The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clareyyyyyyy
i applied to edinburgh with predictions of A*A*AA and got an offer for AAA... my friend applied with predictions of ABB and got rejected. guess it's still worth contacting the department, though i wasn't such a big fan of it :smile:
also, another one for you to consider is the mac (glasgow school of art) - as i was given an offer of ABB (i think their typical offer is AAB subject to portfolio interview etc) and they're a pretty well known school out there in the big wide world :smile: good luck!

Hi, yeah, I was thinking of GSA aswell, but I'm not 100% sure yet - as I have said, I do definitely need to visit the Uni before applying to it :/

also, on their website they say that GCSE english must be an A - does this mean literature or language? Because I got A for language, B for literature...

thanks!
Original post by Architecture-er
Bath asked for an A in Maths when I applied, but it wasn't part of their pre-application grade requirements. In other words, they only requested it from students who'd actually taken the A-level, and didn't request the A-level itself. If he drops his maths at AS and takes the other 3 subjects onto A2 he shouldn't be disadvantaged, as some other applicants simply won't have taken Maths whatsoever.

Ah thank you! :smile:
Original post by Archengsculp
Hi, yeah, I was thinking of GSA aswell, but I'm not 100% sure yet - as I have said, I do definitely need to visit the Uni before applying to it :/

also, on their website they say that GCSE english must be an A - does this mean literature or language? Because I got A for language, B for literature...

thanks!

don't think it matters but possibly worth contacting them about. think it's mainly for people's level of english so shouldn't matter, but think they're pretty insistent on it - my friend got rejected as she had two b's in lit and lang.
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
don't think it matters but possibly worth contacting them about. think it's mainly for people's level of english so shouldn't matter, but think they're pretty insistent on it - my friend got rejected as she had two b's in lit and lang.

Ah, okay.. would you have any idea on why they insist on an A grade?
Ah, okay.. would you have any idea on why they insist on an A grade?

absolutely no idea sorry! probably worth contacting them if it's a problem :smile:
Reply 65
Hi,
I am strongly considering applying to Cambridge, Bath, Nottingham, Oxford Brooke's and Portsmouth.
One big problem is that I mucked up my AS Grades, and got AABD (Art, Product Design, Geography, Maths) . My teachers say I can get A*A*A, but I'm not sure whether to apply to Cambridge as it may be an instant rejection. What does everyone think? Would Bath still be an option,with those grades? I was considering Cardiff or Edinburgh over Cambridge.
Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 7mathes
Hi,
I am strongly considering applying to Cambridge, Bath, Nottingham, Oxford Brooke's and Portsmouth.
One big problem is that I mucked up my AS Grades, and got AABD (Art, Product Design, Geography, Maths) . My teachers say I can get A*A*A, but I'm not sure whether to apply to Cambridge as it may be an instant rejection. What does everyone think? Would Bath still be an option,with those grades? I was considering Cardiff or Edinburgh over Cambridge.
Thanks

Have you resat any exams? I don't think Bath accepts that.

Um. I'd say to go for it if you don't have any others that are in the same "league" as the likes of Bath, Cambridge etc. if you don't have any
Reply 67
Original post by 7mathes
Hi,
Thanks

I was in a similar position - I got AABBB (one of those As in in General Studies :wink: ). I asked around for advice from teachers about Cambridge, and I've been discouraged from applying - they really want those As, especially for a competitive course like Architecture. I'm still applying for Bath, I have a-levels they seem to like (Physics, Maths, Art) and since I'm not far from the A grade in my Bs I can get their minimum entry requirements.
Bath asked for an A in Maths when I applied, but it wasn't part of their pre-application grade requirements. In other words, they only requested it from students who'd actually taken the A-level, and didn't request the A-level itself. If he drops his maths at AS and takes the other 3 subjects onto A2 he shouldn't be disadvantaged, as some other applicants simply won't have taken Maths whatsoever.

Hi do you go to Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by el_architecto
From my own experience of an architecture degree, I would suggest that unless you are really motivated to do architecture, you will struggle. It's a lot of work, like the volume of stuff you're expected to churn out, if you're not feeling it, it can be really tough. But to its credit, you generally get a brief and where you take it from there is up to you. But you will be writing essays and reading books on architecture, designing buildings (to some extent anyway) and probably doing lectures in some kind of construction/technology module.

And, I think rather than aesthetics or building technologies, the most important aspect of architecture, in terms of a building, is its spatial planning and its relations to its surrounding space, which is partially addressed by its aesthetics, street facades etc... but also just levels, where windows go, where the entrance sits in relation to pedestrian traffic, which parts are public or private etc...

I have heard that architecture is quite a good transferable degree if you're just interested in some kind of applied-design career, but yeah... if you're not really interested in the actual course content, you might have to look elsewhere for a degree.

where did you graduate from and how did you enjoy the course?
I am considering architecture in the end because spatial planning, as mentioned, interests me and I think I might enjoy it in the end after reading the comments and discussions.
Thankyou for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gherkinsnolives
Hi do you go to Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :smile:
Yep :smile:

Since bath doesn't require portfolio but instead Work experience, mind sharing / helping on how stand a chance in getting accepted at Bath please? Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
I'm thinking of applying to Bath. I'm taking A-level maths - I've resat one module and planning to retake C3 and C4 this summer (I did maths a year early). Is it still worth applying to Bath despite my resits, especially since I took them a year early?

Also, how exactly does portfolio submission work, or does that depend on the uni? I'm a bit confused. :x Do we get a notice from the uni asking us to send it? Or do we send it to them straight away after our UCAS application has been submitted?
Reply 73
Have you resat any exams? I don't think Bath accepts that.

Um. I'd say to go for it if you don't have any others that are in the same "league" as the likes of Bath, Cambridge etc. if you don't have any

I haven't reseat any exams yet, but I am retaking a geo module, so that I have got AAA in the main subjects at AS Level, enabling me to get A*A*A at A2. What don't you think Bath accepts? Most of the unis i am applying to are AAA offers, so I think I am going to scrap Cambridge and just go with Bath.
Original post by Yuemie
I'm thinking of applying to Bath. I'm taking A-level maths - I've resat one module and planning to retake C3 and C4 this summer (I did maths a year early). Is it still worth applying to Bath despite my resits, especially since I took them a year early?

Also, how exactly does portfolio submission work, or does that depend on the uni? I'm a bit confused. :x Do we get a notice from the uni asking us to send it? Or do we send it to them straight away after our UCAS application has been submitted?

I think most unis look at your application first, then if they want to go further they'll invite you to an interview or request for your portfolio, or request for a portfolio review - where you talk about your work :P
Reply 75
I think most unis look at your application first, then if they want to go further they'll invite you to an interview or request for your portfolio, or request for a portfolio review - where you talk about your work :P

Oh okay! Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Yuemie

i resat core 1 maths (despite having an A overall for as maths) and still got an offer from bath :smile:
when it come to portfolios, it depends on the uni really :smile: some didn't ask me for one at all, whereas cardiff requested a portfolio from everyone and sheffield and the mac asked people directly for a portfolio. some want online submissions and some want paper copies - they'll usually say at open days etc and they should also provide guidance of what they want to see - i know sheffield had a link on their website :smile:
Reply 77
If anyone needs some example works to look at I've uploaded a summary of the projects I did on Youtube. Might be helpful to some of you!

[video="youtube;QIzaNcJEJFc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIzaNcJEJFc[/video]
Reply 78
Original post by Glitched
If anyone needs some example works to look at I've uploaded a summary of the projects I did on Youtube. Might be helpful to some of you!

[video="youtube;QIzaNcJEJFc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIzaNcJEJFc[/video]

Wow your work is amazing!
How did you come up with all those ideas? They all look amazing.
I really like the spine ideas, and testing flexibility - I would never have thought of that!
Reply 79
Original post by anowak
Wow your work is amazing!
How did you come up with all those ideas? They all look amazing.
I really like the spine ideas, and testing flexibility - I would never have thought of that!

Thank you! Well it's pretty simple I get a lot of inspiration from everything could be movies, games or something as simple as a straight line. The inspiration then turns into a lot of different ideas for projects after that I just decide on what ideas seem most interesting to explore further. The most important thing that you should focus on when doing a project is experimentation and not worry too much about having a final piece it's how I got all those ideas shown in the video. Experimenting allows you to push yourself and that's what universities like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending