The Student Room Group

NHS Graduate Scheme 2014

I don't think there's one of these yet? I know it's a bit early but I want to make sure my application is really strong when I apply.

I'm looking to apply for the HR track in October. I'm getting a bit worried that a) I don't have enough experience and b) I'm going to fail the numeracy test (I am *terrible* with numbers).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi i'm wanting to apply also. Ive been trying to practice the tests and
quite frankly I've already had tears. For a chartered scientist with a Masters and 10 yrs in the NHS i suck at psychometric tets. I just cant do them correctly. That is where i will fail, stage 1 :frown:
Reply 2
I am terrified of the maths tests, I am shockingly bad at maths. I know that I would make a great HR director, I'm passionate and get along with everyone, and can communicate really well but I can't add quickly, and division is akin to Russian in my mind.
Reply 3
Original post by kiss_me_now9
I am terrified of the maths tests, I am shockingly bad at maths. I know that I would make a great HR director, I'm passionate and get along with everyone, and can communicate really well but I can't add quickly, and division is akin to Russian in my mind.

what degree is this for?

Why the neg :rolleyes:?

the scheme is not that obvious you know? NHS have alot of thing running they have the aberdeen 4 year fast track dental course...so sorry for insulting your intelligence...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
It isnt, its fora fast track training scheme for graduates offered by the NHS.
Reply 5

:frown: i don't know what to do about it. Ive bought the books, and online subscriptions, i sit there trying to work out the question. Ive got my teenagers GSCE maths revision guide. Maybe i should go back to 1st principles of basic functions and build up from there.

I want to do GM. I have 5 publications and they have inspired and influenced other people, people have gotten science jobs because of me, they are now chartered because of me, they have made their uni decisions because of me. So i know i can influence, but i want to do it at a higher level, in a management role. But i cannot add up for toffee.
Reply 6
Hey - Yeah I'm going to apply this year too. I've tried the practice tests once and got ABB which they said was above average but I'll need to do some more to make sure it wasn't just dumb luck :ashamed2:

Are you guys applying to any other grad schemes?
Reply 7

I'm looking to apply for the HR track in October. I'm getting a bit worried that a) I don't have enough experience and b) I'm going to fail the numeracy test (I am *terrible* with numbers).

Hey :smile: I was lucky enough to get on this year and start in a few weeks. (I'm doing finance though)

Do not worry about experience, having talked to several people who have got on the scheme there is a huge range in terms of experience, some have worked in the NHS for many years, others have worked in manager positions and others are coming out of university with no work experience other than working part time in coffee shops and bars.

As for the numeracy I guess its just keep practising :smile: I am sure with a bit of practise you will get the hang of it.

Good luck to you all.
Reply 8
Are we allowed to use calculators for the tests? Im Currently in holiday in Spain, and ive been sat on the beach with a book, calculator and maths tests. How bloody sad is that? :frown: but i cannot add up for **** and have to study or else i simply will not get through. Ps on ipad so soz abiut typos
Reply 9
Hi everyone!

I'm planning to apply for the HR track too. I'm also worried about the psychometric tests! Maths in particular. I have a few books on psychometric testing and I'm blasting through the GCSE Bitesize maths revision site so I'm hoping I can drag myself up to standard!
Reply 10
Hey all,

I'm also thinking of applying to the HR programme this October. May I ask where people are finding these practice tests for the psychometric testing? I can't seem to find any online but I remember seeing some on the nhs grad scheme website last year (due to personal commitments I never ended up applying last year but am going to this year).

Thanks
Hello everyone!!

Just thought I'd pop in to leave a quick message when I saw your thread. I am on the NHS Graduate Scheme 2013 intake.

Last year the tests consisted of a numerical reasoning test, verbal reasoning test, situational judgement test and personality questionnaire. For the numerical and verbal reasoning tests the key really is practice.

http://www.psl.com/practice/ : This is the link you can also find on the Graduate Scheme website to a couple of their practice tests, which are laid out in the same format as the real ones. There are also lots of other practice tests on the Internet, both free or to purchase, if you Google aptitude tests and reasoning tests. Some maths knowledge areas are really important to do well on the test (such as percentages and ratios) but for the most part I found it is more about being able to quickly manipulate the information.

There are lots of people you can ask questions to over on the official Facebook page if anybody wants any advice/tips https://www.facebook.com/NHSGraduateScheme/app_80376816345

Hope that helps a little bit and good luck to you all! =)
Reply 12
Hi everyone,

I am also thinking of applying for the 2014 intake, HR track. I just wondered if somebody could clarify when the reasoning tests are to be taken? Are they part of the initial application to be submitted in December? If so, are they taken at home? I don't see how this can be fair because surely somebody else could simply sit the exam for you??

I know there is an assessment centre in March but only the top scorers on these exams are shortlisted for interview. I'm not entirely sure this is fair. I know a friend of mine applied to the M&S Graduate scheme a couple of years ago and failed the numerical/verbal reasoning tests. She applied the following year and asked her Dad to help complete them (he is a financial director!). She then obviously passed, was successful at interview etc and got a place!

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone to this calibre/ level so I guess I had better get practicing!! :/
Reply 13
Hi!

I'm probably going to be applying for the General Management scheme :smile:, I've already been rejected by the Civil Service through the competency questionnaires (I passed both numerical and verbal) so I'm pretty scared I'm just not the right type of person even though this is something I really really want to do :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I just applied... we'll see how it goes haha
I'm reapplying for finance having been unsuccessful at interview last year (though I was in shock I got that far!)...hopefully this year will go better!
So I feel a bit silly getting stuck on the initial application form, but what on earth are my six 'most relevant' A Level or GCSE qualifications?
Reply 17
I'm doing the application just now but I'm a bit confused. What do the full circles and half circles mean at the top? My understanding would be section complete (full) or section partly completed (half) but I've entered all my information and still my higher education and employment are showing as half full. Anyone able to clarify if I'm missing something?
Reply 18
Original post by takemethere
So I feel a bit silly getting stuck on the initial application form, but what on earth are my six 'most relevant' A Level or GCSE qualifications?

I've put the highest school qualifications that I achieved in order highest to lowest. I'm sure the degree classification you have/get matters more for this scheme than how you did at school.
Original post by elou2710
I've put the highest school qualifications that I achieved in order highest to lowest. I'm sure the degree classification you have/get matters more for this scheme than how you did at school.

Thanks. I've put my three A-Levels and then the grades I got in those subjects at GCSE as they're my highest... hopefully that's okay.

Quick Reply

Latest