The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical school Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goldenslumberer
Actually, yeah, I do! They're both sort of friends of mine. What's your name? I'll ask them if they know you. On the subject of whether I'd be international or EU/Home, I'm actually not sure. Even though I'll have lived in the EU for 3 years upon entry, I'm not an EU citizen, so I'm really not sure. I've gotten a lot of conflicting information from admissions people I've emailed or called.

Since I am in a similar situation I might be able to help you out.

to b EU/home,
you need to be a EU citizen/ Gain Settled status in a EU country
Have lived there 3 years prior to entry
and....you main purpose for being an EU citizen is NOT to be in full time education.

You have to meet all three to get EU/Home. hope that helps :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by Dr. Django
I thought Edinburgh didn't interview???

I guess I mixed Edinburgh up with another university, sorry all!
Reply 182
I thought Edinburgh didn't interview???

Might be for grad med or international applicants.
Reply 183
Guys I just did my UKCAT.. was wondering if 730 average is good enough. And does anyone know how important Situation judgement is going to be in the selection process? I got only band 3 there...

OHH AND ALSO. Does this school, or any med school in the UK, provide scholarships for international students? the fees are quite steep :\
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by ippington
Edinburgh's website states that applicants with a UKCAT score of over 800 get an automatic interview.

Do you happen to know Livia Bridgette and Cezanne Morteo? I was with them in placement in Thailand!

Edinburgh don't interview- are you sure it's not another school you're talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
So I think I should be scoring near or around full marks for academics (GCSE- 8A* 2A AS- AAAA A2- (predicted) A* A* A*) although maybe not as I don't have achieved grades.
UKCAT- 747.5- top quartile?????
I have SJT Band 2 although I still think I'm going to apply!!
Can anyone advise me on PS- what are Edinburgh looking for specifically?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I am going to apply for Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds but I am unsure as to where t apply for my fourth option. At GCSE I received 10 A*'s and an A and AAAB at AS Level in biology, chemistry, Spanish and history. In the UKCAT I got an average of 692.5 and Band 1 in situational judgement. I've been thinking about Edinburgh but I'm not sure whether I'd be academically strong enough to do this without essentially 'wasting' an option. Any opinions?!
Original post by Raku
Guys I just did my UKCAT.. was wondering if 730 average is good enough. And does anyone know how important Situation judgement is going to be in the selection process? I got only band 3 there...

730 is good enough. SJT band makes up 15% of your overall score.

OHH AND ALSO. Does this school, or any med school in the UK, provide scholarships for international students? the fees are quite steep :\

I'm pretty sure they have various bursaries (as with many UK universities) - look on the university website to see what is available.

Original post by prafto
So I think I should be scoring near or around full marks for academics (GCSE- 8A* 2A AS- AAAA A2- (predicted) A* A* A*) although maybe not as I don't have achieved grades.
UKCAT- 747.5- top quartile?????
I have SJT Band 2 although I still think I'm going to apply!!
Can anyone advise me on PS- what are Edinburgh looking for specifically?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are not looking for anything specifically. They look for potential in certain categories (can be found on their website and selector's handbook). A wide range of activities can demonstrate this so there is no specific list.

Original post by jesscoulthurst
Hey! I am going to apply for Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds but I am unsure as to where t apply for my fourth option. At GCSE I received 10 A*'s and an A and AAAB at AS Level in biology, chemistry, Spanish and history. In the UKCAT I got an average of 692.5 and Band 1 in situational judgement. I've been thinking about Edinburgh but I'm not sure whether I'd be academically strong enough to do this without essentially 'wasting' an option. Any opinions?!

Your GCSEs are strong, and if you have all A predictions for A levels, then your academic score will be very competitive. UKCAT-wise, 692.5 will most likely put you in the 2nd quartile so although not 'perfect,' your application is strong. Overall, Edinburgh is a realistic choice and definitely not a wasted application.
Hi there,

hopefully i shall be applying to edinburgh this year, im confident with academics ( predicted 4A*'s bio,chem,phys,maths and 3110 ukcat, 11 A*'s at gcse and igcse) but im a bit worried about the non academics, ive reflected upon several placements in my personal statement but upon reading the extracurricular bit its got me worried. All ive mentioned is the band i play in and music that i play.

Also the SJT i appreciate this may be hard to answer due to total lack of sufficient data but is there any idea at all, the bare minimum would help immensely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by biscuitman
Hi there,

hopefully i shall be applying to edinburgh this year, im confident with academics ( predicted 4A*'s bio,chem,phys,maths and 3110 ukcat, 11 A*'s at gcse and igcse) but im a bit worried about the non academics, ive reflected upon several placements in my personal statement but upon reading the extracurricular bit its got me worried. All ive mentioned is the band i play in and music that i play.

Also the SJT i appreciate this may be hard to answer due to total lack of sufficient data but is there any idea at all, the bare minimum would help immensely.

Last year full marks for academics wasn't enough to get an offer, as I discovered. I was told I lost one mark overall due to EC's - but I played 4 sports seriously, one to national level, and also played an instrument and painted - so I was left wondering what they are looking for and what more I could possibly have done. So I would recommend expanding on your EC's if you can. Good luck.
Original post by HCubed
Last year full marks for academics wasn't enough to get an offer, as I discovered. I was told I lost one mark overall due to EC's - but I played 4 sports seriously, one to national level, and also played an instrument and painted - so I was left wondering what they are looking for and what more I could possibly have done. So I would recommend expanding on your EC's if you can. Good luck.

You lost 1 mark overall and weren't given an offer? So is it necessary to get full marks for an offer?
Original post by SomePotential
You lost 1 mark overall and weren't given an offer? So is it necessary to get full marks for an offer?

I am sure I lost much more than one point (probably around 4 or 5) and I am at Edinburgh now :wink: even though my offer was somewhat unconventional (put on the waiting list first)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Original post by Asklepios
I am sure I lost much more than one point (probably around 4 or 5) and I am at Edinburgh now :wink: even though my offer was somewhat unconventional (put on the waiting list first)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite a few get in off the waiting list with a lower score :mad:, as I think most years they have spaces on results day. But yes, it does seem that you need a near perfect score to get an initial offer.
How do they view GCSE resits. I resat English lang and lit in year 11 (because I got 2 B's in year 10) and got A* and A. Would the resit count against me?
Original post by HCubed
Quite a few get in off the waiting list with a lower score :mad:, as I think most years they have spaces on results day. But yes, it does seem that you need a near perfect score to get an initial offer.

Why couldn't they just have made 350 offers initially. Should have saved some stress.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Why couldn't they just have made 350 offers initially. Should have saved some stress.
Posted from TSR Mobile

They do make around that number but I guess a few don't accept the offers and some more will miss their grades. I think for non-Scottish applicants it's about 150 offers for 100 odd places.
Original post by HCubed
They do make around that number but I guess a few don't accept the offers and some more will miss their grades. I think for non-Scottish applicants it's about 150 offers for 100 odd places.

My feedback was that I was top 340 and they made 300 offers, but I guess I got in through the waiting list.
My feedback was that I was top 340 and they made 300 offers, but I guess I got in through the waiting list.

Can I ask what your stats were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
i think I have pretty much a 'perfect' score for the first 85% of the scoring (academics/UKCAT/SJT) but im really concerned about the final 15% on extra curriculars as I only have 1 good one as it takes up so much time :/ the rest are rather generic!! Do you think this will disadvantage me?? It seems almost impossible to get full EC's score!
Original post by dadiamondz
Can I ask what your stats were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All As in exams (scottish)
UKCAT 680

PS wise it was the standard volunteering and hospital work experience. Played a bit of cricket for school and club.

Hey guys,
i think I have pretty much a 'perfect' score for the first 85% of the scoring (academics/UKCAT/SJT) but im really concerned about the final 15% on extra curriculars as I only have 1 good one as it takes up so much time :/ the rest are rather generic!! Do you think this will disadvantage me?? It seems almost impossible to get full EC's score!

The three categories they look at are personal qualities (general overall suitability for medicine), career exploration (work exp/voluntary work with diseases/disadvantaged/disabled), and non-academic achievements (music, sport, dofe etc). You only really need 1 or 2 things to talk about in each category - it is better to reflect well on less things than list many things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending