, I am due to start at the Uni of Leicester this September and I got into the Uni through Clearing.

I am worried that studying 'Mathematics and Actuarial Science' at the Uni of Leicester will severely lower my job prospects since it is not a Russell Group Uni (especially when I am looking to work in the competitive industry of an Actuary or work in Finance(Investment/Business)).

Whereas, I feel that going to Warwick will vastly improve my job prospects as it is a russell group uni, higher in the league table and, in general, more prestigious. I feel Warwick will give me a much better chance as to getting into one of the Big 4 Financial firms i.e. KPMG. Also, I think I will benefit from making friends with brighter students as more straight-A students go to Warwick. Maybe, the gap year in order to get to Warwick will will mature me as a person and I could perhaps get a job in the meantime whilst I retake my exams.

However, the grade requirements for MMORSE at Warwick is A*A*A*(including Maths). I achieved an A* in ICT, B in Maths, B in Economics and C in Chemistry. I realised I overloaded myself by doing Chemistry as an extra A-Level which is why I feel that I could achieve an A* in Maths and A*/A in Eco if I retook the exams. Although, I may not even achieve these grades next year and it could end up being a year wasted.

What if going to Leicester will put me at the bottom of the pile since there will be so many other candidates for jobs from better uni and this will result in me getting lower than expected salaries and less job offers? Or am I just over-reacting?

I'm not sure which to go with: Leicester this year or Warwick next year(that's even if i get in!)
Could someone please help me out? Does uni really make a big difference to my future job prospects and future salary?
(Please reply asap because Im meant to be starting the uni of leicester next week)

I studied maths and actuarial science at university of Leicester and I can tell you that you won't be at the bottom of the pile lol. The lecturers there are actuaries and have many years of experience at the top 4 firms. I'm currently working as an actuarial analyst and I didn't find it difficult to find a job at all so I wouldn't worry about job prospects. A lot of people I went to uni with are all working within the actuarial field.

At the end of the day you just need to achieve well at whichever university you choose (if you choose one) and build up your CV. Your CV is what gets you an interview and it's you as a person which gets you the rest.

For most actuarial firms they do require at a minimum 2:1 so I can imagine it would be quite difficult to get in to the field without studying at uni.

Hope that helps
Hi guys, what do you think about a masters degree in Actuarial Science at the University of Lisbon? I'm considering this university because of the price and quality of life in Lisbon. Also, it's accredited by IFOA and so I can have exemptions.I'm Brazilian and I don't know nothing about education in Portugal (actually in Europe) and I'd like some advices from you.
Reply 284
Hi, I am in year 12 and currently writing my personal statement. I am applying for actuarial science at LSE, maths and actuarial science at Manchester, Leicester and Southampton and MMORSE at Warwick. Do you have any tips for my personal statement which would help with warwick in particular?
Original post by Mr_Muffin_Man
I studied maths and actuarial science at university of Leicester and I can tell you that you won't be at the bottom of the pile lol. The lecturers there are actuaries and have many years of experience at the top 4 firms. I'm currently working as an actuarial analyst and I didn't find it difficult to find a job at all so I wouldn't worry about job prospects. A lot of people I went to uni with are all working within the actuarial field.

At the end of the day you just need to achieve well at whichever university you choose (if you choose one) and build up your CV. Your CV is what gets you an interview and it's you as a person which gets you the rest.

For most actuarial firms they do require at a minimum 2:1 so I can imagine it would be quite difficult to get in to the field without studying at uni.

Hope that helps

thank you! I've been worried about how hard it would be to get a jpb after doing actuarial science at university. I know this may sound dumb but where else (apart from an actuarial firm) can you get a job as an actuary or actuarial analyst?
Hi everyone! Please kindly help me in deciding my uni for Actuarial Science : Cass/Southampton?
Many thanks!! :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5869458

Quick Reply

Latest