The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Motorbiker

Looks awesome tbh.

Tbh a nice 125 will hit 90 indicated which is a comfortable 80 real speed. Not saying it will be easy and you'll get there instantly and you'll be revving it high in top gear and tucking in but ... :wink:

exactly 80mph :colone:
That's only if you're 16 and on a moped. On a 125 you are allowed on any road you want.

125s can do 80mph and handle themselves on a motorway fine.

Not if you're on L's!

Not sure what 125's you've been riding, but even the sportier ones can't hit 80, no way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Texan88
exactly 80mph :colone:

Original post by Imperial_Maniac
Not if you're on L's!

Not sure what 125's you've been riding, but even the sportier ones can't hit 80, no way.
Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad about the learner rules. U corrected myself later.

125s can hit 80 though. My 125 was an old trailie type and could get to an indicated 85 easily.

If you youtube it you can see people on the sportier ones getting up to indicated 90/95.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My bad about the learner rules. U corrected myself later.

125s can hit 80 though. My 125 was an old trailie type and could get to an indicated 85 easily.

If you youtube it you can see people on the sportier ones getting up to indicated 90/95.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They must be tiny people then!
Reply 384

I just checked and you're right. My bad.

You owe Boris an apology :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I am new here. I have a couple of questions to ask:

1. What scooter shall I buy for grocery shopping and commuting from London suburb to central London everyday?

2. Can I wear a skirt? I want to use it to commute to work. If not, what protective clothing would you recommend? Can I wear a shirt and trousers/skirt, then wear some protective coat for scooter?

3. Parking. I want to leave my (non existent) scooter in the free parking bay near London Liverpool Street station from 7:30am to 6:30pm. Is it a safe option?

Much appreciated,
:smile:
Original post by Juno
You owe Boris an apology :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell him I apologise profusely.

Original post by fastswift
Hi,

1. What scooter shall I buy for grocery shopping and commuting from London suburb to central London everyday?

2. Can I wear a skirt? I want to use it to commute to work. If not, what protective clothing would you recommend? Can I wear a shirt and trousers/skirt, then wear some protective coat for scooter?

3. Parking. I want to leave my (non existent) scooter in the free parking bay near London Liverpool Street station from 7:30am to 6:30pm. Is it a safe option?

Much appreciated,

1. Scooters are mostly fairly similar tbh. Just avoid chinese ones as they're un reliable. Go for something from a nice Japanese make like Honda and you're fine.

2. Depends how much you value the skin on your legs? Even at 30mph it's enough to remove a lot of skin from your legs. I'd buy protective trousers, jacket, boots , gloves and helmet. Of course if it's all low speed you can get cheaper trousers and boots and gloves than if you were flying down motorways but still get a cheap pair add they're a lot better than nothing.

3. Buy a big lock for it and don't buy third party only insurance and you'll be fine.

Feel free to ask any more questions and even posts bikes for us to look at if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Much appreciated,

Any scooter with underseat storage will be fine :smile:

My personal favourite is the mighty Burgman. I assume you don't have a license yet so the best you'd be able to do is a 125 Burgman on L's.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-Burgman-125-2002-current/

Reply 388
Hi,

You can wear a skirt. I wouldn;t. I would be more likely to wear bike trousers with a skirt tucked in the waist band as i like my skin and don't want road rash. If you look in the OP at road rash queen you'll see what i mean.

I use protective over trousers and jackets, with my work clothes underneath.

Normally find a large group of scooters/bikes parked together, there counts as safe,
Much appreciated,

As a side note, i don't like 50cc scooters, get a 125 scooter or bike. Gives you a chance of getting out of the way of idiots.
Reply 389
Original post by Bathwiggle
As a side note, i don't like 50cc scooters, get a 125 scooter or bike. Gives you a chance of getting out of the way of idiots.

Talking about the links, I think the page about the bike test is outdated now?

EDIT: I think the only one that works/is up to date is the government one, can someone else check it's not just me?
(edited 10 years ago)

Damn Straight! :colone:

still not entierly sure what you are apologising for though
Reply 391
Original post by Boristhethird
Damn Straight! :colone:

still not entierly sure what you are apologising for though

Because you were sleeping and then martin was wrong and woke you up :sad:
Hello :smile:
I was wondering what most of you paid for getting your license. They just changed the law in the Netherlands which means I have to wait until I'm 24 to be able to ride a proper motorcycle (and with proper I mean about 600 cc, not too crazy). I'm 18 now and I have been wanting to ride since I was little, so I'm way too impatient to wait 6 years :tongue: since I am probably going to study in the UK, I'm kind of looking for how much it's going to cost if I choose to do it there.
Original post by Plurkie
Hello :smile:
I was wondering what most of you paid for getting your license. They just changed the law in the Netherlands which means I have to wait until I'm 24 to be able to ride a proper motorcycle (and with proper I mean about 600 cc, not too crazy). I'm 18 now and I have been wanting to ride since I was little, so I'm way too impatient to wait 6 years :tongue: since I am probably going to study in the UK, I'm kind of looking for how much it's going to cost if I choose to do it there.

Unfortunately our laws were also brought into line with the EU regs recently :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imperial_Maniac
Unfortunately our laws were also brought into line with the EU regs recently :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh noooo I missed that one! I don't understand how those nutters in the commission came up with it, it's not safe riding a 125 cc motorscooter that can barely reach 90 km/h (without wearing out the cylinder block real fast) on the highway. At least in the Netherlands, I'm not really familiar with the roads in the UK.

I guess I'll be emigrating to New Zealand or something then
Reply 395
Original post by Plurkie
Oh noooo I missed that one! I don't understand how those nutters in the commission came up with it, it's not safe riding a 125 cc motorscooter that can barely reach 90 km/h (without wearing out the cylinder block real fast) on the highway. At least in the Netherlands, I'm not really familiar with the roads in the UK.

I guess I'll be emigrating to New Zealand or something then

At 19 you can get a bike with 46.6BHP, I think the new CBF500 is around this. I have an ER5 which is restricted to 33BHP atm (it's 48BHP normally) and it feels like it will do over 100 (never actually gone that high though) and will out accelerate nearly everything on the road. So it's not as if you can't get a proper bike.

I'm not sure if the laws are the same in the Netherlands, but if it's standardised across the EU it's bound to be similar.
Reply 396
Original post by Maccees
Talking about the links, I think the page about the bike test is outdated now?

EDIT: I think the only one that works/is up to date is the government one, can someone else check it's not just me?

Blame martin, he took over editting it after i threw a strop and threatened to delete it all, it's his problem now unless i get bored :biggrin:

1. Scooters are mostly fairly similar tbh. Just avoid chinese ones as they're un reliable. Go for something from a nice Japanese make like Honda and you're fine.

2. Depends how much you value the skin on your legs? Even at 30mph it's enough to remove a lot of skin from your legs. I'd buy protective trousers, jacket, boots , gloves and helmet. Of course if it's all low speed you can get cheaper trousers and boots and gloves than if you were flying down motorways but still get a cheap pair add they're a lot better than nothing.

3. Buy a big lock for it and don't buy third party only insurance and you'll be fine.

Feel free to ask any more questions and even posts bikes for us to look at if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reply.

Is the Taiwanese brand like Kymco and SYM ok? My budget is around 1k only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This bike looks very cool! Sadly it is too expansive.

I read somewhere that the heat from the engine can make your food go bad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bathwiggle

I think I'll get a 125cc scooter. Honda somehow managed to manufacture scooters that are 100cc. They are cheaper than the 125cc. What's your thought about it? My journey will be 50mile a day, on the A3, from zone 6 to zone 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending