The Student Room Group

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
My boyfriend and I did long distance between the UK and US for three months and it is difficult. Like the time difference makes communication more strained but my situation was quite unique as I had access to a phone so I could call him and I could email but I couldn't skype or text or anything else! So out of the whole 3 months we skyped once. And then when I called him it would be like 6 am in the morning for me but like lunch time for him so he could be out doing things and busy etc. If you are really determined and you both know what the end outcome is and agree on it then it isn't that bad. It's difficult not holding hands and being with each other physically, but if you are both dedicated then it's worth it cause you know its not forever! How long is the placement for?
Original post by rachelalice16
guys im so worried and upset. My boyfriend has finally got his placement in calafornia, which means i wont be seeing him for up to 4 months at a time, and the time difference is huge (i'm in the UK- which is 8 hours ahead)

Any advice?

Sorry the message above was a reply to you!
Hey guys,

So I've just finished my first term of uni after taking a gap year and I just wanted to know if any of you had doubts about university or your course or anything? Im studying a subject I took at school and absolutely adored. I used to work really hard for it and really dedicate myself to it but I just don't have the enthusiasm anymore. I mean I love seeing my boyfriend and I actually really enjoy my job as a waitress and I am quite enthusiastic and dedicated to both but when it comes to uni I just don't have that. And obviously being at uni makes me long distance with my man which I which wasn't the case and I don't know whether I'm just not that into it because its the reason I'm not with him or if it actually the course or university I'm not sure of. Just wondering if this is common for first year or any suggestions/thoughts?!

Thanks guys, my head is a mess right now
I just want some opinions/ advice/ something! I don't know what i want. I was in a relationship for a year with a guy in australia while i'm in scotland. He came over during my summer and it was amazing. But i am planning on attending university so i decided to end the relationship sooner rather than later. Logically i didn't think i could afford a relationship with flight fares costing that much ontop of accommodation and food etc and the emotional strain of being apart all the time.

He was meant to be coming over this Christmas which i guess is why i'm feeling so down. We broke up almost 2 and a half months ago and i'm trying to move on and focus on school work and just get on with life but its really hard. Just last week i took the photos of us off my wall but i didn't even know what to do with them. I just put them in a drawer.

We tried to talk casual after it was over but that just made breaking harder. He accused me of never loving him and how he gave everything for me (always bringing up finance) so for the past month i've not texted him back. He texted Merry Christmas and i replied the same and i just keep crying while reading it now. I really do love him and i knew from the moment we met that i love him but its just really bad timing and I'm hoping fate brings us together again one day.

I've tried to move on and see other people. I hang out a lot with with of my guy friends and i know he is into me but i'm not looking for a relationship. Do you think friends with benefits is reasonable? i want to move on but not get into another relationship? please reply guys and just be honest with what you think xx
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

So I've just finished my first term of uni after taking a gap year and I just wanted to know if any of you had doubts about university or your course or anything? Im studying a subject I took at school and absolutely adored. I used to work really hard for it and really dedicate myself to it but I just don't have the enthusiasm anymore. I mean I love seeing my boyfriend and I actually really enjoy my job as a waitress and I am quite enthusiastic and dedicated to both but when it comes to uni I just don't have that. And obviously being at uni makes me long distance with my man which I which wasn't the case and I don't know whether I'm just not that into it because its the reason I'm not with him or if it actually the course or university I'm not sure of. Just wondering if this is common for first year or any suggestions/thoughts?!

Thanks guys, my head is a mess right now

I wouldn't make any snap decisions. Sometimes it takes some time to settle in and it could be partly that. It could just be that you are tired and the Christmas break will help you feel better. I really struggled being away from my bf whilst at uni and wanted to quit because of it but I pushed on through and actually found that I got a sense of achievement out of it at the end. If he's supportive, he will try to come and see you when he can and as a student you can often spend lots of time seeing him in holidays etc. My bf was based 3000 miles away but I still managed to see him for as much time in the year as I spent at uni (5 week Christmas holiday anyone?!). I'd stick at it, it's a big adjustment to being at uni, especially if you're missing your boyfriend lots. If you find you're dreading going back and feel like you can't cope, maybe then is the time to talk to someone about changing. Give it some time first though is my advice!
I just want some opinions/ advice/ something! I don't know what i want. I was in a relationship for a year with a guy in australia while i'm in scotland. He came over during my summer and it was amazing. But i am planning on attending university so i decided to end the relationship sooner rather than later. Logically i didn't think i could afford a relationship with flight fares costing that much ontop of accommodation and food etc and the emotional strain of being apart all the time.

He was meant to be coming over this Christmas which i guess is why i'm feeling so down. We broke up almost 2 and a half months ago and i'm trying to move on and focus on school work and just get on with life but its really hard. Just last week i took the photos of us off my wall but i didn't even know what to do with them. I just put them in a drawer.

We tried to talk casual after it was over but that just made breaking harder. He accused me of never loving him and how he gave everything for me (always bringing up finance) so for the past month i've not texted him back. He texted Merry Christmas and i replied the same and i just keep crying while reading it now. I really do love him and i knew from the moment we met that i love him but its just really bad timing and I'm hoping fate brings us together again one day.

I've tried to move on and see other people. I hang out a lot with with of my guy friends and i know he is into me but i'm not looking for a relationship. Do you think friends with benefits is reasonable? i want to move on but not get into another relationship? please reply guys and just be honest with what you think xx

Dont push away someone you love you will regret it. He was commited, you shouldnt have broke things off it makes your relationship stronger going through obstacles together n eventually u can be together n stay in the same place or something. Chase him back get him back before its too late :smile:
Dont push away someone you love you will regret it. He was commited, you shouldnt have broke things off it makes your relationship stronger going through obstacles together n eventually u can be together n stay in the same place or something. Chase him back get him back before its too late :smile:

i understand what you are saying and thanks for replying. The course i plan to do is 4 years long. I already had to take out loans and bursary and i have 2 jobs just to do college while I'm still living at home, university is going to make me even more strapped for cash. I don't want to argue with him over money because he has easy access to money but i feel bad about not contributing. I really do love him and i do want to try but i don't think its fair to either of us to go 4 years apart and i don't see how financially i can afford to go over to see him and because of the academic years and time zones we both have its difficult to even plan lengthy stays.

I understand it makes the relationship stronger but isn't there a line of how much someones heart can take? I've said good-bye to him twice and both times i collapsed in the airport because just seeing the plane fly off tore me apart. I don't see how its fair to him, to end it and then ask to be together again... i just... theres so many feelings and thoughts and I'm trying to get through them, i don't even know what to be thinking or how to say what i mean. Everyone at some point meets their one true love. I have met mine but its bad timing. Sorry i know you are helping me out here but i just don't know.
I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas! I enjoyed my family but was very upset that my boyfriend didn't call! (I couldn't call him as I didn't have the number of where he is). I'm spending Christmas with my grandparents and when I arrived yesterday there was a lovely Christmas bouquet of flowers waiting for me which was amazing, but to me a phone call on Christmas day is so much more important. Makes me sadder that I know he won't understand and if I mention it he'll just get annoyed and think I'm being needy :frown:
i understand what you are saying and thanks for replying. The course i plan to do is 4 years long. I already had to take out loans and bursary and i have 2 jobs just to do college while I'm still living at home, university is going to make me even more strapped for cash. I don't want to argue with him over money because he has easy access to money but i feel bad about not contributing. I really do love him and i do want to try but i don't think its fair to either of us to go 4 years apart and i don't see how financially i can afford to go over to see him and because of the academic years and time zones we both have its difficult to even plan lengthy stays.

I understand it makes the relationship stronger but isn't there a line of how much someones heart can take? I've said good-bye to him twice and both times i collapsed in the airport because just seeing the plane fly off tore me apart. I don't see how its fair to him, to end it and then ask to be together again... i just... theres so many feelings and thoughts and I'm trying to get through them, i don't even know what to be thinking or how to say what i mean. Everyone at some point meets their one true love. I have met mine but its bad timing. Sorry i know you are helping me out here but i just don't know.

well then the decision is up to you, i wouldnt let go so easily if i were you. I would at least try and make it work, talk to him about this tell him your difficulties and you can work something out. Otherwise if not then im afraid he's probably going to forget about you and be frustrated he spent so much loving time on you just to be put down..
Ok so it feels like the beginning of the end. I am flying over to see the bf tomorrow and absolutely dreading it which is a sure sign in my opinion that I should break up. I am the least confrontational person but I deserve someone with ambition who treats me extraordinary. I don't want someone who hasn't always got time for me..

It's absolutely stressing me to the hilt. I don't see the gap closing anytime soon. The timezones make things tricky too. I feel heartless and every female in his life has screwed him over but I can't deal with him.

I just want reassurance this is a sensible course of action.
Original post by WildeAboutOscar
Ok so it feels like the beginning of the end. I am flying over to see the bf tomorrow and absolutely dreading it which is a sure sign in my opinion that I should break up. I am the least confrontational person but I deserve someone with ambition who treats me extraordinary. I don't want someone who hasn't always got time for me..

It's absolutely stressing me to the hilt. I don't see the gap closing anytime soon. The timezones make things tricky too. I feel heartless and every female in his life has screwed him over but I can't deal with him.

I just want reassurance this is a sensible course of action.

Like you, I think that if you're dreading going to visit him, then it's time to end it. Life's too short to be with someone who doesn't make you happy.
Original post by rachelalice16
guys im so worried and upset. My boyfriend has finally got his placement in calafornia, which means i wont be seeing him for up to 4 months at a time, and the time difference is huge (i'm in the UK- which is 8 hours ahead)

Any advice?

My boyfriend and I did Italy-California this summer, so I know exactly how you're feeling - and we had an extra hour's time difference as well versus the UK. I was away for four months, so very similar to what you're facing into. My big piece of advice would be, if it's at all possible, to try and visit him. If you can stay with him then it would help keep costs down, though flights etc are still expensive I know (though many airlines will be having their sales around now!). My boyfriend came out for one month, and honestly it was amazing. It kept me going during that first month, knowing he was coming soon, and I so enjoyed having him around, and sharing a routine etc. I won't lie, the 2 months after he left but before I came home were really really hard. I missed him like crazy, because he had been there and suddenly he wasn't, and everything in Cali reminded me of things we had done together! So it won't be easy I'm afraid. While we were apart we tried to Skype as often as possible (often I would wake up earlyish to catch him in the afternoon), and we Facebook chatted as well while we were both at work. I sent him little cards once in a while too, and he did the same. But we also tried to make sure we were both living our lives where we were, and not just hanging onto the phone or computer. Having a routine and friends where you are really helps control the loneliness and the separation: it'll be perhaps ever so slightly easier for you since you'll be in the UK; sometimes I resented my boyfriend for being at home and enjoying a stable routine and all the comforts of being at home and having his circle of friends around him etc, while I was in America essentially by myself, even though I had made some friends there. As terrible as it sounds you will get used to not having the other person around, but as long as you both make the effort to keep communication open between you, you can weather this. My boyfriend and I are also very open about when one of us is really missing the other, neither of us would be afraid to say it. Those times can be tough, when all you want is to reach through the screen and hug them, but you just have to believe and hope to get you through those times, and know you'll be back together soon. Feel free to PM or reply if you've any more queries, I know exactly how you're feeling - though I am a little jealous of your boyfriend getting to go to California, haha, it's amazing!
Reply 992
Hi there,

My boyfriend left yesterday for his 7 month gap year to India, Asia and Africa. We've been together for a little over a year now, and we have a very strong relationship. I was at uni this September and he was able to visit me a lot more than we thought, we knew we were going to stay together while he goes travelling. Now the first night has passed, I still feel like my guts have been scooped out and I feel a little sick (which I think is anxiety). I just thought I'd post here to get some support and for others to tell me how they coped. I'm looking forward to going back to uni, just so I have stuff to do. I hope it gets easier, but I feels so hard right now. Thanks :smile:
Original post by holsjols
Hi there,

My boyfriend left yesterday for his 7 month gap year to India, Asia and Africa. We've been together for a little over a year now, and we have a very strong relationship. I was at uni this September and he was able to visit me a lot more than we thought, we knew we were going to stay together while he goes travelling. Now the first night has passed, I still feel like my guts have been scooped out and I feel a little sick (which I think is anxiety). I just thought I'd post here to get some support and for others to tell me how they coped. I'm looking forward to going back to uni, just so I have stuff to do. I hope it gets easier, but I feels so hard right now. Thanks :smile:

Big hugs :hugs: I've found that once I'm busy the sad feelings go again and you look forward to talking to your boyfriend. Have you got any hobbies or plans with friends to keep you busy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
here goes... I'm not with my LDR boyfriend anymore :frown:. We met online in april 2012, he lived in Canada I live in England. It was lovely at first; skyped nearly every night, texted all the time. I had met my soul mate...but then he kept lying about when he was going to come over. I got agitated. He would lie about sending things, and id see them lying about in the background when we skyped. It got to the point where I just could not take it anymore. Don't get me wrong I made my fair share of mistakes too... missing skype dates, arguing and whatnot. But then the worst thing happened.. he converted to a faith I knew my mother would never condone, and he knew if he did that we could never be together. He converted regardless, and I understood my place in his life. We ended in Dec 2012. However, we continued to pop up into eachother's life since. He'd message me telling me he missed me. A month or two later I would do the same. The reason for this post is that... a year later he now refuses to talk to me, i still love him but I respect my mother and I respect myself as i do not want the endless nights of crying again. But I still love him. I have been in a relationship since... but that ended shortly as I wanted my LDR boy back. Should I forget him or should I continue to fight for him back? please help me :frown: please
Reply 995
Original post by shorttstuff
Big hugs :hugs: I've found that once I'm busy the sad feelings go again and you look forward to talking to your boyfriend. Have you got any hobbies or plans with friends to keep you busy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the hugs :3 I'm on break from uni for Christmas/New Year and last night I went out with my friends and I was so pleased with myself for having a good time, even if I did keep checking what time it is Chennai. I'm finding distractions help and then I also have time to be nice to myself, I haven't experienced any raw emotions which is what I expected. I just kind of feel a bit flat. I'm looking forward to getting back to uni and going to society events. :smile:
here goes... I'm not with my LDR boyfriend anymore :frown:. We met online in april 2012, he lived in Canada I live in England. It was lovely at first; skyped nearly every night, texted all the time. I had met my soul mate...but then he kept lying about when he was going to come over. I got agitated. He would lie about sending things, and id see them lying about in the background when we skyped. It got to the point where I just could not take it anymore. Don't get me wrong I made my fair share of mistakes too... missing skype dates, arguing and whatnot. But then the worst thing happened.. he converted to a faith I knew my mother would never condone, and he knew if he did that we could never be together. He converted regardless, and I understood my place in his life. We ended in Dec 2012. However, we continued to pop up into eachother's life since. He'd message me telling me he missed me. A month or two later I would do the same. The reason for this post is that... a year later he now refuses to talk to me, i still love him but I respect my mother and I respect myself as i do not want the endless nights of crying again. But I still love him. I have been in a relationship since... but that ended shortly as I wanted my LDR boy back. Should I forget him or should I continue to fight for him back? please help me :frown: please

get him back, talk it out. Then meet eventually and be together :tongue:
Reply 997
I don't know how you do it people, but props to you all. Not too long ago, I would of made immature posts just to rile you all up for giggles, now here I am in a situation where a long-distance relationship could happen at any moment, I just need to say yes to her.

I've been thinking about her non-stop, I can't get her out of my head. We've been speaking on Skype for three-four months now.
Anon as he uses this site sometimes.

I thought it's relevant to post this here although the distance isn't that bad - London and the South (don't want to be too specific in case he finds it). He is doing a Masters' and I am at uni also. We are 'seeing each other exclusively' but this has caused problems in the past; as we aren't even in the same city, I struggle to see how this will progress. He is happy not to sleep with or date anyone else etc but doesn't want the label of girlfriend/boyfriend as he said it causes problems and strains the relationship.

I am very insecure even though I really, really like him. We didn't see each other from September until yesterday and have been 'ending things' a few times, in which we have not spoken for a fortnight - a month at a time. In these periods I have gone a bit mad and sent loads and loads of texts, which obviously scared him off more. When I managed to stop doing this, he came back. Every single time. And I said some vile things. So realistically, typing this I feel stupid - he obviously must like me if he can put up with that, and also he hasn't slept with or even kissed anyone else. But I slept with two other people, not even because I wanted to but because I was sad. He has looked past this and as of yesterday we are back to 'seeing each other'.

What I am asking advice on is how to proceed and make it go somewhere. He is very busy and doesn't want a relationship right now; I also am not fussed with the label of it until I've finished uni. But I am also really insecure and feel like the distance means it won't progress. Also, even though it's hypocritical, I am really jealous that he has a lot of female friends and I get really jealous when he tweets them and stuff :frown: I know that's really unfair but I just feel really insecure in this. In the summer he texted/talked to me constantly, told me how much he liked me and stuff and even though he lives in the North and I live in London, the gap didn't seem an issue. I know it's not the same as he is genuinely really busy at uni,he puts his work first which I admire, but I don't know how to overcome my insecurity and how to make things progress with him. I am worried I'm going to end up pushing him away :frown:

Any advice? And could you 'X' it if you quote as I will probably delete this soon just in case!
Original post by Yakob
I don't know how you do it people, but props to you all. Not too long ago, I would of made immature posts just to rile you all up for giggles, now here I am in a situation where a long-distance relationship could happen at any moment, I just need to say yes to her.

I've been thinking about her non-stop, I can't get her out of my head. We've been speaking on Skype for three-four months now.

do it, if you love her dont let her go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending