The Student Room Group

To those who got A*s (or are expecting to) at A-level - how many hours per week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How do you measure extra? I don't know if I did much over and above :s-smilie: it's more about doing what you're required to thoroughly.
Reply 21
All about how you revise, rather than the number of hours spent revising.

I'm expecting an A* in English Literature and Psychology, and can guarantee that I revised less for English Lit then a lot of my friends who are expecting Bs. It's just that the revision I do for it is much more efficient then what others do.

The same goes for Psychology, as a lot of my friends spent tonnes of time re writing notes and trying to remember every single case study given to us. This is simply not needed, if you think smartly you can understand that you can use various cases for many different theories/questions, and so picking the 'juicy' ones is necessary. I think this is the same across all subjects and that many people don't revise as efficiently as others, which just makes it a much longer process revising.

Personally, from Easter onwards I spent an extra 2 hours in the school library revising, then would sometimes do another hour/90minutes at home, in addition to the hours during school. I would not need to revise anywhere near as much at weekends and wouldn't really do much revison after 7:30pm. Others may be different, but maybe that gives you a small insight of what I think works.
I did Physics, Maths and French and I didn't really do much work outside of lessons except for homeworks and revising for mock exams and whatnot. I generally made sure that I didn't waste my free lessons like most in our year did though. I got by by revising like hell for the week preceding the exam (which is very, very stressful, by the way; don't do it).

I'm lucky in that I can get away with it; it's certainly not how you should go about studying at A-level. I have a decent memory though, so don't count on it. I also have an interest in the subjects, so I possibly studied them more than I thought I did too.
Reply 23
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Sorry a bit irrelevant to your question but if you get an A for a subject as AS Level would it be possible to try and achieve an A* at A2? Even if you just scraped the A at AS? Just curious...Thanks.

I know people who got Bs at AS and A*s at A2 so I wouldn't worry too much!
Reply 24
I intend to get A*'s at A2 and i've been doing about 4-6 hours of a work a day (or i try to :colone:)
I do more work during study leave- during this years study leave i did 8-10 hours per day. It was compromised of mainly past papers and testing myself.
Reply 25
I didn't do that much extra during term time, maybe 2 hours extra per subject a week for my essay subjects. I just made sure I really concentrated on making good notes during lessons, then did all my 'extra' work in the easter holidays and on study leave- perhaps 4-6 hours a day when I was on study leave, occasionally more when the panic set in. What subjects are you intending to do/are doing?
Original post by Plainview
How do you measure extra? I don't know if I did much over and above :s-smilie: it's more about doing what you're required to thoroughly.

This so much.
Just saying as it is in my case,

I got 5 A*s at A Level. including Maths Further Maths, Chem Phys, General Studies

I was pretty much a workaholic during most of Year 13, particularly April of Year 13 onwards! A typical day for me was getting in 9 hours a day.

BUT I discourage this sort of approach in hindsight,I achieved what I set out for, including unconditional offer at Cambridge for Phys Natural Sciences, but I think it is fair to say I could probably have still done this, but been more efficient with timing and what I learnt etc. and saved a lot of aggro. To explain what I mean, because of the extra work I would do in my sciences, I did not find the infamous interviews too bad at all and believe I did pretty well. However many say they found theirs horreddous. I feel the extra stuff beyound the A2 syllabi stood me in good stead for Year in Industry and Cambridge interviews.

So I guess, it's what you want if you simply wish to meet a conditional offer for a competitive university course, then I wouldn't be too religious about it. But if you want to pursue extra things for academic interest in its own right (which I feel hold you in good stead for the demaning university courses), then I believe your revision should become more like a full time job!!
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Sorry a bit irrelevant to your question but if you get an A for a subject as AS Level would it be possible to try and achieve an A* at A2? Even if you just scraped the A at AS? Just curious...Thanks.

Yes, definitely. Scraped an A in my physics AS level, then really worked hard and pulled my socks up second year and got almost full marks and an A*. More than possible!
Reply 29
I would say it depends on the subject?

I mean I probably did around 3 hours per week out of school hours for ICT. I gained 95UMS at As level and i'm on 97% at A2 without the consideration of my final exam.
Reply 30
about 50-60 hours extra per week outside lessons. I'd say 1hr 30 at school (in free periods and some lunches) and then 4 hours at home. More at weekends. This would be in the final weeks before exams though :smile:
I think it depends on the subject. I'm only targeted A's for my Sciences because I'm not into all the hardcore memorise and re-call revision strategies, but I'm targeted an A* for Philosophy because I have a genuine affinity with the subject.
Reply 32
I never had a set amount of revision time and I'm hoping for 1 or 2 A*'s. Yes you will need to dedicate extra time to your subjects but we can't tell you how much because we don't know how long it will take you to grasp certain concepts. It's more important to make sure you've covered everything than to make sure you've worked for a fixed amount of hours. Just make sure you give yourself enough time. Start early and you'll find the work more manageable later on.
Original post by The Angry Stoic
What counts as extra? Outside of school time?

I got an A* in Biology.

I'd say the important thing is not how much you revise but how you revise.

:ditto:

Subject: Psychology
I think I was really lucky with the teacher I had. In lessons, about 85% if the focus was on essay practice and 15% on learning the content. She was fabulous with her teaching methods :biggrin:

First and foremost, I think it's important to enjoy the subject. I absolutely adored psychology, and I actually liked how they test you in the exam! Takes little time to learn essays when you're fascinated about the topic.

Once you've perfected the essay style the examiners are looking for, you have to put in little effort and time for revision and forming 'perfect' essays. Once you've got your perfect essays, it's up to you how you choose to learn them.

I spent extra hours reading up journal articles surrounding topics I found an interest in (didn't matter if they weren't in the spec) this helped in broadening my understanding of the evaluative aspect of the subject. I read up on examiner reports and anything else that could give me a holistic and clear understanding of what the examiner is really looking for, to the point where I'm so confident, whenever I saw an essay I'd instantly know what mark/grade it was.

Number of hours spent is subject to how you revise, and most importantly, how well you've mastered the exam technique whether it's essay or not. For example, if you choose to verbally learn, it will take fewer hours compared to writing and if you've hit the nail on the head with your essay skills, you'll find that you're spending fewer hours revising.

I'm awaiting my results in August, hoping fo' dat A* :ninja:
(edited 10 years ago)
Just a C at AS

+ 100% at A2

= A*

Not realistic though
Original post by Splenge007
:ditto:

Subject: Psychology
I think I was really lucky with the teacher I had. In lessons, about 85% if the focus was on essay practice and 15% on learning the content. She was fabulous with her teaching methods :biggrin:

First and foremost, I think it's important to enjoy the subject. I absolutely adored psychology, and I actually liked how they test you in the exam! Takes little time to learn essays when you're fascinated about the topic.

Once you've perfected the essay style the examiners are looking for, you have to put in little effort and time for revision and forming 'perfect' essays. Once you've got your perfect essays, it's up to you how you choose to learn them.

I spent extra hours reading up journal articles surrounding topics I found an interest in (didn't matter if they weren't in the spec) this helped in broadening my understanding of the evaluative aspect of the subject. I read up on examiner reports and anything else that could give me a holistic and clear understanding of what the examiner is really looking for, to the point where I'm so confident, whenever I saw an essay I'd instantly know what mark/grade it was.

Number of hours spent is subject to how you revise, and most importantly, how well you've mastered the exam technique whether it's essay or not. For example, if you choose to verbally learn, it will take fewer hours compared to writing and if you've hit the nail on the head with your essay skills, you'll find that you're spending fewer hours revising.

I'm awaiting my results in August, hoping fo' dat A* :ninja:

One does not simply...enjoy ecology in biology. Ever.
This is quiet a random off-topic question but in regards to how good you are at writing essays if you were to get an A in sociology at GCSE (I know this is supposed to be 100x easier in comparison to A-Levels) would that indicate that your essay writing and structure of essays is of at least a level that can be molded to be suitable for something like taking an A-Level in History or Psychology?

I ask just because I'm worried that my general idea of structuring/writing an essay etc is just not of a high enough level to be taking an A-Level.
Original post by Ciaran Cobain
This is quiet a random off-topic question but in regards to how good you are at writing essays if you were to get an A in sociology at GCSE (I know this is supposed to be 100x easier in comparison to A-Levels) would that indicate that your essay writing and structure of essays is of at least a level that can be molded to be suitable for something like taking an A-Level in History or Psychology?

I ask just because I'm worried that my general idea of structuring/writing an essay etc is just not of a high enough level to be taking an A-Level.

Certainly, I had an A in English Literature at GCSE and subsequently got an A in AS-level. It's pretty much down to how much you practice and how much you read.
The only A* I know I've got is in maths. Apart from homework, I don't think I did anything outside of school, although I did revise in the days before the tests. I wouldn't advise doing that, though :redface:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
One does not simply...enjoy ecology in biology. Ever.

Even if you don't enjoy a particular topic within that subject, as long as you enjoy/good at all other topics, you'll be fine. It just means you have to put in extra effort for that one subject you don't enjoy.

In AS psychology, I found Developmental Psych ridiculously boring, really did not enjoy it. I enjoyed every other topic and I wanted a really good grade, so I used that motivation and just had to push myself.

Original post by Ciaran Cobain

The grades you get at GCSE (particularly Eng & Maths) are quite important when sixth form tutors/colleges select you, because they're a very good indicator of whether you're good enough for the applied subjects. It's hard to make a judgement about your essay writing skills with just on the basis of your sociology grade. How are you progressing at English?

How confident do you feel when writing essays in sociology?

Quick Reply

Latest