The Student Room Group

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by BlueSheep32
We saw each other pretty much every day during term time in first year, so I even found the transition to just seeing each other every other day because we lived further apart & had more work to do difficult and we argued a lot then too. I think (I hope) he appreciates seeing me more now that it's not every day though. It's definitely made me more appreciative. Does he live in the place where you went to uni?

Thank you, I still have the odd bad day but I'm definitely much better than I was :smile: I think that was what I was doing when I was really depressed and anxious, and it might even have made that worse to be honest. He still makes me happier than anything else can, but I've realised that I can still find happiness in other things too. Of course if I do feel down or anxious I miss him more because I just want him to be physically there to comfort me but that's not practically all of the time like it was before. I definitely get edgy if I don't know for sure when I'm next going to see him though, I really hate uncertainty.

Yeah, he'll be graduating from his undergrad degree and he's not sure if he wants to do further study at the minute, because he's a bit fed up of it (which I can totally understand haha). Even if he does, he might not stay at the uni we're at now. I've talked to him about it and he says at the minute he really doesn't know what he's going to do yet but he wants us to stay together whatever happens. We've discussed the possibility of living together after uni and have both said it's something we'd be perfectly happy to do, but we haven't made any definite plans yet because you never know what's going to happen.

Awww, that's really sweet! Congratulations in advance then :smile: I haven't even thought about marriage apart from in a "maybe in the future if we stay together and it's the right time for it to happen" kind of way, I don't think my boyfriend has at all. It is my first ever relationship and his first 'proper' relationship though so a lot of this is new to both of us. Sometimes I do feel a bit worried purely because everyone always says that first relationships are never forever because you don't know what it's like to be with anyone else, and I'm not naïve enough to be sure that this is it because I've seen plenty of people think that about their relationships only for them to end and the person to be absolutely devastated, but if I carry on feeling the way I do then I wouldn't mind if this one was the only relationship I'm ever going to have.

Yeah, I understand it must have been difficult! Definitely, I'm more appreciative now of the time my boyfriend and I have together too. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder! I think once you get over that initial sadness at being apart you can learn to just focus on the times you will be seeing each other and be more even more grateful for the love of that person if you're only seeing them once/twice/however many times a month. Yeah he does, well basically anyway, he lives a couple of towns away about 20 mins by bus but his job is in the town where I live/go to uni which is a bonus!r

I'm glad to hear that! I can relate to that so much. Having him being my main source of happiness has meant that whenever I'm down it feels as though only he can get me through it. Sometimes him being on the end of the phone is enough, but more often than not it feels like I need him by my side to be ok again. But I'm learning that I can't have that view to function properly and that life is such that he won't always be by my side when I feel I need him no matter whether we're miles away from each other like now or whether we're living together in the future, because he may be at work, with friends or something like that. So at least now we're learning to be able to cope without them because they may not always be able to be here all the time when we're sad!

Ahh I see. Yeah I get it, I'm graduating next year and I've no idea what the future holds. I just know that he's in it, really! It's great he's told you he wants to stay together whatever happens though, that's really sweet and must make you confident that no matter what he decides the two of you will be ok. Living together would be awesome :biggrin: Yeah you just never know! My boyfriend and I have decided we're gonna do that when I graduate, it's just up to me to find a part-time job to save my half of the deposit on the flat. He's said he will fund our living there whilst I find my feet trying to get a job as a graduate but hopefully I'll still have some sort of job at this point while I'm looking for a career so won't have to rely on him too much. I just can't bear the thought of graduating, running out of my last student loan and having to return home and go on job seekers or whatever because then I just don't know when I'd be able to get back up north again! (Home is in the midlands for me). So yeah this is the plan anyway, whether or not it works is another thing entirely because as you said you never know what's going to happen!

Thank you very much :biggrin: Yeah I get that, I was like that as well to be honest. I didn't think about marriage at all really. I am my boyfriends first serious girlfriend, but it just so happens that his best friend (who's the same age as him) got married last year, so I suppose for him it's more of an option to think about actually doing himself rather than someone who perhaps hasn't had that experience, if you get what I mean? We also went to one of his other friends weddings (also his age) in July so again it made the option all the more real to us I guess!
Yeah that's a valid point, a lot of people do say first relationships don't last, however you do hear lovely stories of old couples who have been together since they were teens/young adults who you assume were each others first serious boyfriend/girlfriend so it can work I guess! I personally think it's just a case of if it's right for you it will work out even if you have blips along the way but if not you may be devastated but time will heal the wounds and you will then find the right person. I've been in love before and jadedly thought he was it, only to realise a couple of years down the line how completely and utterly wrong and ridiculous I was about him and now being with the person who I'm certain is the one.
Reply 181
September starts my first year at uni, I'm going to Edinburgh and my boyfriend is going to Glasgow. We've been together for 2 years. The reason I'm asking advice is because originally when I got my offers in it was between Edinburgh Uni and a not-so-prestigious uni near Glasgow. For a long time I was considering the uni near home but I just couldn't pass up Edinburgh. At first he said that if I go to Edinburgh then we would stop going out, and then he said that if I moved instead of travelling 3hrs each way then we'd stop going out. Finally I managed to get him to a place where he says if it works out then it works out. I move on the 7th of September and I'm worried that I'm doing the right thing. I don't want my uni experience to be ruined by missing out on things if I go home at the weekends to see him but I love him and I honestly wouldn't know how to function without him. Would it be better for us to call it quits now or just wait and see what happens?
Reply 182
Original post by emb006
September starts my first year at uni, I'm going to Edinburgh and my boyfriend is going to Glasgow. We've been together for 2 years. The reason I'm asking advice is because originally when I got my offers in it was between Edinburgh Uni and a not-so-prestigious uni near Glasgow. For a long time I was considering the uni near home but I just couldn't pass up Edinburgh. At first he said that if I go to Edinburgh then we would stop going out, and then he said that if I moved instead of travelling 3hrs each way then we'd stop going out. Finally I managed to get him to a place where he says if it works out then it works out. I move on the 7th of September and I'm worried that I'm doing the right thing. I don't want my uni experience to be ruined by missing out on things if I go home at the weekends to see him but I love him and I honestly wouldn't know how to function without him. Would it be better for us to call it quits now or just wait and see what happens?

You should just wait and see. Soon after freshers winds down and you are in a routine you will see how it all fits. Don't feel sorry for one second for choosing what you have. This is your time in life to be selfish. If it doesn't work out then of course you will be sad but you will never regret the choice you made in Uni. I hope it works out for you either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Hello and welcome to the LDR society advice centre, mark II!

500 pages and 10,000 posts have been reached in the original thread - that's a lot of people who have been given advice about their LDR (or a potential one). It's time to start afresh!

If you are in an LDR or will be in the future and want to talk about it, feel free to post here and we'll do our best to give you advice on any problems or issues that you want to discuss.

If you just feel like an un-LDR related chat, you can come to the LDR Society chat thread which is located here

Welcome once again and enjoy the thread - this is open to all :smile:

TNP

Hi there,

I'm pretty much in the same situation as everyone else here, and I haven't a clue what to do!
I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 3 years, and it feels like forever. We met in high school, and we ended up going to different colleges. He has applied for an apprenticeship and he will end up living away in Coventry, and hopefully I will be away at University somewhere. The distance and our work load is going to be dreadful and I don't know how we are going to cope. We have separated once before because of the pressure of the distance, and i'm scared it'll happen again. I really can't live without him, and I just don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? :frown:
Original post by Emma_Jane95
Hi there,

I'm pretty much in the same situation as everyone else here, and I haven't a clue what to do!
I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 3 years, and it feels like forever. We met in high school, and we ended up going to different colleges. He has applied for an apprenticeship and he will end up living away in Coventry, and hopefully I will be away at University somewhere. The distance and our work load is going to be dreadful and I don't know how we are going to cope. We have separated once before because of the pressure of the distance, and i'm scared it'll happen again. I really can't live without him, and I just don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? :frown:

Just give it a try and if it's meant to be, it'll work out for you. All the advice I can offer is to plan how many times/when you'll be able to visit each other (the uncertainty of not knowing makes it much harder to cope in my experience) and communicate well (phone calls once or twice a week, skype once a week and a small text conversation every two days is my ideal). Look into the cheapest ways to travel to see each other (get a National Express Coachcard or a National Rail card) and make the most of the time you've got together now.
Booking my first holiday with my boyfriend on Tuesday for just after our third anniversary in April :biggrin:

Who said distance doesn't work? :smile:
Reply 186
I need some advice/reassurance..

I am currently in a LDR with my boyfriend of 7 months and we live 5 hours apart (in terms of time differences). He's been going out every other day with his best friend and best friend's girlfriend. A month ago, best friend's girlfriend's friend (okay I know it's confusing but bear with me) started joining them so it became a 4 man group. I was fine with him going out with them. According to him, the friend of the girlfriend might like him and I would jokingly tease him that he can leave me for her if he wants to and he reassures me that he won't cheat on me.

We had a massive argument yesterday nearly resulting in us breaking up. We are fine now but when I was talking to him this morning, he mentioned that the friend called him yesterday when I went to bed (I'm 5 hours ahead) and asks if everything's alright. I might be a little paranoid here but if someone, especially a girl calls you on the same day asking if you're alright after a major argument, she is up to something isn't it? What made me more suspicious is that he's going out with that same group of friends again the next day, so if she wants to know if he's alright, she could have just ask him the very next day (today).

He keeps reassuring me that he won't cheat on me and he loves me but I still can't help being jealous coz he sees her every other day while I've not seen him in months. Apparently she is always extra nice to him but he thinks that she is just being courteous.

Also, when we had our argument yesterday, he was out with his friends so they knew we were fighting. His friends said to him that I'm trying to control him by buying him stuff (I bought him a gaming mouse and t-shirts). That really hurt me because the reason why I bought those for him is because I think of him all the time and when I go out and see something I know he'll like I buy it for him. As for the gaming mouse, it is much cheaper to buy it here in Asia compared to Britain (about £10 cheaper). His friends hate me now because they think I'm a controlling shallow bitch when everything I did for him was out of love.

I know we made up now, but what he said yesterday still hurts. I do admit I have quite a temper and I can get offended quite easily by simple things but I am really hurt that he thinks I'm trying to blackmail him by buying him stuff. I am trying to change by being less jealous/possessive. He is my first ever relationship and I just got too attached to him...
Reply 187
I'm seriously unhappy with relationship and after some thought I realize I have been for the better part of a year. Don't know what to do as I'm meant to be moving and starting Uni in less than a month in same city as him. Please help!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smorga30
I'm seriously unhappy with relationship and after some thought I realize I have been for the better part of a year. Don't know what to do as I'm meant to be moving and starting Uni in less than a month in same city as him. Please help!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well admitting this is the first step. You've just got to pinpoint exactly why you're unhappy and if that reason can be fixed.
I just wanted to say that after a year and a half of living 3 hours away from each other and weekends spent travelling up and down the M6 to see each other my boyfriend and I have just moved into a great apartment together and are happier than ever. LDRs are bloody hard work but it's worth it, they do have happy endings.
Original post by Vanadesse
I just wanted to say that after a year and a half of living 3 hours away from each other and weekends spent travelling up and down the M6 to see each other my boyfriend and I have just moved into a great apartment together and are happier than ever. LDRs are bloody hard work but it's worth it, they do have happy endings.

Stories like this make me so hopeful for the future :') I'm more than glad that everything has worked out for you and that you've ended the distance, best of luck for your future with your boyfriend!
Original post by Akiraryuu

I am currently in a LDR with my boyfriend of 7 months and we live 5 hours apart (in terms of time differences). He's been going out every other day with his best friend and best friend's girlfriend. A month ago, best friend's girlfriend's friend (okay I know it's confusing but bear with me) started joining them so it became a 4 man group. I was fine with him going out with them. According to him, the friend of the girlfriend might like him and I would jokingly tease him that he can leave me for her if he wants to and he reassures me that he won't cheat on me.

We had a massive argument yesterday nearly resulting in us breaking up. We are fine now but when I was talking to him this morning, he mentioned that the friend called him yesterday when I went to bed (I'm 5 hours ahead) and asks if everything's alright. I might be a little paranoid here but if someone, especially a girl calls you on the same day asking if you're alright after a major argument, she is up to something isn't it? What made me more suspicious is that he's going out with that same group of friends again the next day, so if she wants to know if he's alright, she could have just ask him the very next day (today).

He keeps reassuring me that he won't cheat on me and he loves me but I still can't help being jealous coz he sees her every other day while I've not seen him in months. Apparently she is always extra nice to him but he thinks that she is just being courteous.

Also, when we had our argument yesterday, he was out with his friends so they knew we were fighting. His friends said to him that I'm trying to control him by buying him stuff (I bought him a gaming mouse and t-shirts). That really hurt me because the reason why I bought those for him is because I think of him all the time and when I go out and see something I know he'll like I buy it for him. As for the gaming mouse, it is much cheaper to buy it here in Asia compared to Britain (about £10 cheaper). His friends hate me now because they think I'm a controlling shallow bitch when everything I did for him was out of love.

I know we made up now, but what he said yesterday still hurts. I do admit I have quite a temper and I can get offended quite easily by simple things but I am really hurt that he thinks I'm trying to blackmail him by buying him stuff. I am trying to change by being less jealous/possessive. He is my first ever relationship and I just got too attached to him...

I think you just need to appreciate that a relationship is between 2 people. Not 2 people and some of their friends as is so often the case.

You really can largely ignore every nice girl he will meet and almost everything his friends may or may not say. What matters is that you can trust him to be honest and faithful, and that you are both in love. There is no need to drive yourself insane over everything that may or may not happen to him.

So long as he knows the reason for your presents, he knows your thoughts on this and he knows that cheating would be wrong then you have done almost everything you can. If he decides to act against your wishes or your intentions - then that is his shortcoming and not yours (and you can say good riddance) to someone who is not deserving of you. But open communication is crucial so that you always give the relationship its best chance.

Another piece of advice is maybe to just come very clean and be empathetic about his position. Explain to him that you understand that it is a tough position to have your friends and your girlfriend on opposite sides with him caught in-between. Likewise you are glad that although LDRs are difficult that he is doing his best. Most of the time positive encouragement and a sense of camaraderie (being in this tough position together) can help to bring out the best in the relationship.

The thing about the friend is, there's really little you can do about the jealously (which is pretty natural when she sees him so much more than you!) Just keep in regular contact so you feel involved in his life. Also, the controlling comments are from his friends, not him, so just ignore that altogether - he doesn't think it!
Reply 193

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's such a horrible realisation :frown: what exactly are you unhappy with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by Llewellyn
I think you just need to appreciate that a relationship is between 2 people. Not 2 people and some of their friends as is so often the case.

You really can largely ignore every nice girl he will meet and almost everything his friends may or may not say. What matters is that you can trust him to be honest and faithful, and that you are both in love. There is no need to drive yourself insane over everything that may or may not happen to him.

So long as he knows the reason for your presents, he knows your thoughts on this and he knows that cheating would be wrong then you have done almost everything you can. If he decides to act against your wishes or your intentions - then that is his shortcoming and not yours (and you can say good riddance) to someone who is not deserving of you. But open communication is crucial so that you always give the relationship its best chance.

Another piece of advice is maybe to just come very clean and be empathetic about his position. Explain to him that you understand that it is a tough position to have your friends and your girlfriend on opposite sides with him caught in-between. Likewise you are glad that although LDRs are difficult that he is doing his best. Most of the time positive encouragement and a sense of camaraderie (being in this tough position together) can help to bring out the best in the relationship.

Thanks! Your advice helped a lot. I just don't like knowing the fact that people hate me, I know that having people disliking you is inevitable in life, but I always try my best to have people at least apathetic to me. So I find it quite distressing that his friends hate me. Well I guess I can't help it and I'll do my best to ignore what his friends say about me.

Original post by joker12345
The thing about the friend is, there's really little you can do about the jealously (which is pretty natural when she sees him so much more than you!) Just keep in regular contact so you feel involved in his life. Also, the controlling comments are from his friends, not him, so just ignore that altogether - he doesn't think it!

Yeah. We talk everyday on skype but talking through a screen and talking face-to-face is just two different things. Best part is while I was browsing fb her name popped up on the list of 'People you may know' and my boyfriend purposely added her just to agitate me. :/
(edited 10 years ago)
I think I'm going to be living on this thread soon :P I'm about to enter into a LDR with my boyfriend and I'm absolutely petrified! He doesn't seem as worried about it though and just says we'll be fine.

He was in a LDR before and cheated on the girl. Even though he felt awful about it, he admitted that the distance made it easy.
Reply 196
Original post by LRodel
That's such a horrible realisation :frown: what exactly are you unhappy with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like he never ever ever ever EVER listens! No matter how many times I clear something up I am always repeating myself. Also, I don't like how insecure he is in decisions etc, that I end up having to carry all of the weight in the relationship. Then because of this he says I am too bossy. WTF!!!! I feel like its always about him, when I am angry with him I end up having to console him bc he is upset that I am angry. Is this all just immaturity???
Reply 197
I feel like its always about him, when I am angry with him I end up having to console him bc he is upset that I am angry. Is this all just immaturity???

It's the same with mine. Whenever I get angry or upset with him he always manage to turn things around and make it seem like it's my fault for throwing a temper tantrum and in the end I have to apologise. I think men just like to think that they're always right. I find the best way to get your frustrations to him is by telling him calmly even if you're angry. When you get angry, they just think you're throwing a hissy fit over small matters - well at least mine does.
Reply 198
It's the same with mine. Whenever I get angry or upset with him he always manage to turn things around and make it seem like it's my fault for throwing a temper tantrum and in the end I have to apologise. I think men just like to think that they're always right. I find the best way to get your frustrations to him is by telling him calmly even if you're angry. When you get angry, they just think you're throwing a hissy fit over small matters - well at least mine does.

I think you're right. Mines always saying shouting will get me nowhere and I should be calm even when I'm angry. Wait, what???? So there are rules to being angry? I'm so fed up with it tbh. Why should I have to be sorry for being upset at something he has done to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
I think you're right. Mines always saying shouting will get me nowhere and I should be calm even when I'm angry. Wait, what???? So there are rules to being angry? I'm so fed up with it tbh. Why should I have to be sorry for being upset at something he has done to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ladies, I want to join the club! Recently I came to the realization that when I scream at him, he doesn't take it seriously and thinks I am e pouting and moaning for no reason or even worse - playing some kind of mind games.
There has been so much tension between my guy and I lately that sometimes I feel as if we are walking on eggshells. Some of our skype nights are great, some are a huge disaster. He has a big job interview tomorrow morning and is obviously pretty stressed out. I understand him because he has been without a job for a few month and this is affecting on his whole attitude towards our relationship. Anyways, we talked around an hour ago and I felt the need to both scream and cry. Seriously, it is so hard. We have been in a LDR for 1 year and a half but nowadays it's much harder. Thankfully, I am finally moving to Britain for uni and if he gets this job, we will be both living not only in the same country but the same town!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending