The Student Room Group

Maintenance grant but lives at two houses with two parents

Hi

What happens if parents have split up but have joint custody, so the student lives with both equally? Whose income do we put down?

Help!
Reply 1
Who do you live with the most?
Reply 2
Equal. 4 days with mum then 3 with dad one week then swap over the second week. Mum gets the child benefit though.
Flip a coin
Reply 4
If mum gets the child benefit then it would be the address you're registered with so stick with that one.
Reply 5
Original post by lulastarr
If mum gets the child benefit then it would be the address you're registered with so stick with that one.

This. If you're mum is getting child benefits then you are registered as living there primarily.
Reply 6
Hmmm well my mum earns the most. If I went with her address I would get nothing but with my dad I would get everything. Is it fraudulent if I said I live with my dad, would they say that as my mum gets the child benefit I have to declare her income?

Thanks so much all for your quick and helpful replies.
Who earns the least? :p:
Reply 8
Original post by sooziebabes
Hmmm well my mum earns the most. If I went with her address I would get nothing but with my dad I would get everything. Is it fraudulent if I said I live with my dad, would they say that as my mum gets the child benefit I have to declare her income?

Thanks so much all for your quick and helpful replies.

I think they ask about benefits they receive for you on the form. It would look strange (and obviously fraudulent) if your dad has a low wage; but receives no benefits for you.
Child benefit doesn't affect SFE funding and is not counted as student's non-taxable income. Also when you go to university your mum won't get child benefit for you anymore anyway!

If parental contact is equal you can choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending