The Student Room Group

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by connorja
Train would possibly be the likely choice as it'll be quicker. Not every weekend but when possible, week with her, week not. It's early doors so it may be worth cutting all ties. It's hard graft in with uni, and work to make enough money!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems more doable. Well, why a dont you just see how it goes. Look for cheap fares and book the earliest you can and see if you still want to be with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 381
I agree, no judgements yet! Would be cruel to decide if she wasn't with me at the time! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I remember reading on moneysavingexpert when I was looking at ways to cut costs of train fares that some times Scotrail do special offers on London to Edinburgh trains, so I suggest looking into this if you haven't already. I hope you have a great time this weekend :smile:

Hiya, I've just seen him off back home now, but yeah he had a lovely time, thanks :smile:. It's a bit of a shame that not only did the coach delay his arrival by 4 hours (so we only got exactly 24 hours together), but it also made him so tired that he slept half the time he was here. Ah well, it was lovely spending time with him all the same, but we've had a talk now about how we're definitely gonna have to eventually stop with the coaches and start planning our weekends in advance to travel by plane or train.

I've just had a look at that ScotRail website and searched what tickets would cost in 6 weeks time, and they all seem to be about £80+ (that's with a 16-25 railcard), which seems a bit much to me as I thought they would be lower. Then again, I'm also struggling to find cheaper plane tickets too; I used to sometimes see £50 return tickets on Skyscanner, although maybe they just pop up every now and then and you have to be lucky to catch them. Do you know if Scotsrail has a newsletter that I can subscribe to or some other way I can easily find out about their special offers?
Reply 383
Original post by pinkbullets
The bit I put in bold makes it sound like he does want to make it work to me. Maybe he's frightened that you will forget about him once you get to the UK and that's why he's putting off buying the plane ticket. That is also one of the possible reasons why he's saying you'll "get over" being away from him quick enough. Perhaps he is feeling insecure? My boyfriend does that kind of thing regularly and I find that giving him a bit of reassurance about how happy he makes me etc goes a long way to solving the issues.

He must have known I was worried cause he actually called shortly after I posted that. He has been on a boys trip all week so we haven't talked much. I mentioned that I move in two weeks and he said he didn't want to think about it. I asked him if he was still coming in December. He said "of course, why wouldn't I?"

Without going into detail I did say I was worried he had changed his mind. He said there is no way he would. He said that the only reason it is taking so long to buy his ticket is because he is trying to see if he can afford 4 weeks instead of 3. :smile: Made me feel sooo much better. Feeling confident again. Now just need to make sure I make him confident too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beccaf87
He must have known I was worried cause he actually called shortly after I posted that. He has been on a boys trip all week so we haven't talked much. I mentioned that I move in two weeks and he said he didn't want to think about it. I asked him if he was still coming in December. He said "of course, why wouldn't I?"

Without going into detail I did say I was worried he had changed his mind. He said there is no way he would. He said that the only reason it is taking so long to buy his ticket is because he is trying to see if he can afford 4 weeks instead of 3. :smile: Made me feel sooo much better. Feeling confident again. Now just need to make sure I make him confident too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw, that's really good. It sounds like you've got a guy there :smile:.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Hiya, I've just seen him off back home now, but yeah he had a lovely time, thanks :smile:. It's a bit of a shame that not only did the coach delay his arrival by 4 hours (so we only got exactly 24 hours together), but it also made him so tired that he slept half the time he was here. Ah well, it was lovely spending time with him all the same, but we've had a talk now about how we're definitely gonna have to eventually stop with the coaches and start planning our weekends in advance to travel by plane or train.

I've just had a look at that ScotRail website and searched what tickets would cost in 6 weeks time, and they all seem to be about £80+ (that's with a 16-25 railcard), which seems a bit much to me as I thought they would be lower. Then again, I'm also struggling to find cheaper plane tickets too; I used to sometimes see £50 return tickets on Skyscanner, although maybe they just pop up every now and then and you have to be lucky to catch them. Do you know if Scotsrail has a newsletter that I can subscribe to or some other way I can easily find out about their special offers?

Yeah you can register with them to find out their special offers.
Reply 386
Hi, I've been with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years now, he is a year older than me so is starting university in a few weeks and I am starting year 13, any advice on how I can get through life at home while he is out partying all the time- this is our first time doing long distance and i'm really scared how it will feel!
Original post by nome96
Hi, I've been with my boyfriend for 2 and a half years now, he is a year older than me so is starting university in a few weeks and I am starting year 13, any advice on how I can get through life at home while he is out partying all the time- this is our first time doing long distance and i'm really scared how it will feel!

I think you've got to understand that you probably won't get to talk to him much over the first few weeks because he'll be busy and trying to settle in. Give him space, maybe have a short phone conversation every few days and once he's settled in things will just start getting into a pattern for you two.

Try not to dwell on the fact that he's out partying all of the time and keep busy with your friends and schoolwork. I think you've just got to take the attitude of it's meant to be, it will all work out for you and your boy.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah you can register with them to find out their special offers.

Where's the link to register with them? I'm looking all over their website but I can't find it :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Where's the link to register with them? I'm looking all over their website but I can't find it :colondollar:

Yeah that's it

https://tickets.scotrail.co.uk/sr/en/account/register

Hey yeah, I think what I'd posted earlier was the wrong link so I removed it, sorry about any confusion, but thanks for sending me the right one :yep:

Anyway, good news is, I've just had a look on the National Rail website and managed to find a London-Edinburgh return ticket for ~£55 in 6 weeks time - not bad at all. Is that as cheap as they can get? The outward journey does arrive at midnight, but hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a bother to him or his parents for me to arrive at their house at that time. Still costs ~£20 more than the coach, but I hope it'd be worth it if it cuts the journey time in half and wouldn't make me as tired as the coach does.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there everyone. My ex and I were together for 2 and a half years. When it was good, it was incredible but when we had bad times, they were horrendous. So many negative things happened and were said during and after the break up and we've now been split up for a few months. We've still kept speaking as to be honest, we want to be together but deep down know it probably wouldnt work. I am off to uni in Bristol in 7 days and he's off to Oxford Brookes in 2 weeks. The distance isn't awful, but still makes it difficult for us to probably see eachother any more than 2 times a month. We have a turbulent relationship and a lot of problems but we love eachother so much and both of us want to be together. I don't know whether or not to call it a day, stop whatever it is that's going on between us and use this last week at home to my advantage as I am surrounded by family and friends to help me move on and then the fresh start that uni brings, or do I give us another go and then I will never wonder 'what if?'. I heard a saying the other day, ' it's the things in life you didn't do that you regret, not the things you did'. So perhaps, I should give it another go? I am so confused. One moment im convinced it would work LD and then the next im totally against it. I need some advice please!!!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
My boyfriend's gone on holiday today in Europe which means little/no skype for 10 days :frown: Hard enough being almost 6000 miles away, add an extra 2000 and no contact and it becomes doubly hard considering we usually skype daily. Trying to focus on work this week but I don't have many hours so need to find something to do in my free time.
Reply 394
Hey yeah, I think what I'd posted earlier was the wrong link so I removed it, sorry about any confusion, but thanks for sending me the right one :yep:

Anyway, good news is, I've just had a look on the National Rail website and managed to find a London-Edinburgh return ticket for ~£55 in 6 weeks time - not bad at all. Is that as cheap as they can get? The outward journey does arrive at midnight, but hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a bother to him or his parents for me to arrive at their house at that time. Still costs ~£20 more than the coach, but I hope it'd be worth it if it cuts the journey time in half and wouldn't make me as tired as the coach does.

Did you check trainline? There rates are cheaper than the national rail site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Libertyrose95
Hi there everyone. My ex and I were together for 2 and a half years. When it was good, it was incredible but when we had bad times, they were horrendous. So many negative things happened and were said during and after the break up and we've now been split up for a few months. We've still kept speaking as to be honest, we want to be together but deep down know it probably wouldnt work. I am off to uni in Bristol in 7 days and he's off to Oxford Brookes in 2 weeks. The distance isn't awful, but still makes it difficult for us to probably see eachother any more than 2 times a month. We have a turbulent relationship and a lot of problems but we love eachother so much and both of us want to be together. I don't know whether or not to call it a day, stop whatever it is that's going on between us and use this last week at home to my advantage as I am surrounded by family and friends to help me move on and then the fresh start that uni brings, or do I give us another go and then I will never wonder 'what if?'. I heard a saying the other day, ' it's the things in life you didn't do that you regret, not the things you did'. So perhaps, I should give it another go? I am so confused. One moment im convinced it would work LD and then the next im totally against it. I need some advice please!!!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, maybe having being in two separate cities make your relationship stronger? You will value your time together more when you don't see each other too often. If you really love each other and trust each other, it's definitely worth another shot.

I completely agree with that saying, and here's another one for you: "distance makes the heart grow fonder"!
Reply 396
Small update, he's had to go down early so he left today :frown: and I didn't get to see him off :frown: it suddenly just got very very real :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397
Original post by K_*
Small update, he's had to go down early so he left today :frown: and I didn't get to see him off :frown: it suddenly just got very very real :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait what? Why wouldn't he tell you he was going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 398
Original post by smorga30
Wait what? Why wouldn't he tell you he was going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He didnt know his parents just said ' yeah tomorrow's the only day we can take you and your stuff down'

:frown: it just got real and I'm scared

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
Original post by K_*
He didnt know his parents just said ' yeah tomorrow's the only day we can take you and your stuff down'

:frown: it just got real and I'm scared

Posted from TSR Mobile

So when will you see him again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending