The Student Room Group

This royal baby coverage

Anyone else getting bored of the in-depth reporting of NOTHING HAPPENING!!!
http://eveningharold.com/2013/07/18/exclusive-royal-baby-update-nothings-happened/

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't bother me. Magazines and the internet are full of articles of nothingness. If someone's been told to follow the story there's only so much a journalist can do. Babies don't appear on schedule. I'll just ignore it until someone tells me the baby has actually arrived.
Reply 2
What is the point of doing an update if nothing has happened? Talking about a woman turning up who was in labour but wasn't Kate Middleton, well DUH, what is the point in even reporting that. I feel bad for the women who are in labour and are trying to get into the hospital, it's not fair for them to have their photos taken when they are in so much pain
Reply 3
Nobody cares when nothing happens, and I doubt many will care even when something does happen. I know I won't.

It's the nature of throwaway journalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
The Sun currently has a live feed called the 'Royal Baby Monitor' at the door Kate Middleton will enter the hospital in (I presume?) Crazyness.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/royals/royalbaby/5017568/The-Suns-Royal-Baby-live-blog.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Lol, agreed. Like everything they've done since the wedding, the media has gone way OTT over it and all the articles, programmes on tv, news online for a baby that hasn't been born yet is just ludicrous, until the baby actually comes, who actually gives a **** :rolleyes:
Reply 6
It's amazing that every day shedloads of children are born into untold poverty yet our society is more obsessed about one that's going to be born into fantastic riches. It's quite sad.
Reply 7
I think it's because we are in the traditional quite news weeks part of the year. Every summer minor events are blown to maximum coverage to fill pages. PS, Hannah, the attached story was mocking :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hannah247
What is the point of doing an update if nothing has happened? Talking about a woman turning up who was in labour but wasn't Kate Middleton, well DUH, what is the point in even reporting that. I feel bad for the women who are in labour and are trying to get into the hospital, it's not fair for them to have their photos taken when they are in so much pain

I don't really think it's fair that the press will be taking pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge when she is potentially in "so much pain" but that doesn't seem to stop them. I really despise the press habit of lurking outside hospitals.

I kind of hope that she either sneaks in via a side entrance or goes to another hospital entirely just to fool them.
Reply 9
The only coverage I've seen at all is on this website.
My mates mum reads The Scum and there as an article in it about how Kate could "look great giving birth".

If I were her I'd be more concerned with the labour pain than I would be over whether I've got too much lippy on or not.
Original post by Mechie
It's amazing that every day shedloads of children are born into untold poverty yet our society is more obsessed about one that's going to be born into fantastic riches. It's quite sad.

That's no way to talk about your betters.
Reply 12
I actually think it has been quite low key in comparison to the wedding. Think back to the build up to the nuptials, it was wall to wall.

I don't think the royal baby had had many headlines......yet.
Original post by Kwollum
I actually think it has been quite low key in comparison to the wedding. Think back to the build up to the nuptials, it was wall to wall.

I don't think the royal baby had had many headlines......yet.

I agree. But as soon as the baby is born, I think it will just be EVERYWHERE for a while.
Original post by Mechie

The Queen and her family are undoubtedly rich, but their wealth is relatively small compared to US industrialists, Arab oil families or many European royals. The issue isn't the wealth, but the fame of the British royals and the arrival of a new future King/Queen.

That said, the coverage is already become too tiresome to bear, so it will doubtless reach untold levels of skin-crawling excessiveness and absurd inanity during the coming months. I actually feel a bit sorry for this child, wealth or not - think of the issues and difficulties they might face. Not the least of which is this blanket media coverage at every stage of their growing up.

Amazing how normal William is, given all that's happened. He is a genuinely nice guy - having a proper, difficult, demanding job to do has certainly helped with that.
Well I have money on the name, so I am actually quite interested.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Well I have money on the name, so I am actually quite interested.

What name(s) have you bet on?
Reply 17
I'm extremely interested. The royal family are our most highest leaders and them having their family line continued so that the monarchy may remain long into the future is a big deal. People can pretend it's hip and cool not to care about the birth of a future monarch but they deep down know it isn't, that this is the most significant royal event since the coronation of Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Garter, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem. I fully look forward to the birth of the new royal and the new chapter in our glorious monarchies life.
Everything is slow in the summer so they're making it into a big deal. It makes it seem like we care more than we really do. Personally, I couldn't care less if the entire royal family are killed in a plane crash, but that's just me.
Original post by Mechie

1.6 million children in Britain live in severe poverty. The royal family symbolise everything that is wrong with Britain imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending