The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juno
Not as good as GN125s :sadnod:

They look too cruiserish and I prefer the sports myself. Nothing beats goin round a bend at 70mph then skidding along the floor where all your skin peels off :teeth:

Are leather pants and jacket actually protective ? Like the sports ones you see ? I'd wear that if protective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2861
Original post by Numan786
They look too cruiserish and I prefer the sports myself. Nothing beats goin round a bend at 70mph then skidding along the floor where all your skin peels off :teeth:

Are leather pants and jacket actually protective ? Like the sports ones you see ? I'd wear that if protective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, skin peeling off is the best feeling in the whole world! I love it!
Original post by binarythoughts
Nah, I'll just ride it around this big parking lot. I'm not going to officially ride it haha

ah fair enough, enjoy

I want to filter but I'm afraid ill misjudge the space and end up scratching or hitting a car. Any tips to it ? Yeah heard they're sturdy but not great on the aesthetics scale.

Now if I could do it like this guy http://youtu.be/B4KqJYDwxsk
Posted from TSR Mobile

just take it slow, and not guess what cars are doing (with time it gets easier to predict what they will do)
your handlebars/mirrors are the widest bit of the bike and you can see them through the gaps. once they are passed then you know the rest will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

leathers are protective, hence why they are worn in racing.
textiles work too, and can give better weather protection.
Original post by Boristhethird
yay
bullet proof engine, plentyful parts, easy to fix. everything you want in a first bike.

you put any research into what helmets are quiet behind the SVs fairing?

good luck.

you done your CBT?

Nah, I've got a big head so I worry about fit first and worry about sound later, I always wear earplugs anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2864
Have the Kawasaki H2R started to have been delivered to customers worldwide? As there are owners riding the Kawasaki H2 videos on youtube but none riding the H2R that I can find, maybe they have not yet taken the H2R to the track yet? Also with a 120 db/122 db (depending on which report you read exhaust which tracks can the Kawasaki H2R be used at in the UK and not violate noise regulations?
ah fair enough, enjoy

just take it slow, and not guess what cars are doing (with time it gets easier to predict what they will do)
your handlebars/mirrors are the widest bit of the bike and you can see them through the gaps. once they are passed then you know the rest will be fine.

leathers are protective, hence why they are worn in racing.
textiles work too, and can give better weather protection.

Oh ok nice should probably get some then.Would you recommend a cbr125 or a cg125? I have a feeling if i go for cbr itll end up getting nicked.
Reply 2866
Oh ok nice should probably get some then.Would you recommend a cbr125 or a cg125? I have a feeling if i go for cbr itll end up getting nicked.

CBR125 is a lot to spend on a first bike and they are sought after. We've got a couple of CBF125s at work and I quite like them CG is a great bike for a first bike though - solid, good price, and you won't mind so much if you drop it.
What do you guys think about filtering ? Yay or nay ? Also what do you guys think about CG125's ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Filtering is fine is done safely. Start slow. make sure you have loads of space and as you get more confident and know the size of the bike you can then go fo smaller gaps. that said on a 125 you don't want to try to over take everything in sight, you dont have the power.

yay
bullet proof engine, plentyful parts, easy to fix. everything you want in a first bike.

you put any research into what helmets are quiet behind the SVs fairing?

you done your CBT?

Not the xsprint 2, iit's really really noisy. The x-sprint 1 was alright, qwest was alright. But i wear ear plugs by default.

I want to filter but I'm afraid ill misjudge the space and end up scratching or hitting a car. Any tips to it ? Yeah heard they're sturdy but not great on the aesthetics scale.

Now if I could do it like this guy http://youtu.be/B4KqJYDwxsk

But you have to remember practice, don't start trying to filter like a lunatic when you first learn to filter. I'm a nightmare with filtering, and do many things i shouldnt. You have to be aware that if it goes wrong you could easily end up dead. But we're off to wales in the bank holiday traffic so filtering may end up happening, but i'm following i think.

Leather is used in racing, i've crashed in leather and textiles, both have always help up fine. Textiles ae better if you are going to work/school and want to wear clothes underneath. Leathers are tighter and if you can fit your clothes underneath they get really creased. Textiles are generally better water wise. and warmer in winter
What do you guys think about filtering ? Yay or nay ? Also what do you guys think about CG125's ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Filtering is a good idea. Very safe when done correctly. Be careful though as experience is important worth filtering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F4LL3N
CBR125 is a lot to spend on a first bike and they are sought after. We've got a couple of CBF125s at work and I quite like them CG is a great bike for a first bike though - solid, good price, and you won't mind so much if you drop it.

Tbh it's only a few hundred extra for the cbr whereas the Cbf is more expensive compared to te cg125. Insurance aint too bad either I'm just worried it'll get nicked when parking it and going uni or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2870
Tbh it's only a few hundred extra for the cbr whereas the Cbf is more expensive compared to te cg125. Insurance aint too bad either I'm just worried it'll get nicked when parking it and going uni or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

CG would be my option tbh =)
Original post by F4LL3N
CG would be my option tbh =)

Old style or new style? Heard old are more reliable but in all honestly I prefer the cbr's design way more than the CG's.

If I could get a CG for say 700 and a cbr for 900, which would you choose?
Reply 2872
Old style or new style? Heard old are more reliable but in all honestly I prefer the cbr's design way more than the CG's.

If I could get a CG for say 700 and a cbr for 900, which would you choose?

Ask yourself - how upset will you be if you drop/crash it? The chance of damaging your first bike is pretty high. The cbr125s are really narrow, the r125s are better. If you're an experienced rider, get whatever you want, but never spend a lot on your first bike.
Hey F4LL3N, did you take up the offer to become an instructor? Had my first standards check a couple of weeks back; blokey from the DVSA said I wouldn't be too far off from going up to Cardington to take my CBT assessment, so the forms are being sent off soon with the aim to go up there in June some time.
Reply 2874
Original post by LandyJon
Hey F4LL3N, did you take up the offer to become an instructor? Had my first standards check a couple of weeks back; blokey from the DVSA said I wouldn't be too far off from going up to Cardington to take my CBT assessment, so the forms are being sent off soon with the aim to go up there in June some time.

Hello mate, I did take it up - still training at the moment. Will be aiming for cardington too but will be a while until I get there. Best of luck with it mate. One of ours is going up there in a couple of weeks =)
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/modernising-compulsory-basic-training-courses-for-motorcyclists There's a consultation for the CBT going on if you want to have a say on it.
Original post by F4LL3N
Ask yourself - how upset will you be if you drop/crash it? The chance of damaging your first bike is pretty high. The cbr125s are really narrow, the r125s are better. If you're an experienced rider, get whatever you want, but never spend a lot on your first bike.

Didnt even see this. Hmm I like the Cbr125r better well the look and heard its an excellent learner bike but like you say and from what ive read the cg125 is pretty durable and can take the damage and is less appealing to steal. If its a 200 quid difference what do you reckon? Im sold on the cbr but need advice from the experienced heads.
Didnt even see this. Hmm I like the Cbr125r better well the look and heard its an excellent learner bike but like you say and from what ive read the cg125 is pretty durable and can take the damage and is less appealing to steal. If its a 200 quid difference what do you reckon? Im sold on the cbr but need advice from the experienced heads.

i started (8yeas ago) on a 400cc bandit. It got dropped multiple times, but as it had no fairings it was just replacing the levers. I now have an sv650. Minimum a crash has cost me is leavers and fibreglass to repair panels. Without ebay the bike would have been written off mulitple times. You're looking at £50 + for panels.

In my bike group, daily a bike is nicked at the moment. When you get the bike ae you going to have a ground anchor? chain? disc lock? Being in a garage doesn't guarantee that it won't get stolen, a lot of them that are stolen have been in a garage. Have you compared insurance and fuel costs? You also need to check the excess on the insurance quotes, can you afford £1000 excess if the bike is stolen?
Reply 2878

Sports bikes are generally more sought after by thieves. Also there's a huge market for 125cc bikes. Also, a CBR 125 is going to cost a fair bit more than a CG 125, its unlikely to be a £200 difference. If you can find a CBR 125 in great mechanical condition - but which has a few scratches etc. then you could get them a bit cheaper - but would you want it? Insurance on the CG would be cheaper too. As I said before, if it was me learning again I'd go for the CG until I was a comfortable and safe rider. You can upgrade the bike later, especially if you do a full test. You won't lose much money on the CG either.
Original post by Bathwiggle
i started (8yeas ago) on a 400cc bandit. It got dropped multiple times, but as it had no fairings it was just replacing the levers. I now have an sv650. Minimum a crash has cost me is leavers and fibreglass to repair panels. Without ebay the bike would have been written off mulitple times. You're looking at £50 + for panels.

In my bike group, daily a bike is nicked at the moment. When you get the bike ae you going to have a ground anchor? chain? disc lock? Being in a garage doesn't guarantee that it won't get stolen, a lot of them that are stolen have been in a garage. Have you compared insurance and fuel costs? You also need to check the excess on the insurance quotes, can you afford £1000 excess if the bike is stolen?

I'm not too bothered about dropping and price of panels. Insurance there was like 100 quid difference so that's why I'm tempted for the cbr125 but it's te theft that's got me worried. I was thinking of fitting and immobiliser and maybe disc lock? I'm also gonna be a special constable soon so maybe I can register with the police or something? Excess is another thing. I think excess was like 100 or 200 not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending